Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Grooming help needed!

(15 Posts)
awaywiththepixies Tue 05-Jul-11 18:12:45

I realise that I have, as they say "let myself go". I find myself at 44, overweight, badly dressed and pretty unkempt. I am still wearing my pregnancy tops because I can't really afford new clothes, my hair is showing about 2 inches of greying roots and it is a long time since my face has seen any make up. The only positive is I am always clean and my hair is always washed. What are your minimum grooming standards? Where do I start, bearing in mind I have a very very very limited budget.

NotEnoughTime Tue 05-Jul-11 18:41:33

Hi awaywiththepixies

I too feel I have "let myself go"-Im the big 4 0 next year so Im determined to be fab at forty not fat at forty grin

My grooming routine is to have my hair highlighted and cut every 6/7 weeks. I have a manicure and pedicure once a month. For my birthday and Christmas my husband and friends dont buy me physical birthday presents but will give me vouchers for my local spa which I pool together to treat myself to a facial or massage and that way I dont feel guilty for treating myself.

I try to walk a few times a week to try and stay fit.

I always have handcream in my bag and put it on everytime after I have washed my hands.

It is a faff sometimes but I find that the more you try and take care of your appearance then the better you will feel. Good luck.

ellangirl Tue 05-Jul-11 19:30:27

absolute minimum in my opinion- hair clean, basic make up (foundation, blusher, mascara, lip gloss), nails varnished with clear, legs and pits shaved, eyebrows plucked.

Home hair colour is not expensive- there are been a few threads on this recently. Get a low maintenence hair cut- shoulder length with a few layers for example, so that you can tie it up if needed. Losing a bit of weight will help you feel so much better in whatever clothes you wear. I always iron clothes too- even basic teeshirts, as it looks so much smarter.

Gillybobs Tue 05-Jul-11 19:36:59

Totally agree, clean hair, minimal make up, smart-ish clothes are a must.

Home hair colouring is super cheap(less than a fiver), really easy and only takes half an hour. Just stick to a colour similar to your own to avoid disasters. Agree you need to get an easy to look after style that doesnt take a lot of effort to style.

I would also say a light foundation, blusher and mascara are absolute minimum daily look, I would never ever go out without just a little make up.

brookeslay Tue 05-Jul-11 19:45:11

check out local college for beauty treatments. If you have a second year student you are getting a well trained practioner. Get a manicure/pedicure to start off with.

You can get some good samples sizes for products try ebay.

makeup good brand

suzisew Tue 05-Jul-11 20:30:23

I agree with the above posters but just to add... M&S do a range of good quality CHEAP make-up. Ebay's fab for bargain clothes smile

inkystinky Tue 05-Jul-11 20:33:40

All of the above smile but Id like to add lots of moisturiser and perhaps a hint of sun to give you a bit of a colour and funky necklaces to brighten up even the most boring t shirt......also sunglasses.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:43:43

Aldi make up is very good, anything you want to learn look it up on youtube, blowdrying tips things like that.

Seche vite top coat makes any nail varnish look fab and chip free, marvelous stuff you can get it for £6ish on ebay.

Eyebrow shapes are a must and a local college with a beauty course could do it for you quite cheaply.

Ring round local salons and ask if they need models for trainees, I'd still do it but my fave salon stopped it. I used to have what I wanted done for pennies.

Salt and glycerin makes a good body scrub, glycerin is in the chemist under cough medicines, you need the plain stuff not the flavoured ones.

wicketkeeper Tue 05-Jul-11 20:48:06

Totally agree that you will feel better for looking better - turns out pride isn't a deadly sin after all. Basic minimum - everything shaved/waxed/plucked that needs to be, nicely shaped nails, roots sorted. Cheap things you can do yourself - body lotion after a bath, exfoliate now and again (you're supposed to do it once a week, but let's be realistic here), home manicure/pedicure. I find the staff at Boots really helpful - I went in to ask about foundation (mine had run out, and I'd never been too sure if it was the right shade any way), and ended up having a full make-up lesson for nothing. Agree about the ironing too. Take a look at Primark, and also I've just discovered boohoo.com - got two maxi dresses for £23 including delivery. I'm very excited for you - you won't recognise yourself in a couple of months!!

