Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone gone from highlights back to brown hair?

(15 Posts)
HelenofSparta Thu 07-Jul-11 20:35:12

If so were you happy with it?
Have had highlights for the last 15 yrs and am seriously thinking of going back to my roots, but it is scary!!

apple99 Thu 07-Jul-11 20:41:13

Yes I did, I went in and had a toner put on to neutralise my highlights and then the nearest colour possible to my own natural over that, it turned out really well and I liked it. I was fed up of my highlights as had been having them for over 10 years.

moragbellingham Thu 07-Jul-11 20:41:32

I did.
But I thought I would have a lovely thick, glossy, chesnut mane for some reason. Turned out my hair is always a horrible mousey colour that needs colouring regularly anyway so I went back to blonde.

I think it's time to go a bit darker (I alternate between brown and blonde about every 2-3 years through boredom) so am going to have more toffee, honey colours in with darker highlights next time.

HelenofSparta Thu 07-Jul-11 20:45:50

Does the dye wash out a bit and your highlights show through again or does it stay brown??!

paddypoopants Thu 07-Jul-11 20:57:07

I did as well and I wished I'd never done it . I went back to blonde again eventually. If you have any grey hairs it is harder to cover them with a darker colour - highlights basically hide them.(and I'm not that old). It took me ages to grow out my highlights and yes you have to keep colouring until they grow out as the colour fades.

TattyDevine Thu 07-Jul-11 23:10:22

Me! I did. Twice. First time was back in 2005. I had been really quite blonde with highlights. Was getting roots done every 6 weeks or so. Had them make me a proper brunette at Charles Worthington in Exchange Square in London - great salon. They made me a deep warm brown, shiny as hell it was. They "filled in" my blonde and made me a dull khaki and then did the warm red. If they were doing a neutral or cool brown they probably would have "filled in" with a ginger toned transitional colour to balance the ash. But because I was going quite warm, I needed the ashy neutral tones in my base/filler.

2nd time was back in early June, did it myself. Used a similar philosophy. My highlights were not as "full on" this time, I was Jennifer Anniston's type of colour. But I still needed a transitional shade. I had chosen Nice n Easy Natural Medium Golden Brown as my "new" shade so used Loreal Recital Preferance "Rimini Lightest Brown" as my transitional shade. It worked a treat - pics on profile.

Do your highlights start to show again? A little - in a very subtle way, as colour fades, but its lovely having that graduation of colour. If I lose that and start to look very blocky or build-uppy, I will get some highlights, probably just a t-section, and "colour over" with a shade lighter for that graduated look. But if you choose the right colour, you should be able to have a block colour easily enough - its when you go too dark that it feels wrong.

If you are scared, a good transition into brunettedom can be to go brunette but to have a hairdresser do it and put a few slices of lighter colour on the under layers - so you are not getting roots as such but it slightly lightens and adds interest to the overall effect. That's what I had Charles Worthington do back in 2005 and I think it made it much easier to be a brunette.

Clarence15 Fri 08-Jul-11 08:39:51

I have twice and ended up blonde again within 6 mths. I ended up colouring it more often because they grey showed quicker, and I just 'feel' better being blonde. Won't be doing it again.

whoneedssleepanyway Fri 08-Jul-11 09:38:45

Yes...my advice...DON'T DO IT

you started colouring your hair for a reason, I hated it when I went back. To be fair it was quite drastic, so if you do it , i would recommend gradually going back to your darker colour.

like Clarence I was blonde highlighted again within a matter of months, i look at photos of me at my BIL's wedding and hate them with my dark hair.

baguettecut Fri 08-Jul-11 10:52:00

Yes, I did. Long old job, but worth it.

Pinkjenny Fri 08-Jul-11 10:57:23

I did. I was quite blonde for about twelve years, but after I had the dc, just had no time to maintain it. I went back to brunette about five years ago and haven't regretted it at all, apart from the grey hairs which are way more noticeable and make me <<balk>>

I am quite dark, though. I have dark eyes and reasonably dark skin, and I do think brown hair suits me more than blonde, so it's about what works best with your colouring etc.

oohlaalaa Fri 08-Jul-11 12:50:27

oooh, I'm a honey blonde naturally, and as a teenager and early 20s had highlights. I got fed up of maintaining them, and for last seven years have been my natural honey blonde. Think from Reese Witherspoon blonde to Hayden Panettiere blonde.

I find my natural colour so much more manageable, and my hair is in better condition. Not started going grey yet, may have to reconsider at a later date.

clucky80 Fri 08-Jul-11 15:52:11

From the age of about 20 to 25 I had more and more highlights put in so ended up quite blonde. My natural hair colour is a browny red colour but I have quite pale skin and dark eyebrows. I wanted to go darker so my hairdresser at the time used foils to put different shades of brown in to give it movement or something (!) and it meant I wasn't going straight to a flat brown colour. After that I stuck with brown until I got pregnant and fancied a change and got highlights again. I hated it and dyed it straight back! I am dark brown now and love it! I have got naturally curly hair though and it is fairly fine from different medications I have to take so the brown tends to make it look shiner and thicker.

TattyDevine Fri 08-Jul-11 18:04:17

I think once you get the idea in your head, its something you have to try or you just keep musing over it. Througout my early 20's, I was blonde and adamant I'd never be anything but blonde. But somewhere along the way I got curious and I thought about it here and there for 2 years before actually doing it.

When I did it, I was amazed how much better it felt. Obviously I am naturally brunette, albeit a boring light nothing brown version (naturally anyway). I have brown eyes too so it does suit.

Earlier this year I tentatively touched on it again, mainly because it had been so long and I'd got rid of a lot of colour build up so I just wanted a brief revisit just to see what it felt like. I realised that brunette was much better for me and I don't think I'll go back now unless perhaps when I am very very grey and quite old, I might do the "blonde grey lady" thing.

Sometimes you just have to try these things. It not the end of the world if it doesn't suit - you could just highlight again, or even do ColourB4.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Fri 08-Jul-11 18:56:00

Yep another one here that has done it twice,first time I did it by having it cut out,2nd time my friend who is a hairdresser did it properly & I loved it,had so many compliments on how lovely it looked too......strangely though 3 years down the line am now thinking of going back down the highlights route again,get bored after a while & have grey hairs showing through so have to home dye now to pretend the ageing process is not really happening grin

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Fri 08-Jul-11 20:16:05

Yes, I didn't really like it and went back to blonde after a couple of months. Just felt so dull!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now