Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am thinking maxi dress for holidays, everyone looks lovely in them, but where to go? Help!

(23 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePea Sun 10-Jul-11 16:33:06

And also have I missed the boat with them? I mean are they reaching the end of their time?

I looked at some Monsoon ones, they had loads but I dunno really.......I think I haven't got any confidence ! <pathetic>

Where else can I go? I think as much as online is a bargain, I will need to be trying these things on...

Can anyone help me?! I would be v grateful!

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 10-Jul-11 16:42:29

Anywhere really smile You still can't move for maxi dresses in High Street shops. Wallis, Dorothy Perkins, Next, Debenhams, Monsoon, Oasis etc all good places to start

TaudrieTattoo Sun 10-Jul-11 17:15:33

White Company for best and New Look for beach.

The jersey types are the best, imo.

RatherBeOnThePea Sun 10-Jul-11 17:23:07

Thank you both.... I think I would imagine the jersey style is better, more slinky malinky, I also like the ones that are heel length, although I may well trip up blush I really want to crack this tho!

Everyone looks elegant in them, that I've seen, but when I try, it dosn't look how I think it should iyswim..?

I'm going to look at White Company ( wouldn't have thought of them) and new look for ideas online.

TaudrieTattoo Sun 10-Jul-11 17:25:03

I know what you mean, so many of them look a bit crap. The two I've got were the only ones that didn't make me look 6 months gone.

I've got a couple of Boden ones from years ago that are okayish too.

Deffo The White Company - but the jersey is too thick if you're going somewhere v warm.

noddyholder Sun 10-Jul-11 17:29:01

I don't think everyone does look lovely in them I don't! You need to be tall and skinny

RatherBeOnThePea Sun 10-Jul-11 17:51:49

Noddy - I suspect for me it's a touch of the green eyed monster, but I nearly always think people look nice in them! Then I'm just not sure on me sad

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 10-Jul-11 18:12:41

They can be a bit hit and miss. This one from Next is Jersey and very flattering but its reasonably light jersey so not too hot.

goinnowhere Sun 10-Jul-11 18:43:37

Agree about jersey or a stretchy fabric, and not too wafty. I finally got one because I was hot and it felt comfortable. I am hourglass and average height, and everyone says it is flattering. So steer clear of too much fabric i think.

pink4ever Sun 10-Jul-11 18:57:56

I got 2 from Monsoon in the sale-the black jersey caprice maxi and the island maxi. Both nice but very long!(I am 5'6). Also got a couple of nice ones from Peacocks which I think are in the sale now so you probably could get them for a tenner. I dont get the maxi haters on s&b as I think maxis look good on loads of different body shapes(am a 14).

RatherBeOnThePea Sun 10-Jul-11 20:07:47

I want a bit of wafty though, more day than evening iyswim, and it will be hot and fairly humid on my hols.

I can see what you mean about too much fabric, I don't want to look like a marquee... blush

I'm worried that I will get one and that will be the kiss of death for them!

sparkle1977 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:22:17

I have got one from Peacocks and one from Tesco. Both are lovely but I really love the Peacocks one. It was only £22 full price so good for me as at the time i was not 100% sure about them either.

I agree that they can look good on most sizes. I am 5 ft 5 and a size 14. You just need to choose the right shape and material.

otchayaniye Sun 10-Jul-11 20:53:53

"everyone looks lovely in them"

I disagree and think 95 percent of women don't look good in them. I think they can work well if they are really spartan and worn with bare, but quite 'out there' accessories and flat, very plain sandals.

I can't get the image of women rolling about on casters out of my head when I see them.

RatherBeOnThePea Sun 10-Jul-11 20:59:11

otchayaniye - suspect for me it's a touch of the green eyed monster, so that I notice when people look fab in them....

Your image of women rolling around is how I feel when I've tried them on!!

otchayaniye Sun 10-Jul-11 21:02:46

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sizeist or a 'thingsmustbedonethiswayandnootherway-ist' but it's a tricky length and style. I really like plain grey marl ones worn in a casual summer way. Not body hugging particularly. Kind of sporty rather than flowery/kaftany.

Ironically I love kaftans, but actual proper kaftans.

Good luck.

RatherBeOnThePea Sun 10-Jul-11 21:04:38

Bless you otchayaniye - I think I'm going to need luck grin

RatherBeOnThePea Mon 11-Jul-11 15:16:36

Had a brief look today but I have zero confidence in what, if anything would look good. Never mind!

sweetheart Mon 11-Jul-11 17:00:42

I have recently brought this one
and
this one and I love them both, they are very flattering.

trumpton Tue 12-Jul-11 05:42:07

I have just bought THIS ONE and I love it. I shortened it a bit and wear it with flat sandles.

Not the cheapest but I reckon price per wearing it will be worth it.

RatherBeOnThePea Tue 12-Jul-11 07:21:27

Thank you

I hope trumpton you got it in the sale?!

trumpton Tue 12-Jul-11 07:24:42

oh yes ! I did indeed! grin

RatherBeOnThePea Tue 12-Jul-11 07:28:31

It's even more lovely then grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now