Talk

Advanced search

Swimsuits to flatter hideous tummy ...

(17 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Thu 07-Jul-11 22:35:24

Can anyone recommend any please ? I've bought two from M&S today. One is definitely going back - it does nothing for me. The other I may keep if I can't find anything better but I could do with a couple more for holidays.

I'm a 16 top, 12 bottom but have a big, wrinkly tum that needs covering and disguising. Boobs need as much support as possible (38DD and heading south). I'm not painting a very good picture am I ?! sad

<<remembers the days not so long ago when I only ever wore itsy bitsy bikinis on the beach sad>>

meditrina Thu 07-Jul-11 22:40:36

After 3rd DC, I have an irreversibly saggy tummy. Try Lands End - the slender suits (2nd row) have control panels which hold in the wobbly bits well, and they usually have enough bottom coverage too.

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 08-Jul-11 10:43:01

Thank you smile Will try one of those.

Any other suggestions please ?

formerdiva Fri 08-Jul-11 16:16:19

Completely get your dilemma. I have slim legs (oh thank you lord for small mercies) but a hideous mummy tummy that can be hidden away in normal clothes, but just looks horrid in a swimming costume. M&S "tummy control" costumes do nothing for me - they just seem to spread the wobbly stuff out rather than hold it in. Ditto Miraclesuits and other expensive versions.

The designs that work best for me are the ones that are have slimming prints (e.g. clever stripes) or are ruched (hide a world of sins). Sainsbury's do a great ruched costume for less than a tenner that I'm actually not ashamed to be seen in, and Boots tummy control costumes are cleverly made to flatter rather than to suck you in IYSWIM.

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 08-Jul-11 17:48:31

That's interesting, thanks formerdiva. I did notice some in Sainsburys the other day and wondered whether they'd be any good. I don't mind trying (and paying) £50+ for one swimsuit (providing its good) but I can't really afford it for 2 or 3 of them. Will look at Boots as well. Cheers smile

gettingolderbytheday Fri 08-Jul-11 18:13:17

You would think that someone somewhere would do a tummy control swimsuit that has bra-sized cups too but I can't find one.

wileycoyote Fri 08-Jul-11 22:32:33

What about a tankini with decent cups? I am a big fan of freya. I had my tummy fixed so don't feel self concious anymore as mine was really bad, but when I did I had a great tankini in pewter and white that made me feel pretty damn good.

PopBiscuits Sat 09-Jul-11 13:41:13

You had your tummy fixed, you say wiley?

Pray - tell us more.

I am thinking of going down this route.

I am not at all fat. About an average size 10. But my tummy after having kids is not only unsightly, it's also physically very uncomfortable.

Like having a sack of potatoes strapped on to me.

Am fed up of it, and really can't see me living like this for the rest of my life. I am only 30.

LadyDamerel Sat 09-Jul-11 13:55:44

I think Bravissimo do a cup sized control swimsuit, hang on.

LadyDamerel Sat 09-Jul-11 13:57:59

Here

hellymelly Sat 09-Jul-11 13:59:52

I need one too,except I also need one that covers hideous thighs and dinner-lady upper arms......

RightUpMyRue Sat 09-Jul-11 14:02:34

I bought this which is very flattering. Worth the £40.

gettingolderbytheday Sat 09-Jul-11 14:09:04

I've tried this one at Bravissimo. The cups don't offer much support and the halter neck pulls on the neck after a short while. Some of the reviews say the same sort of thing. If you are big busted I think you need 2 straps and a normal bust fit.
The tankinis don't do much for my tummy - although the cups fit well. I have a Freya one which unfortunately does not meet my bikini bottoms so the skin between the two is even more noticeable...making me look even fatter than normal. I think we're actually better with a bikini and letting it all out!!

wileycoyote Sat 09-Jul-11 22:57:17

pop biscuits
I had a tummy tuck last year. I was the same as you - size 8-10, but I had to wear size 12 trousers because of my stretched and crinkly tummy after having two kids - and it was right up above my belly button in a 'panel' like a sack of spuds.
It made me feel miserable and past it. I hated it. Now, I'm sure some people wouldn't (and shouldn't) care, but I did. I deliberated for quite some time and tried acceptance - but it was really affecting the way I felt about myself so I had it done. There appeared to be no less drastic options..

piprabbit Sat 09-Jul-11 23:03:10

I love Lands End swimsuits too.

lucykate Sat 09-Jul-11 23:13:11

i went to the lands end outlet shop the other week and tried on some swimsuits. didn't find one in the right size but they are very well made with extra internal panels to control all that needs controlling.

Mamateur Sun 10-Jul-11 08:23:09

I bought a Spanx one to pull my tummy in and up, it is brill and also does wonders for my boobs. DP rarely comments on anything I wear but even he said I looked pre-baby (his compliments are often cleverly concealed grin). I think it was this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now