Talk

Advanced search

Please suggest your favourite foundations.

(15 Posts)
AmeliaGrey Mon 11-Jul-11 14:14:38

This is what I need- due to my current one being discontinued in "my" colour.

1 Good coverage- my skin is quite good ( no wrinkles) but am used to full coverage, without using powder.
2 Pale shades- at the near end of the pale spectrum.
3 Matte to slightly dewy finish- but not too shiny.
4 My skin is older but not really dry. I'd say normal to slightly dry.

So far, I have tested Bobbi Brown- not enough coverage though did not try the oil free one.
Estee Lauder Regenerist and Futurist- pale is too pale, next shade up too yellow.
Clinique- current and no pale shades left.
Laura Mercier- tried the creamy one in a jar and again, pale was too pale, next shade up too dark.

Chanel always used to be too dark and also highly perfumed- I get the odd patch of eczema.

If anyone can suggest any brands please do!

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 11-Jul-11 14:21:05

I am also very very pale and have had a nightmare in finding foundations - a lor of the French brands are made for sallow skin, and as well as being a smidgen too dark they are also too yellow (instead of having a pinky undertone).

The best mid price brand I have found is Lancome - either photogenic luminesnece (which is slightly shimmery) or Teint Miracle (mattish but light). Both are very pale and offer good coverage without looking like something hideously Estee Lauder esque.

If you want to spend a bit more I hugely recommend By Terry. The texture and colour matching is amazing, far better than anything else, including the Lancome, howevre it is very pricey.

ComradeJing Mon 11-Jul-11 14:24:38

Are you in London? I really recommend Cosmetics a la carte bespoke foundation. They mix it up on the spot and then you can order your special blend online. They also mix the textures so you can get a dewy to matte foundation with good coverage.

Honestly, best foundation ever.

I'm also one of those funny skin tones that doesn't seem to match foundations either.

sedgiebaby Mon 11-Jul-11 14:25:17

I am completely astonished by (a rec on this board) stilla tinted moisturizer spf 50 (oil free) I normally need better coverage but it is excellent it gives coverage and yet seems invisible and 5.99 at cheapsmells. Also I will flick a bit of bare minerals (matte) over this.

sedgiebaby Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:22

I'm a MAC NC15 (pale yellow undertone) and use 03 so there are two paler shades again.

dottyaboutstripes Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:58

I use this Dior one Love it!

AmeliaGrey Mon 11-Jul-11 14:44:05

Thanks all- I didn't know Cosmetic a la carte was still going. yes i can get to London.

Years ago I used to use Lancome Maqui Satin and it was wonderful- just squeeze the tube out it came and great match.

I was colour coded by Estee Lauder at weekend- they put me as a 1C- the palest band and shade which is actually a pinky tone. However, using the sample it looks ghostly and unnatural. The next shade up 1 Neutral- looks like I am jaundiced.

Happy to try all suggestions.
Have tried By Terry on my hand and may go back to Space NK and try again.

archanat10 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:44:25

i use colorbar!

shelldockley Mon 11-Jul-11 16:41:27

I use Lily Lolo mineral foundation, they have colours in 5 different palettes: pale, light, light-medium, medium and tan, and they have either yellow undertones, pink, or neutral, I'm very pale and normally find foundations either too yellow, or too pink, so I'm in the neutral camp. The main reason I tried it in the first place was because of the neutral idea even though I'd never been tempted to try mineral foundation before. Plus you can buy samples for £1.29. Everyone I've recommended it to has been converted! (I realise I sound like I'm on commission!)

valiumredhead Mon 11-Jul-11 16:47:11

Bare Minerals is great - would never go back to wearing a liquid/cream foundation now.

shelldockley Mon 11-Jul-11 17:04:16

I actually find Bare Minerals even nicer than Lily Lolo, but it doesn't come pale enough for me unfortunately. Same as you, I wouldn't go back now.

DonaAna Mon 11-Jul-11 18:06:21

I'm very pale with a neutral skin tone. I just ebayed my Dior foundations (they gave me eczema) and have reverted back to tried and true Revlon Colorstay Normal/Dry (shade Ivory in winter, Nude in summer). Good full coverage, bombproof (lasts 12+ hours, also in humid and hot climates), matte, no perfume and non-irritating (but moisturize well at night - Eucerin is really good). Slightly pinkish shade but works on my skin. I find Estee Lauder foundations too masklike for me BTW, but Colorstay is just right.

mepsopie Mon 11-Jul-11 18:32:20

I've said this on a previous thread - love the diorskin nude liquid.

It is mineral based so makes my skin feel lovely. I don't like the feeling of make up but this is not too heavy and it gives great coverage.

Al0uiseG Mon 11-Jul-11 18:35:01

Chanel Vitalumiere. It's like you've been airbrushed.

mugglelady Mon 11-Jul-11 20:41:36

Clarins skin illusion (the latest one). Really good for making baby sleep deprived face look half human!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now