Talk

Advanced search

mac cosmetics on ebay

(14 Posts)
potterschmotter Sun 10-Jul-11 09:37:03

anyone used to buy? how come they can sell so cheaply

valiumredhead Sun 10-Jul-11 10:25:59

Yes, I have bought a brush set and eyeshadows in the past. The can sell them cheaply the same as with everything else on ebay, because they aren't paying shop overheads.

starjules Sun 10-Jul-11 21:12:35

Yep I did and they were both fakes. Never again.

peasandlove Mon 11-Jul-11 02:58:59

bought in asia, fake fake fake

Havingkittens Mon 11-Jul-11 10:05:39

Yep, you have to watch out on ebay, there are lots of fakes. Best to check feedback at least first.

There are reasons for people to be selling cheap MAC stuff though so still worth looking. If they say it has been used once or twice then the chances are it's not fake. Don't worry about hygiene. You can sterilise products by wiping or dipping (in the case of lipstick) them in Isopropyl Alcohol. Most lipglosses and the like have been transferred onto the back of the hand and used with a clean lip brush so no hygiene issues there either. Often you will get make up artists clearing out their kits and selling off stuff they've not ended up using much. Those that work for the cosmetic brands get given products to wear on counter when collections come out and sometimes end up selling stuff they don't like so much. Also, Make up Artists, Beauty Editors, Beauty bloggers etc get sent products by cosmetics brands and often end up with more than they need. A lot of that goes on Ebay too.

PinotLovesRonWeasley Mon 11-Jul-11 10:37:31

I think alot of the Benefit ebay stuff is fake too, dammit.

Havingkittens Mon 11-Jul-11 10:40:04

A lot of stuff on ebay is fake, whatever the brand. I ended up with a pair of fake Levi's about a year or so ago.

kerstina Mon 11-Jul-11 10:46:50

Yes I think I have been sold fake Ruby and Millie and Clinique make up so not going to bother ordering make up again on ebay.

Glamomma Mon 11-Jul-11 10:51:34

Yes you have to be so careful on Ebay, even people with really high feedback are selling fakes, I bought a Dior mascara and luckily i had an original to compare, it was so fake, and when i complained the person refunded back my money straight away, so i think its best to pay a bit more and have piece of mind.

snailsontour Mon 11-Jul-11 11:42:54

Ebay can be a real mine field as there are so many fakes on there, and sadly there are lots of sellers with nearly 100% feedback despite selling fakes. It can be difficult to know as if you haven't an original product to compare to then it's difficult to spot a good fake.

As an example, I'm currently looking at some Bobbi Brown brush sets, and there are sellers with say 99% feedback and glowing reports from satisfied customers, but when you dig down you see the odd "fake, don't buy, seller refunded money" etc. comment.

Even sticking to the buying the used once/twice but didn't suit me rule can let you down as it may very well be a fake that has been bought on ebay in good faith, and then resold on ebay! Yep, a veritable minefild!

As a general rule if something looks to be too good to be true, then it probably is!

peasandlove Tue 12-Jul-11 03:58:06

I bought fake perfume off there once. It didnt smell anything like it should have and it was cheap cheap, so I knew it was a risk. The seller swore black and blue it was genuine, but refunded me straight away. His feedback was mostly positive, so I guessed those buyers didnt know any different. I mentioned in my feedback I doubted it was genuine and had got the refund. I wouldnt buy anything off there as a genuine product as you only need to go to the asian countries and see how much stuff is sold there and obviously bought back and sold on Ebay, all the big names, Tiffany, G-star, mac, benefit, perfumes etc etc.

Stuffedcat Tue 12-Jul-11 11:01:19

I think I have just purchased a fake Benefit product - it hasn't shipped yet so I have mailed the seller this morning to ask for a refund.

I didn't check the feedback before I paid, most of which was good but there were a pile of negatives stating fake product etc [Gullible twat]

They were selling only Benefit stuff, really cheap and lots of it. I think I assumed only 'high end' cosmetics would have counterfeit copies. I told my Mum off last year for fallling for some fake Chanel!

I await for my refund....

BupcakesandCunting Tue 12-Jul-11 11:05:45

I bought a fake Benefit eyeliner from eBay. I subsequently found out the eBay is rife with fakes. Bloody idiots.

mippy Tue 12-Jul-11 16:17:17

I was looking at Demeter perfume on eBay and there are even fakes/bootlegs of that on there.

Benefit is considered high-end, is it not? It sells for a premium price compared with the usual stuff in Boots.

A friend of mine is a beauty blogger and wrote a guide to spotting MAC fakes a while ago - basically, if it comes with a sponge applicator it's a fake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now