wordfactory Tue 05-Jul-11 22:20:30

1. Get a good haircut. By which I mean one that suits your face and you will find easy to keep up.
2. Either get rid of those roots or go grey in a chic way.
3. Shape your eyebrows.
4. Tinted moisturiser, a tad of blush, mascara and voila.
5. Keep your lips plump...exfoliate and balm.
6. If you can't afford regular manicures keep nails short, rounded and buffed.
7. Perfume. Always.
8. Srat thinking about a new capsule wardrobe. You don't need loads but everything must earn its place by being flattering.
9. Posture. Stand tall, shoulders back, chin up.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Tue 05-Jul-11 22:37:25

Minimum for me is basic make-up (tinted moisturiser, blusher, mascaram under eye concealer and bronzer)
Hair blow-dryed and straightened or put up
Eyebrows plucked
Legs shaved
Toenails painted!
Nails short and filed but neat
Outfit matching and as neat as possible with some jewellery or a scarf or something to make it a bit more interesting.

I'm also on a tight budget but have always worn make-up so I suppose I see that as an essential, I will always find money for it and you can pick things up cheap. I had to use my Boots points to buy a mascare this time instead of getting a more expensive one. Hair I use a mobile hairdresser as they tend to be lots cheaper and am going to have a go with a home hair dye. I guess everything else is just a question of time, I paint my nails and things like that when the baby is in bed.

Clothes are harder, I am just using every single thing in my wardrobe and trying to work out new combinations, even just sticking some bangles on makes me feel better.

worldgonecrazy Wed 06-Jul-11 08:55:01

If money is tight go to your local beauty college. Our local one does full head to toe treatments for about £12 and haircuts and colours for £7. You will be a model for the students to use but they are heavily supervised by experts so you get the best of both worlds.

My minimum grooming is light make up and clean hair, short nails if I haven't had a manicure.

Council run gyms are cheap/free if you have one local or get the 30 day shred for a couple of quid off ebay.

I don't wear perfume but that's a hangover from my 'hunting' days as it blocks the natural sex pheromones.

For clothes I am a charity shop fan and have found some amazing bargains, such as a brand new with tags (last season) Armani blouse for £14.00.

archanat10 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:34:24

-be neat and tidy
-well kept hair
-not repeating clothes consecutively
-shoes polished or in rt condition
rt in budget clothes try iffyton,shirtinator
and IF Want to make money working from home?see how ££ pour on u ;) try this link http://ht.ly/50zGK hope it be of some help smile

LuckyMrsT Wed 06-Jul-11 09:54:00

Hi OP, I think you've identified a few of the essentials yourself. Sort out your greys, lose a few pounds and get out of those tops. Those seem to be the things that bother you most so start there.

I wear make up every day now - foundation, concealer, eyebrows, nude eyeshadow and mascara - and feel much better for it. There were several years when I didn't bother and I too looked pretty scruffy.

My top tip for you is to remember that how you are now is just a result of bad habits and is not who you are. Starting to wear make up and make more effort is something you need to do EVERY DAY for a few weeks or so until it becomes second nature (it will - but all habits take a little time to form). Exciting times for you!

MissKittyEliza Wed 06-Jul-11 10:11:37

Nails short with Aldi pale buff varnish. Tough stuff lasts ages with just one coat. Foundation, blush (so I look like I have a pulse) , lots of mascara (otherwise I look asleep!) and lippy. Second the lip plump....Sainsbury's do a good one.

Get a good hair cut. I wash and leave. Haven't used hairdryers in years....even when I got married.

Plummy red varnish on my trotters. My feet are ugly so, it's the best I can do.

Am 49 next month. I'm doing the best I can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: