Talk

Advanced search

Suit dress

(14 Posts)
Thistledew Tue 12-Jul-11 11:46:09

I am looking for a suit dress and saw a woman on the train wearing a perfect one this morning, but she saw the fanatical glint in my eye and scarpered from the mad woman homing in on her went down the escalator before I could ask her where she got it from.

I am looking for a black or dark grey dress, ideally with a matching jacket, that I can wear as a formal suit during the day, but that has a bit of detailing (belt, nice neckline etc) so that I can dress it up with some heels and jewelry if I have a function to go to in the evening.

The one I saw the woman wearing this morning had a belt, and a slightly cowl neck.

If it comes with a jacket, I would be happy to pay a couple of hundred pounds. Ideally less than £100 if no matching jacket.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thistledew Thu 14-Jul-11 22:41:02

I just spent 2 hrs in Covent Garden this evening and failed to come up with what I want.

Any suggestions?

Thistledew Thu 14-Jul-11 22:41:10

sad

TIDDLYMUM Thu 14-Jul-11 22:46:14

Hi check out LK Bennett Lantis or Laura dress. Or Ellen? Sale on so they would be round or abouts. Some people on here don't like LK Bennett but I must say I love it. I buy nearly all my clothes in there, mostly in the sale. Worth checkig out e bay too. Also worth a look in Hobbs x

Thistledew Thu 14-Jul-11 23:10:31

I tried LK Bennett and they did have a plain black suit dress, but no jacket in my size. It was a bit boring though as it was completely plain and had no detailing.

Hobbs has a dress and jacket that would be completely perfect apart from the fact it is only available in light grey. Unfortunately their dress in black comes with a 3 button jacket. I have large norks so can only go for a one or possibly 2 button jacket.

Ted Baker had a combo that was nearly right apart from the fact the dress was rather short and the jacket, rather bizzarely, fitted me perfectly until I bent my arms, whereupon it nearly cut off the circulation to my hands the sleeves were so tight.

choux Thu 14-Jul-11 23:16:28

I have found nice work dresses in M&S and Dorothy Perkins for around £50.

TIDDLYMUM Thu 14-Jul-11 23:30:39

Lantis has a nice ruch at front I tried it and was lovely plus in sale. But I have about 10 black dresses. Try other branches? Ted Baker are riduclous sizes - not that fussed at all.

GregoryPeck Thu 14-Jul-11 23:52:48

This one is really nice on smile

GregoryPeck Thu 14-Jul-11 23:53:18

sorry, here

here

Thistledew Fri 15-Jul-11 07:25:48

Thanks Gregory

I did look at that one but it is too light a grey. I can only get away with black or charcoal at work.

louiespence Fri 15-Jul-11 08:48:05

I have this one www.jigsaw-online.com/fashion/1001254/J04132/womens/dresses/fine-wool-tuck-front-dress - it looks a bit plain on the web page to be honest, and is a bit pricey (loads more than I would have wanted to pay) but looks gorgeous on! There is a matching jacket too.

Thistledew Fri 15-Jul-11 08:57:20

That is a contender. Shame they did not have it in the shop yesterday.

I don't like buying clothes on line because I do have problems finding things to fit, especially tailored dresses. It is so frustrating seeing stuff on line but then having to traipse to four shops to try it on. I know you can send stuff back that you have bought on line if it doesn't fit, but I don't really have the cash flow to order 6 dresses to try if they are all at the £150 mark!

louiespence Fri 15-Jul-11 09:03:35

No, I'm not a fan of buying clothes online or from catalogues either as I just end up sending them back. They stock this one in John Lewis if you have one near you that you could pop into to try on?

tethersend Fri 15-Jul-11 11:09:31

Westwood

Austin reed

Austin reed

Jaeger

Warehouse

Miss Selfridge

Awear

MaxMara

Viyella

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now