Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you find me a moisturiser? Mission impossible!

(35 Posts)
prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 14:09:45

I've been using Olay double protection nourish and protect sensitive day cream.
It's not doing the job frankly.
I have:
Dry skin
Uneven skin tone
Red cheeks and nose
Occasional spots
Shiny forehead
I want:
To not look haggard (fine, miracles don't happen!)
Moisturised skin that doesn't make my make up look dry and powdery.
To help my uneven skin tone
To lessen the redness- I have No7 green cream and frankly I just look a green powdery mess.
I'm late twenties but getting some lines- seriously!
SPF included if possible.
Budget £10-15

If you could recommend an under eye concealer for less than a tenner too it would be most appreciated.

prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 14:11:30

Tatty I'm sure you have given good moisturiser advice in the past.
I know SPF is important.
My budget is low sadly sad

prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 14:13:27

Ooh and when I say the Olay one isn't doing the job it's not moisturising enough.
I use a good cleanser and exfoliate with Clarins orange cleansing scrub. It's just the moisturiser I can't get right.

BigBadBear Tue 12-Jul-11 14:19:30

It's a bit over budget but I've recently started using Origins VitaZing. It's truly astonishing. My skin is also dry and a bit uneven in tone, and this really makes a difference. It's also tinted so you don't have to use foundation (or concealer), and is SPF15 so no need for sunscreen. So while it is over £20, it does lots of jobs so you save money on other things, and a little goes a long way - I got a sample four weeks ago and it is still going strong.

If you go to your local department store and ask nicely, the Origins person may well give you a sample.

prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 14:29:18

Ooh, that sounds interesting and tinted would save time, trying to put make up on with DS about is a rave against time.
What's the coverage like?

Origins- John Lewis or Boots?

FreakoidOrganisoid Tue 12-Jul-11 14:29:59

I have similar skin and like this. Doesn't especially help with the redness but is a good base for makeup.

BigBadBear Tue 12-Jul-11 14:50:39

I'm not a huge foundation user but find VitaZing about right - it evens out my skin and makes it look really good without looking (or feeling) cakey (deos that make sense?). I also have eczema and it doesn't irritate my skin at all - in fact, my skin is calmer than it has been for ages on it.

I got mine from House of Fraser, but I'm sure most department stores have an Origins counter. Not sure about Boots.

prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 15:02:11

I'll have a look in JL. We don't have a House of Fraser annoyingly.

Any more suggestions?

SleepyFergus Tue 12-Jul-11 15:19:35

I like the no 7 Protect and Perfect Day Moisturiser. There are 2 types and this is the 'gold' or 'extra' one. (sorry, at work so can't check)

It has an SPF of 15 and I find it is very velvety and a good base for make up. It's about £22 per pot but I find a little gies a long way. I'm sure they would give you a tiny sample to try, and there are frequent offers on etc.

Pippaandpolly Tue 12-Jul-11 15:27:23

It's a little bit over your budget but Liz Earle moisturisers are fantastic - I use the one for dry skin. uk.lizearle.com/cleanse-tone-moisturise/skin-repair-moisturiser-dry-sensitive.html (Hope that link works - am rubbish at links.)
No SPF though so I add the Clarins 40+ on top.

orangina Tue 12-Jul-11 16:18:04

I have recently been using a moisturiser w some spf (can't remember, maybe 20?) by Avene, formulated for sensitive skins. It is LOVELY. Within your price range too. Don't think it promises much in terms of anti aging, but it is a good moisturiser.

Perhaps a decent day moisturiser and a night anti aging serum? There was something nice I was given a sample of by Origins for evening use.....

