Talk

Advanced search

Please advise me on my hair

(10 Posts)
Pigwigeon Mon 11-Jul-11 15:43:50

After a not particularly cheering 'guess my age' thread I feel it might be worth doing something about my hair.

You can see it (on one of its better days) on my profile pic.

Basically it's very thick, a bit wavy and quite frizzy. It looks nice straightened but take me ages.

I want it to stay very low maintenance (at the moment I literally just wash it every 3 days and leave it) but not look so scruffy, frumpy, and (according to the other thread) aging!

Any suggestions welcome smile

Pigwigeon Mon 11-Jul-11 18:47:34

bump

Mine is not dissimilar, I spent a long time trying to get it right and have been really happy with it for the last few months. It is now a bit longer than yours and I think that might help you with the shape. I use Aussie Frizz Miracle shampoo and conditioner, which are brilliant for defrizzing and giving a bit of definition. I just wash and condition it, comb with a wide tooth comb and leave to dry naturally. Could I suggest changing to a more side parting, ditch the straighteners, resist the temptation to use a brush on it at all and grow it a bit longer, but keep layers (my shortest layer which includes grown out fringe is about to the end of my ears, the longest is 2-3" below shoulders).

TheFarSide Mon 11-Jul-11 19:45:12

It's a bit like mine. I find a chin length blunt bob very easy to look after - not too much hair to blow dry straight, or allow to dry naturally for a wavy look that is still neat. When I have had layers in the past, the short ones stick out and look untidy. You're not frumpy, BTW!

Pigwigeon Mon 11-Jul-11 19:46:11

Thank you WhoKnows, is the Aussie stuff expensive? Can you get it from Boots/Superdrug?
I only brush my hair just before washing, otherwise the frizz is terrible. I have had a side parting in the past but never been very happy with it and my hair really resists anything but a centre parting

Pigwigeon Mon 11-Jul-11 19:48:49

Thanks TFS smile I think my hair might look a bit triangular without layers, although I do find the short ones can look untidy. Hmm.

The Aussie stuff is about £4 a bottle from Boots/supermarkets, you can normally get on 3 for 2 somewhere. If mine is looking frizzy in between washes I sometimes use a quick squirt of Boots Botanics leave in conditioner or Boots Curl Creme. I avoid all products containing silicones, you might have seen reference to this in threads about the Curly Girl method. I never though I suited a side parting, my hairdressers suggested I try the other side which I had never done and it was much better!

said Mon 11-Jul-11 20:01:22

Before I saw your age on the other thread, I thought 25. Some people are just rubbish at guessing ages.

I know lots of people avoid silicone stuff on here but it just doesn't work for me (and I have similar sounding hair to yours). The very best conditioner I have tried recently came with Superdrug's own semi-permanent hair dye. And the tube you get is big so could easily cover 3 washes? It's worth buying and ditching the dye if you don't use it.

said Mon 11-Jul-11 20:08:23

Meant to say, you look like Kelly McDonald

Pigwigeon Mon 11-Jul-11 20:48:10

Have been reading up about the curly girl method and think i might give it a go when I can get my head around it
Thanks said smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now