Talk

Advanced search

Help to be stylish immediately after baby while bfing please

(14 Posts)
skandi1 Sat 16-Jul-11 09:32:57

yes it's a challenge! Any ideas? I am carrying a fair bit of extra weight so there is no chance of getting into anything in my old wardrobe.

I am 5'10" and a 14/16 (normally 12).

Also needs to be practical as have 2 year old with sticky fingers too.

Any wise gems of advice much appreciated as feel fat and frumpy.

skandi1 Sat 16-Jul-11 11:59:46

Bump. Too much of a challenge?

CountBapula Sat 16-Jul-11 13:04:18

I bought a few breastvests - they are genius for bfing without flashing mummy tummy. Then I bought a couple of pairs of nice jeans - I like Gap's Real Straight fit - and a selection of floaty/non fitted tops from places like Dorothy Perkins, New Look and Peacocks - no point in spending loads if you're hoping to go back to your normal size afterwards. I'm loving tops like this with the straight leg jeans and flat sandals. They've run out of my size angry but think they have 16s left.

LuckyMrsT Sat 16-Jul-11 13:47:34

I am in the same boat with very similar measurements to you. DS is now 15 weeks and I have only just got out of my maternity jeans (in my defense they were nice skinny ones and you couldn't tell).

I have given up on the idea of trying to be fashionable until I stop BFing and get rid of the tummy. I am settling for looking tidy and as slim as possible in a uniform of:

Stretchy skinny jeans in a size up (bought in the Zara sale - really didn't want to spend loads on intermediate clothes).
Plain vest tops/t shirts. I'm still wearing my maternity ones from Topshop and H&M as they are nice and long for optimum belly coverage - if you are tall you will know how it is. Again noone can tell if they're maternity so who cares?
Longline slim fitting cardis worn open for ease of BFing and backside coverage. I think they have a slimming effect somehow.
Various ballet flats.
Large handbags to double as change bags.

To be honest this is what I'd probably be wearing anyway as I've never been that brave in the fashion department.

I am making an effort to do my hair and make up every day and I've just bought some nice knickers to compensate for me having to live in plain Jane nursing tops.

easilydistracted Sat 16-Jul-11 13:58:05

Hi, I'm in much the same boat (DS2 now 11 weeks) and doing mainly dresses with v-necks and tank tops underneath. That's sort of the 'opposite' to what CountBapula is doing -- I'm buying low v-necks and button-down shirts so that I push outer layer down and raise the tank top I have on underneath to bf, does that make sense? Also wearing one of two pairs of cropped trousers/leggings with long bf tops. Feel constrained but I know it won't last forever -- also most of my dresses are not 'breastfeeding' but just random things i've found with deep enough v-necks! great as you don't need a top and a bottom to pick out.

TheProvincialLady Sat 16-Jul-11 13:59:03

You don't have to wear nursing tops though do you? You can buy a large vest top and hoik it down so that the fabric starts under your boobs, then wear something attractive over the top. Gives you loads more options and still keeps your tummy covered if you feel self conscious. I also used to wear a vest top under a wrap top or dress, then lift the vest up to keep the breast covered and move the top over a bit.

CountBapula Sat 16-Jul-11 14:28:01

Sorry, didn't explain the breastvest properly. It's a vest you wear under your top. It's cut to sit underneath your bra, so you don't have to pull anything down IYSWIM. You just wear any top over it, then when you need to feed you hoik your top up, unclip bra and go.

It gives you more options than 'proper' nursing tops, because you can just wear regular tops over it.

iWILLdothis Sat 16-Jul-11 15:14:59

thanks for link, CountBapula....I like the look of those breastvests and have saved the link to get some if BF works for me this time.

Gwlondon Sat 16-Jul-11 15:28:29

www.babeswithbabies.com/

www.prettypregnant.co.uk/Home.php

www.blossommotherandchild.com/

These are some of the companies I have used.

ComradeJing Sat 16-Jul-11 15:57:23

I love babeswithbabies. Fab customer service too.

I bought a heap of breastfeeding vests and just dressed as usual. My one absolute was a beautiful nappybag. I love the storksak ones but would love a petunia pickle bottom (though some of the prints are a tad twee).

LauLauLemon Sat 16-Jul-11 16:08:56

Definitely not too much of a challenge.

Wrap around jersey dresses, a good nursing bra that doesn't give you a uniboob, a smart pair of sandals/pumps/ballet flats/heels if you can face them.

skandi1 Sat 16-Jul-11 17:31:31

Thank you all for the excellent ideas. Love the bra vest idea. The web link for babes with babies was great too. Am going to order two tops from them.

Love the idea of skinny jeans with sandals/flats. However due to massive tummy and fresh CS scar I suspect it will be quite a while before I can wear anything which resembles jeans or normal trousers.

Any good ideas for my bottom half? Are leggings just too hideous post natally to consider or are they still ok?

Bear in mind my tum is huge and will remain so for quite a long time. I had an 8cm diastisis/separation with my first baby and I am pretty sure I have split badly again with DC2 but as he is just a week old it's too soon to tell how badly.

Btw good soft comfy but nice looking ballet flats-where is best??

daisythelabradoodle Sat 16-Jul-11 18:34:54

You could try one of these My best friend has about 3 and wore them through her pregnancy and BF very practical and make you feel lovely too https://www.facebook.com/pages/CEE-Chic/110521819036748 very small brand and good prices too

LuckyMrsT Sat 16-Jul-11 18:43:48

Leggings are fine. I realised after I posted that I had missed them off my list. I am wearing my black Topshop maternity ones still as they have a nice soft high waist - so great if you have to hoik your top up to feed. I'm not a fan of the cropped sort mind, ankle length look much nicer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now