ChristieF Tue 12-Jul-11 16:18:36

I have extremely sensitive skin and it sounds like yours is too. I recently turned 50 and people tell me I look ten years younger (I don't feel it-shocking menopause but that's another issue). I have allergies to almost everything and always have had and they've increased over the years. It took me many years to discover that I was allergic to lanolin (which is common), SLS, perfumes, dyes etc. I leave my skin alone as much as possible. I certainly do not use toners. The "miracle" for me was to discover Cusson's Mild Cream soap. This is an old fashoned moisturising soap. I buy it in bulk at Waitrose, but I think Tesco sell it too. I wash with this then moisturise. I have had bad (swelling, nettle rash,swollen eyes etc) to every face cream I've ever used, and I've used many brands. Simple for eg is not hypo-allergenic-I react to it. E45 contains lanolin! A major allergen for a lot of people. In 35 years of buying face cream I discovered No 7 Protect and Perfect a few years ago. This has been fantastic. I use the ordinary day cream and the eye cream. I reacted badly to the night cream and the serum. I have also recently discovered Nivea's new cream for de-sensitising skin. This is great too. I've even used it around the eyes with no reaction and at £5 much cheaper than P&P. I will probably have to stop using the Boots stuff soon as I've noticed lately that my eyeballs and tear glands are swollen. Went to doc but not a lot they can do.

orangina Tue 12-Jul-11 16:19:47

this is it....

nokissymum Tue 12-Jul-11 16:20:15

I use acqueos cream, its true and faithful

nokissymum Tue 12-Jul-11 16:22:26

Just to add, not on my face though!

Havingkittens Tue 12-Jul-11 16:25:52

This is very good. A lot of professional make up artists use it as a base. Just about scrapes in to your budget and ticks all your boxes!

www.boots.com/en/LA-ROCHE-POSAY-ROSALIAC-XL-Skin-Perfecting-Anti-Redness-Moisturiser-40ml_865614/?CAWELAID=344475031&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-LA%20ROCHEPOSAY%20ROSALIAC%20XL%20Skin%20Perfecting%20AntiRedness%20Moisturiser%2040ml

I really like this concealer, for under eyes or blemishes, but a little bit more than £10 - not much though, and worth the spend as a little goes a looong way! You have to be really gentle on the pump, literally a 3mm blob will cover under both eyes and quite a few blemishes.

www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/shaded/157/10181/Pro-Longwear-Concealer/index.tmpl

prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 16:28:40

I like the fact you can buy a tiny Liz Earle one to try.
I know Ms Earle is a favourite on here, I haven't tried any of her products before.

Rosietheriveter28 Tue 12-Jul-11 16:34:32

I've been using something from the US called Nutraderm. You can find it online for about £22 for a huge bottle. I've had acne all my life and then went on roaccutane, which cleared up the acne but then gave me eczema and dry skin. I still get spot breakouts and it helps during those but it's really really light and moisturises nicely without sitting on the skin.

Here's a link www.amazon.co.uk/Nutraderm-Therapeutic-Lotion-16-473/dp/B004HGUD82/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1310484836&sr=1-1

prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 16:35:59

Thanks having kittens!
I really need a mac makeup session tbh. I just don't know what suits me these days. I always hear good things about them.
That moisturiser looks really good too.
Oh dear, too much choice now!
I need a trip to the city once I've given birth.

Do serums work do we know?
My skin isn't that sensitive just have an unfortunate combination of red cheeks and black circles under eyes. I sound gorgeous!

lucykate Tue 12-Jul-11 16:40:12

it doesn't have spf but the only moisturiser i've ever used on my face is plain old nivea.

Jammygal Tue 12-Jul-11 17:36:28

Another vote here for Liz earle.....find the skin repair fantastic and they have a good offer on atm ;)

prolificwillybreeder Tue 12-Jul-11 17:38:43

Is that on her website jammy?

threefeethighandrising Tue 12-Jul-11 18:09:54

Someone with dry skin was singing the praises of avocado oil as a night cream on here the other day.

thread here

MumblingRagDoll Tue 12-Jul-11 18:15:37

E45. I have all the issues you have and nothing beats it.

Jammygal Tue 12-Jul-11 18:43:09

offer

this offer but it is for the 3 skincare essentials (sorry I forgot you just wanted moisturiser!) and maybe too much for your pocket! I love it and think it will sort your skin out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now