Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why do people wear leggings with dresses?

(111 Posts)
larahusky Sat 09-Jul-11 23:35:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnapesOnAPlane Sat 09-Jul-11 23:39:44

Because sometimes the dress isn't long enough to cover one's arse and it's too warm for tights smile

DialsMavis Sat 09-Jul-11 23:44:11

Because I have really fat disgusting legs and i kid myself that leggings camouflage this.

Jas Sat 09-Jul-11 23:44:52

Because I want to wear sandals, but have terrible skin on my legs and prefer to keep it covered.

elphabadefiesgravity Sat 09-Jul-11 23:46:41

Becasue if I don't wear leggings with some of my dresses you can see my knickers

LemonDifficult Sat 09-Jul-11 23:49:20

I agree OP, I can't get to the bottom of this: it makes legs look so much shorter.

skyebluepink Sun 10-Jul-11 08:05:50

I am wearing calf length leggings with a dress - it just works somehow on this particular look because my legs are white hairy and wobbly the dress is quite sheer and flimsy and i would feel a bit exposed without them.

PedigreeChump Sun 10-Jul-11 11:45:49

All of the reasons above, and also that leggings are more versatile than tights. And you can wear black leggings with a dress you can't wear black tights with.

Mostly the arse-covering in public though.

DoraJarr Sun 10-Jul-11 11:47:12

cos they have fat ugly legs? and like to pair them with a nice polyester dress

skyebluepink Sun 10-Jul-11 11:53:39

yes Dora I always make sure my dress is acrylic before I pair it with leggings

Because tights and toe posts do not a good look make.

noddyholder Sun 10-Jul-11 14:19:08

I don't wear leggings but do footless tights.

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 14:21:33

Dora Takes one to know one love!

Lotkinsgonecurly Sun 10-Jul-11 14:22:15

I know a lovely lady that wears black tights and sandals. Really wish someone would mention to her about leggings, it would be a brilliant look on her. Also, leggings make a dress more casual.

WhollyGhost Sun 10-Jul-11 14:30:04

leggings are warm, comfortable, easy

And they wash much better than tights

DoraJarr Sun 10-Jul-11 14:36:30

i dont have fat disgusting legs. So how can I know that then?

Noddy and I are the legs eleven of the south coast

Because when you bend over to pick up bags etc, speak to children in the school playground, or lean into the car to help do up children's seatbelts you don't want the whole world seeing the back of your thighs/bum.

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 14:41:36

Dora's Legs

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 14:43:25

Dammit. Here they are! In all their glory!

noddyholder Sun 10-Jul-11 14:48:00

Yes I of course do not NEED to cover them but choose to wink I think most legs look better hairless bare and slightly tanned if you can be bothered Leggings would be a last resort they are trousers really

smartyparts Sun 10-Jul-11 15:08:00

I think leggings draw attention to fat legs

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 15:13:51

Well you could say that about ALL clothing smarty

Long skirts look like you're hiding something
short ones show them off too much
tight jeans make them like tree trunks
baggy ones make them look bigger

leggings are the least evil...along with black opaque tights...if ones legs are not skinny then the best option is the thinnest darkest fabric....which does not add any volume in bagginess....hence leggings or black tights.

aquos Sun 10-Jul-11 15:16:25

I don't wear dresses or skirts. I'm overweight and in warm weather your inner thighs rub together and end up sore. A dress with leggings and sandals would be a great option for me now I come to think about it.

Ps I am doing something about the weight - 1 stone down, 3 to go. hmm

fluffles Sun 10-Jul-11 15:17:55

modesty. and because i'm not 21 anymore.
and because some dresses look daft with opaque tights in summer.

i LOVE leggings (or footless tights) and wear them just below the knee with dresses that come above my knee that i'd never wear without leggings.

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Jul-11 15:21:54

All the reasons given above, and because I have huge feet and always go through the toes of tights if the have a shaped foot. In winter I wear leggings or footless tights and (men's) socks in boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now