Talk

Advanced search

Swimsuit or Tankini??

(17 Posts)
Iatemyskinnyperson Sat 09-Jul-11 22:26:45

My tankini needs replacing, was thinking of getting a one-piece instead as I am sick of the top riding up..

I do have a vague recollection of having a specific reason for getting a tankini rather than a one-piece the last time - maybe because it was a pain in the ass getting changed while chasing the DS's round the changing room??

Do you have a preference one way or the other?

I must also admit that my tankini was bought 7 years and 2 kids ago, so perhaps if I got one that actually fit me blush the riding up issue would be resolved. 

I am 5'4'' sz12/14 with big boobs. I am thinking of this one A bit spendy but looks flattering and like it will last.

Any thoughts?

exoticfruits Sat 09-Jul-11 22:30:12

I like a tankini because if you wear it under your clothes you can go to the loo without totally undressing.

Bluebell99 Sat 09-Jul-11 22:31:24

That looks nice, but I found a tankini was really useful on holiday in italy last year - easier to get changed on a beach, I think.

MissBeehiving Sun 10-Jul-11 08:35:16

Swimsuit definately. Tankinis are really unflattering. Some gorgeous swimsuits about at the moment.

Iatemyskinnyperson Sun 10-Jul-11 12:06:13

Thanks for the replies. I think I have an old one-piece somewhere, will root it out for a test drive before I commit

snailsontour Sun 10-Jul-11 13:02:27

Think you can get a better fit with a tankini as they are so customable (not sure if that's a real word)- you can have different syle and colour bottoms so you can get a better fit and ring the changes easily.

The key is down to getting one that fits properly in all the right places - and I suspect in 7 years your body is a little different.

StyleandBooty Sun 10-Jul-11 13:11:35

Second tankini for easy changing and wee-ing.

cece Sun 10-Jul-11 13:14:21

My tankini rides up too but as I have large cup size I find the hidden bra inside it very comfortable. Can't get so comfy in a swimsuit.

However, I have just bought a one peice due to flashing problems whilst body boarding in Cornwall at half term. My belly is not a pretty sight! blush

ChuckYouFarlie Sun 10-Jul-11 17:24:36

I am in love with my Tobago tankini from figleaves, in blue. I do think an underwired one piece is the work of the devil, trying to get in and out of the damn thing is impossible and so inelegant that it makes me cross and destroys my sun-kissed goddess on holiday feeling instantly every time I have to pee. Tankini is definitely the way to go.

This one is long in the body so it looks like a one-piece and doesn't ride up. And the norkage support is staggeringly good (am 32F)

mathanxiety Sun 10-Jul-11 19:08:02

For me the trouble with a one piece is that they flatten me down too much unless I wear one with a push up construction or underwire bra section. I end up with the boobs around my belly button look. I had one like this once though and it was lovely.

With a tankini, the top isn't constantly being dragged down by the bottom. Plus it's easy to go to the loo.

moragbellingham Sun 10-Jul-11 20:31:33

I would say one piece if I had to choose.
I have a lovely tankini but have been swimming in it quite a few times and found it not only rides up, but balloons out too.

sparkle1977 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:35:32

I had a tankini a while back and found it always used to ride up etc etc so got rid of it for that reason.

i now have a very flattering one piece that I am chuffed to bits with, and never have to worry when playing with the kids in the pool that my wobbly belly will be on display at any moment!

CharlieCoCo Sun 10-Jul-11 22:02:28

normally i would say tankini, but im currently saving for a marilyn monroe type swimsuit so i suggest u do too grin

CharlieCoCo Sun 10-Jul-11 22:02:59

normally i would say tankini, but im currently saving for a marilyn monroe type swimsuit so i suggest u do too grin

Iatemyskinnyperson Mon 11-Jul-11 19:46:11

Thank you all! I think most sensible option is tankini, as I am all function over form at the moment. Will trudge into town for the torture that is swimwear shopping sad

janmoomoo Mon 11-Jul-11 21:32:09

I cant believe you had the same tankini for seven years, mine seem to perish after just a few months (six wears of the last one from M&S before it started to perish).

Iatemyskinnyperson Tue 12-Jul-11 16:20:17

I didn't swim that much till we brought the DS's for lessons. I need to get in the water with DS2 as he has ASD... Anyway, I'm quite enjoying it now.

Funny actually how your body image changes... pre-kids I would have DIED rather than appear in public in a swimsuit, now I could not care one jot. I have a grudging respect for my body, flabby tum, bingo wings and all!

Anyway, I happened across this one on ebay, and have ordered it. I quite like the colour and its my size, so hey ho. Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now