Talk

Advanced search

GHDs or something else?

(11 Posts)
gabity Wed 06-Jul-11 15:10:41

Just had an e-mail from Ladbrokes to say they are shutting my account as I haven't used it since 2007...now I can't remember ever betting online but hey ho I'll take the balance thank you very much!! £140 now sitting in my paypal account.

ANYWAY...

I have been lusting after a decent pair of straighteners for ages but never had the cash to do anything about it. Now I have money which I didn't know I had I'm going to treat myself but am unsure which ones to get? Don't want to make a mistake as its unlikely I will ever be able to afford another pair!!!

Please assist! My hair is almost touching my shoulders, needs straightened every day and is really thick (if that has any bearing).

p.s or should I be sensible and save my new found wealth? Or treat my OH or DD? Feel bad spending that amount on myself!!!

Billygean Wed 06-Jul-11 15:43:58

I bought myself some GHDs about three months ago and I am so pleased I did. I used to have a pair of Rimmingtons and while they got my hair straight the whole process took longer. The GHDs are SO quick, and I too have quite thick hair (well, I have a lot of hair). They also have some cute little features - they beep when you turn them on, beep twice when hot enough, and then beep and (I presume) turn off when you haven't used them in a while though I haven't tested this yet!

What I would say though is that I got my GHDs from ebay for £80 and they're perfect, so you don't have to spend all the money on hair straighteners, though I do worry about mine breaking as no warranty.

Jammygal Wed 06-Jul-11 15:45:45

GHDs really are good but make sure you buy genuine one's!
I love mine and I have similar unruly thick hair. They should last you a while too ;)

Dillydollydaydream Wed 06-Jul-11 15:59:34

I've tried loads of hair straighteners. My GHDs have lasted nearly 4 years so far and are still perfect. I l

Dillydollydaydream Wed 06-Jul-11 16:00:51

Ove the way you can also use the GHDs to do waves and curls.
Yes they are more expensive but if I work out all my others cost over the time I had them then it's not that expensive really!

OpusProSerenus Wed 06-Jul-11 16:03:29

Another vote for GHDs here. We have tried cheaper ones but they are inferior.

gabity Wed 06-Jul-11 17:36:24

okay dokey...GHDs it is...but which GHDs?

<Clueless>

ScarletOHaHa Wed 06-Jul-11 17:49:18

LOVE GHDs here - had mine for 4 years and use them everyday.

My hair is long and fine and I like the narrower ones that have plates about 2cms wide.

cookielove Wed 06-Jul-11 18:00:22

I love my GHDS and i think i've had mine since i was 18, i have an older version of these i also have thick hair although mine is down below my shoulders thank god i don't have to do mine every day grin

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Wed 06-Jul-11 18:56:58

I think mine are generation 4?

letsgetloud Wed 06-Jul-11 20:39:11

I have the wider ones than cookie. I have very thick hair and thought these would straighten my hair quicker which they do. I can straighten it in 15 minutes whereas with the smaller ghd's it would take over half an hour.

I have had mine for over 6 years and they are still working great. Only use them once or twice a month though.

I agree with others. Other straighteners just don't compare. Oh and if you also want to be able to curl your hair with the ghd's then don't buy the wide ones like mine, as too wide to curl hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now