spot cleaning silk top ..any tips

(9 Posts)
ggirl Sun 10-Jul-11 21:16:13

this top
has teeny spots
no idea what it is
what shall I use?

Iloveshoes001 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:38:11

Before you try anything, ask a dry cleaner. Once you try, if it doesn't work it'll seal the stain in and then dry cleaning won't work. Normally silk will hand wash with a mild detergent but it's a risk... Good luck.

ggirl Sun 10-Jul-11 21:43:39

won't they automatically tell me it needs drycleaning?

HellonHeels Sun 10-Jul-11 23:42:08

The care instructions say 'dry clean' and while often you can get away with hand washing I think I would dry clean it if it were mine.

ggirl Mon 11-Jul-11 00:00:36

yeh you're right
dammit grin

said Mon 11-Jul-11 00:05:40

I shove my silk top in the washing machine at 40 - no harm done

bishboschone Mon 11-Jul-11 10:11:07

I am a dry cleaner, I would not automatically tell you to dry clean it. What are the stains? If they are grease based you will need to have it dry cleaned to get them out . If they are water based dry cleaning won't get them out. You can wash silk on a delicate setting with liquid detergent especially for silks. Be very careful when you iron though. If you have a local dry cleaners , take it in and ask advice, you don't have to leave it but they should give you impartial advice. I would never take money from someone if I know the mark won't come out in d/c. The problem I have normally is people freak when I mention washing but sadly( for me) dry cleaning doesn't get alot of stains out. DO NOT SPOT, you will end up with more water marks. You need to totally submerge the garment.

ggirl Mon 11-Jul-11 11:01:20

thanks bishboschone
great advice

bishboschone Mon 11-Jul-11 11:40:05

no worries, let me know if you need any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now