Talk

Advanced search

Urgent! I'm going back to work Monday and doing a 'crap I have nothing to wear' shop today. What do I need? Small budget.

(23 Posts)
BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 13-Jul-11 09:03:14

Go back to work on Monday after 10 months mat leave. Most of my current clothes are either from when I was pg or are too small. I'm about a stone over my previous and desirable weight (approx size 14, and 5'2).

My work doesn't really have a dress code (office based) smart/casual will do. I have a small budget of about a £100, some of which is in new look vouchers. What basics should I get to keep me going?

Gillybobs Wed 13-Jul-11 09:23:46

I'd probably go for 2 pairs of tailored trousers and a smartish dress, looking at New Look website you should be able to bring this in under £60. There are loads of good high street sales on just now so you could pick up easily 3 smart tops with the rest of your cash, how about this or this or this.

Shoe wise Dorothy Perkins have these which are a bargain at £15

HTH

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 13-Jul-11 09:27:25

I have got some nice shift dresses from Tesco, of all places. Some of their stuff is vile but I have some nice stuff. There is usually some stuff reduced as well.

I haven't been in New Look for yonks, but agree a couple of pairs of trousers, a shift dress, some tops and some cardigans, and a new pair of shoes would be a good start.

George at Asda is worth a look as well. Also I was in Primarché last week with dd and they had some shift dresses/trouser and shirt combos in there and they were really cheap.

CountBapula Wed 13-Jul-11 09:38:40

Just popping in to say good luck (Bumper that is you, isn't it? Hope the DDs let you get some sleep grin)

I'm going back end Sept and have about three smart items of clothing that fit me so will end up doing a similar shopping trip very soon, I'm sure. It's my boobs; they're just massive still blush

Poledra Wed 13-Jul-11 09:44:56

Cor, don't listen to GetOrf - shes a particle physicist - what do they know about style and beauty?

<Disclaimer - I am actually a great admirer of the woman in the picture - just can't resist an oppotunity to poke GetOrf with a stick grin>

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 13-Jul-11 09:52:09

Thanks for the tips. God, I hadn't even thought about shoes. I lived in my Scholl flip flops last summer as my feet were so swollen for about 3 months.

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 13-Jul-11 09:56:18

Sorry disappeared to resettle (i.e. feed) DD2 and didn't refresh. If I don't have any luck in town will pop to the supermarket. Not sure my post baby tummy will cope with a shift dress...

<Ahem> Getorf, where were you on Saturday? Hmmmmm?

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 13-Jul-11 10:00:10

Hi Count BTW, yes, tis I smile

DD2 mostly sleeping through the night, still knackered though as I have about 18 months of broken sleep to make up for. V nervous about going back and having to converse with adults and remember stuff!

Poledra Wed 13-Jul-11 10:08:02

Bumper, you'll be fiiine - just think, you might actually get to drink a cup of coffee while it's still hot! And you won't have to wipe anyone else's bum! (Unless you're a nurse or healthcare assistant, in which case I suppose you might)(but you're based in an office so it seems unlikely). And you won't have to watch any tedious children's TV!

CountBapula Wed 13-Jul-11 10:21:03

That's brill, Bumper - really glad she's sleeping through. DS isn't by a long shot, but he's still got a couple of months in which to pull his Baby Gap socks up grin

I did a KIT day last week and actually enjoyed being able to sit down without someone clambering over my lap, and actually focus on something without constantly getting interrupted blush

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 13-Jul-11 10:21:16

grin pol. That so looks like me with a hangover grin

Bumper shock Was it last week? I completely bloody forgot, i was wondering vageuley when it was and thought is was at the end of July.

Oh shit. sad

Monty27 Wed 13-Jul-11 10:24:22

I've been wearing shifts to work all summer (?). It saves time mixing and matching imho and a neutral coloured pair of shoes and a pair of sandals should do the footwear issue.

Agree with New Look, Tesco, Asda etc for a tight budget. Oasis have a few bargains at the minute too.

Good luck.

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 13-Jul-11 10:30:34

Don't worry getorf you weren't were missed grin

When you guys say shift dresses can you give me an example?

Gillybobs Wed 13-Jul-11 10:34:22

something like this

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 13-Jul-11 10:36:24

I have got this direct.asda.com/george/women-s-clothing/black-linen-formal-dress/GEM67200,default,pd.html Is great for humid days.

this is a shift dress vile colour but you get the idea re shape

FoxyRevenger Wed 13-Jul-11 10:36:26

Wrap dresses, as many as you can get!

I just started back to work and only bought dresses. it's easier to get ready, you only have to put one thing on, there's none of this oh does this top go with those trousers nonsense...

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 13-Jul-11 12:12:59

Thanks for all the tips. Love the shift dresses but not sure if they will go with my podgy tummy and breastfeeding boobs sad

Right, off out. Have managed to get a last min hair appointment with my groupon voucher too so hopefully I will look fairly respectable. As long as I wipe the biscuit prints off my clothes!

Mumelie Wed 13-Jul-11 14:36:48

I rely on dresses for work as per Foxy - no messing about with what goes with what. Got a fair few in the sales at good prices. If you have time to order online, Great Plains have some absolute bargains to be had. Just ordered this one. Think a large is a size 14 so there is some left in the pilot and grey colours (both good for work). Fab now with sandals and good in the winter with boots and a cardi/jersey blazer.
Dorothy Perkins. GAP and Wallis are also good for cheap workwear and should still have lots of sale stuff left.
Oh and good luck back at work grin

Gillybobs Wed 13-Jul-11 15:02:45

Mumelie, I ordered that dress in grey yesterday, totally agree its fab for now and will look great with tights/cardi and boots in winter. Love Great Plains stuff, Ive been buying it for 5 or 6 years and still wearing it often.

Hufflepuzzpig Wed 13-Jul-11 15:05:17

Ooh marking place. I'll be starting my first job after 4 years as a SAHM soon - I've been living in jeans and trainers!

It's in a library, quite smart, but I don't want anything too restrictive as I'll be bending/shelving/lifting as well as doing rhyme time with toddlers...

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Wed 13-Jul-11 15:17:46

I wish I had more trousers and fewer skirts/dresses, as I find de-hairing a struggle to fit in tbh!

Carry baby wipes in your handbag and check yourself before you go into the office - I worked a whole day last wk with a big blob of masticated biscuit on my shoulder, not stylish.

Meglet Wed 13-Jul-11 15:22:15

I went to Primark and bought 3 pairs of black trouser and 3 pin-striped blouses when I went back. In the winter I am terribly daring and get 3 pull-overs too.

Part of me hates being so boring at work but at least I know what I'm wearing everyday and the blokes all seem to get away with pin striped shirts and trousers so I can too.

My out of work wardrobe is much trendier.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 13-Jul-11 15:50:16

I always wear dresses to work - it is a lot easier than trousers/skirts and tops I find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now