Talk

Advanced search

Am going to the Manoir au quatre saisons on Thursday... what should I wear??

(22 Posts)
funnypeculiar Tue 12-Jul-11 14:23:04

(evening meal)
All my 'nice' dresses are a bit too wedding-y, linen trews seem too casual - help, what does one wear??

Pagwatch Tue 12-Jul-11 14:26:43

I would not wear linen trousers.
I would wear cocktail dress. If it is hot you will get away with something more casual.

Pagwatch Tue 12-Jul-11 14:28:30

You will find people coming in for supper will be pretty formal. But hotel residents tend to be a bit more casual.

worldgonecrazy Tue 12-Jul-11 14:29:11

LBD or the least weddingy of your dresses. Maybe smart trousers and a nice top?

Having said that, last time I went to dinner at Claridges (not quite as posh but close), nearly all the diners were wearing variations on smart jeans.

Pagwatch Tue 12-Jul-11 14:30:47

Claridges is more casual because it is city centre. Le manoir is country house style so more formal. People were not even wearing jeans at lunch when I was there.
Dress.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 12-Jul-11 14:40:20

not...at...all...jealous OP

have wanted to go there for years lucky you.

definitely agree with Pag, must be a dress.

I went for dinner in a fairly up market hotel recently (outside london) and wore a silk dress but dressed it down with flat gold sandals and felt fine.

there was a whole spectrum of outfits, and almost anything went from sequined jackets....to trousers and smart tops...to dresses.

have a lovely time.

funnypeculiar Tue 12-Jul-11 14:45:33

grin So, Boden-y type cocktail dress?

Am very excited - and slightly bemused by the fact that even though it's been in diary for about 4 months, have only just realised I need to dress for the occasion...

funnypeculiar Tue 12-Jul-11 14:46:05

Or silky black/silver dress?

LovelyDaffs Tue 12-Jul-11 14:46:17

I've been a few times (yes I do know how wanky that sounds) and went for a cocktail dress every time, which worked well. Surely this is an excuse to go shopping? The food is fab, I wish I were going.

Pagwatch Tue 12-Jul-11 14:46:41

Well not for me. I fucking hate Boden. But that sort of thing

TattyDevine Tue 12-Jul-11 15:06:10

Yep, cocktail dress.

I love that place, I think it has 3 michelin stars dunnit. Yummy.

BelleDameSansMerci Tue 12-Jul-11 15:08:48

Another vote for cocktail dress.

It's lovely and the staff are fabulous too - attentive when you need it, leave you alone when you don't.

wineandcheese Tue 12-Jul-11 15:11:02

Oh lucky you! Drove past it on Saturday and dropped big hints to DP.

Never been but suggestions of cocktail dress sound good. Make sure it's comfortable so you can enjoy your feast!

Pagwatch Tue 12-Jul-11 15:11:11

Forgot to say - have a lovely time.

LRDTheFeministNutcase Tue 12-Jul-11 15:14:27

Oooh, wow! Just saw this as you're in active convos and had to pop in to express my envy. grin

Hope you have a lovely time.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Tue 12-Jul-11 15:14:33

An elasticated waist!

Rindercella Tue 12-Jul-11 15:39:30

Silky silver/black dress.

It is fabulous...enjoy grin

<not jealous>
<not jealous>
<not jealous>

mumblechum2 Tue 12-Jul-11 15:41:21

When we went there for dh's birthday I wore a knee length shift dress in dark red with a bit of silver embroidery, and silver shoes

Have a lovely time.

littlelapin Tue 12-Jul-11 15:42:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

funnypeculiar Tue 12-Jul-11 16:33:31

grin Thank you all for your expressions of envy - having been really excited when we booked it, I've been flat out at work for the couple of weeks & have a stinking cold and was slightly starting to think "Oh, another Thing To Do". You have all reminded me why we booked it (10th wedding anniversary)

funnypeculiar Tue 12-Jul-11 16:34:33

And thank your too for your clothing suggestions. Am off to check if I fit into any of the dresses I have in mind...

higgle Tue 12-Jul-11 16:49:55

I'm jealous too - I'd suggest you avoid silk because it is so difficult to get stains out of if you eat in too piggy a fashion and spill some !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now