Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can anyone "Gok" me?

(16 Posts)
SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 11:37:20

I Need a bit of a style makeover. Living in t-shirts and jeans ATM. (t-shirts nice and east for breastfeeding.

I am getting very close to 40 and would like to look a bit more sophisticated. That sounds bad doesn't it?

I'm a large-ish 14, very large saggy boobs, small shoulders and back. Huge hips and large bum, but long legs which are stick thin below the knees. Oh and thin arms.

Help anyone? (needs to be cheap too)

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 11-Jul-11 12:15:31

Well you need a good bra, for starters. M&S fitters are crap but the bras can be good so try on a few sizes, otherwise Bravissimo are the queens of bras for the big-boobed. Take with you a thin/smooth/tightish top which you then try on OVER each bra, to check there's no four-boob effect.

I am no style guru (sorry) but if you have great legs (long and slim) then dresses probably look ace on you. Don't try to conceal the fact that you have breasts, because they will balance out your hips and it sounds like you are actually quite hourglassy.

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 12:25:57

Aw come on, I know there are loads of style gurus on here!

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 12:28:06

Oo I missed your post. I'm a bit scared of dresses but would have a go if it was plain/classic enough. Probably need A line and V neck for big hips and boobs?

Gillybobs Mon 11-Jul-11 12:30:06

Totally agree, start with a couple of decent bras as any new clothes wont look great if you have poor underwear on.

My honest opinion is to get a couple of smart pairs of jeans in whichever cur suits you, I always think a dark wash looks best. Maybe get a pair which are the right length for flat shoes and a pair you can wear with a small heel to look smarter. Skinny or straight leg jeans are most "now" but if your legs are top heavy a wider bottom style of jean may suit best to balance you. Wear them with wedges for comfort and the extra bit of height will make a huge difference. Ive just bought these and although they are fairly high I would walk for miles in them they are so soft.

Ive recently discovered blazers, I like the jersey ones, they make you feel so put together, even if you are wearing just a little t shirt underneath. here are a few nice ones. I used to wear cardis all the time but cant go back now Ive bought a couple of blazers.

As mentioned I think the jeans and blazer look great for daytime with a T underneath and maybe you could get a couple of smarter blouse type tops to dress it up a little? Ive bought a few from Monsoon this week, their stuff is good quality and the sale makes it very affordable. I got this and a few other things

Also why not treat yourself to a nice dress, something versatile you could wear with a cardi and flat sandals and then dress up with heels for a night out, again Monsoon had loads in their sale this

Finally Id say get a good bag, medium sized leather in a nice colour, a couple of nice scarves and one or two bits of jewellery so that no matter what you wear you have these nice bits and bobs to brighten you up.

Hope that helps a bit

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 13:05:57

Oooh.. I'd never have thought of jersey blazers! And that top and dress are stunning. I do like those sandals but need my ugly toes covered, so I wear Birkenstocks as a compromise. Thanks for this!

Gillybobs Mon 11-Jul-11 13:19:29

I love my Birkies too but they are no good for a looking smart/sophisticated, need to find something that covers your toes but has maybe a small wedge or kitten heel? what about something like espadrille this for summer?

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 13:37:00

Those are nice. Are those types of shoe comfy? (god I sound old!) And do they go with jeans and skirts?

Gillybobs Mon 11-Jul-11 17:21:05

Yes and yes!

pink4ever Mon 11-Jul-11 18:51:35

I just bought that Monsoon dress! had my eye on it for ages and was delighted it was in sale. It is lovely on and I know I will be wearing it for years.

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 20:07:41

I'm back. Just wondered if anyone had more suggestions?

smearedinfood Mon 11-Jul-11 20:19:10

Think of 3 words that you would like your wardrobe to be and then when you shop think of those three. I've chosen smart, quirky and relaxed if that helps

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 20:29:26

I like that idea. I keep thinking of contradictory words though!

TaudrieTattoo Mon 11-Jul-11 20:35:06

Zara have some great jersey blazers atm, in lots of colours. I got a navy one, it looks great with a breton top, skinnies and ballet flats or converse.

I just had to change the button, it was gold and I looked like Leslie Crowther.

Contradictory words good - what are they?

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 21:12:25

Hippy and modern. Sounding old again.

smearedinfood Mon 11-Jul-11 22:16:36

Don't worry it took me a couple of weeks to think of me three grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: