Talk

Advanced search

Brand new Toast pjs and a packet of Dylon...

(29 Posts)
acatcalledbob Mon 04-Jul-11 10:29:31

... wish me luck! I ordered these the other day and I don't like the pale citrus colour (would have preferred the blue/green but none in my size and white looks transparent).

Anyhoo, pjs are in the wash with a pack of "blue jeans" dye - they're linen so won't be a problem. Anyone else dye new clothes?

ggirl Mon 04-Jul-11 10:32:22

god that pale citrus colour is vile

yy I have dyed new clothes before, also linen ,was very successful

acatcalledbob Mon 04-Jul-11 10:37:44

Was thinking about dye when I ordered them - and for once the colour on the screen was pretty accurate!

FrancesFarmer Mon 04-Jul-11 11:19:00

Wishing you luck!

I just ordered this dress off Toast. Hope it's not drab in real life.

acatcalledbob Mon 04-Jul-11 12:15:18

They look lovely! Dark blue, very soft and good quality linen too. Chuffed.com

Well done, I love dying stuff, I have a brand new, sale bought, white Boden denim jacket upstairs just waiting for me to decide on a colour.

Lavender or kiwi green?

acatcalledbob Mon 04-Jul-11 12:33:49

What colour is the stitching and would that affect your decision (it won't dye)? Personally I'd go for the green as I think it would look better with dark jeans that I wear lots.... both lovely colours though.

The stiching is that colour that lots of denim is sewn with, a yellowy/buff colour.

I think it is cotton so will pick up the dye. I know when I dyed a denim skirt last year it dyed the stiching too.

I also wear alot of dark denim and agree about the green, but also wear alot of dark/shocking pink tops (it is my best colour) so am very torn.....

Also have thought about dying it shocking pink as I know it would really suit me, but not sure if I can carry it off.

acatcalledbob Mon 04-Jul-11 14:21:15

Pink sounds lovely - it's summer, of course you can carry it off.

Looking through my wardrobe, wondering what else to dye ... think I can darken some jeans as a starter!!!

Oooooh enabler! grin

Am tempted now.

Colour chart here, torn between 02,03 and 29.

Jeans are great to do, as are towels, like getting a whole new set.

My most ambitious project was the loose cover and all the cushions off of a three seater settee, it took an awful lot of dye though.

acatcalledbob Mon 04-Jul-11 16:07:15

Oooh, towels, I have some white and cream ones that are a bit boring.... Would love violet towels!!!

I like 29, a bit darker than I thought so better (not that cheap, neony pink). Mind you, I still have fond memories of a Boden velvet pea coat in bright pink that died about 5 years ago....

Do it, do it, do it!!!! Then post photos grin

Violet towels is a good idea, I was thinking of doing mine Goldfish grin

As long as the pink came out like this then I am sooooo tempted, but what it is a lighter, not so nice pink?

The lavender and green could come out slightly wrong and still be nice iyswim.

<deeply indecisive>

acatcalledbob Mon 04-Jul-11 16:18:20

Like the goldfish!

I like that rich flamingo pink, I was wondering if you were talking about a colder, slightly bluer pink. I think that if you do pink, you should really go for it and make it bright like your link. On a white fabric, as long as you have enough dye for the weight, it should be gorgeous.

Off to bed now (it's late here) but will be at the DIY shop tomorrow, stocking up grin

droves Mon 04-Jul-11 16:32:54

£62 for pj`s ???

why ?confused

acatcalledbob Tue 05-Jul-11 04:33:01

Because I like good quality fabric, had some birthday money, live outside the EU so get 20% off on top.

Right, my last jacket wibble, checked the label and it is 98% cotton and 2% elastane, I am really hoping it won't give it a white 'fleck'.

I have never ummed and ahhhed so much about dying something, I think it is because the fit is so perfect and I really don't want to make a hash of it.

In RL everyone is being crap, my Mum says 'leave it white' hmm, best friens and sil, both think I am crackers 'why, didn't you just get one in the colour you wanted?' and dp has a new iphone so only goes 'ummmmmm' if anything grin

acatcalledbob Tue 05-Jul-11 08:03:53

I'd have thought you would be fine, don't think elastane will show up as it's in the fibre I think rather than alongside it.

Personally I would do it.

If it's terrible, can you bleach it back to white?

Just dyed some horrible brown linen trousers olive green, as well as a pale green T shirt that never gets worn- 2 great results! Must stop before this goes too far.....!

That sounds like it will be okay then, I am going to have to bite the bullet and go and buy the dye.

There is no 'going to far' it is the cheapest way ever to re-vamp your wardrobe grin

MissBeehiving Tue 05-Jul-11 10:28:09

This is very interesting <eyes up wardrobe>

Elemental Tue 05-Jul-11 11:51:09

On this subject - I ordered some dylon from amazon, but when it arrived it was the handwash one. Really don't want to spend an hour stirring a tub, does anyone know if I could use that in the machine?

droves Tue 05-Jul-11 13:09:03

acatcalledbob grin

niminypiminy Tue 05-Jul-11 13:22:59

I think Elemental that it's the same dye but in the machine packs there's twice as much of it (so you would need two lots to get the same result).

I used goldfish on my towels and the results were wonderful (started out a dirty yellow after an unfortunate colour run).

<vicariously excited at the thought of a pink jacket>

Elemental Tue 05-Jul-11 14:48:30

Oh brilliant, cheers!

acatcalledbob Wed 06-Jul-11 06:29:34

Wild, have you dyed yet? I did some jeans containing elastene last night (just a darker blue as they were faded) and there are very tiny white flecks when you look closely. No so you'd notice and the jeans look fab but just wanted to warn you.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now