Talk

Advanced search

How do I find a beauty salon that will do a PROPER facial, none of your namby pamby whale music stuff.

(12 Posts)
LadyDamerel Sat 02-Jul-11 20:48:57

I have really bad milia on both cheekbones that I want dealing with so I need a facial that involves needles and magnifying mirrors I think.

But what do I need to look for/ask for?

Also, is there anything I can do at home to deal with them? I use a mild exfoliating wash in the mornings and make-up remover on cotton wool in the evenings, followed by serum/moisturiser (Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream - day and Garnier Nutritionist Night cream) but they aren't going!

TattyDevine Sat 02-Jul-11 21:09:09

Really what you want is "milia removal", many beauty salons do this as a separate service, often because they don't like to overstimulate your skin with all the oils and essences and stuff if they do it as part of a facial, if that makes sense. They may not advertise it as a service on their treatment menu but most large salons will do it, as long as they have staff trained to use needles in extraction.

Some places even zap them with an electrolosis needle and they fall off about 3 days later. I love this method, not many places do it though. If you live in Essex I can tell you a place that does though!

So you might have to get on the phone and ring around and ask about millia removal, then once they are dealt with you can resume your nice land-rights-for-gay-whales type facials which are nice for pampering.

SugarSkyHigh Sat 02-Jul-11 21:13:13

there's nothing you can do at home that will deal with them - you need to get them zapped. It's not even that expensive! I went for a Guinot facial and the beautician asked me if i would like my milia zapped - she did it with a needle thing but it didn't hurt at all.

Look for a salon that lists milia as one of the things it deals with - or just call and ask "do you do milia?"

LaurieFairyCake Sat 02-Jul-11 21:13:19

The elemis tri enzyme facial is very deep - ask for therapist to clear millia during.

LadyDamerel Sat 02-Jul-11 21:15:11

Ah, that will be why I can't find it on any of my local salon's websites. I will have a ring round on Monday then, thank you.

Unfortunately I am a very very long way from Essex, they're not bad enough to warrant an 8 hour round trip!

SugarSkyHigh Sat 02-Jul-11 21:15:54

ha ha and then resume the "land-rights-for-gay-whales type facials" - i love that

If you live in Herts I can tell you a place that does this method - I didn't know it was that rare though.

LadyDamerel Sat 02-Jul-11 21:19:06

Sorry, X-posts. I'm glad it doesn't hurt - do they disappear instantly and more importantly do they stay away with normal skin care?

TattyDevine Sat 02-Jul-11 21:28:11

Well, if you are slightly prone to them you might get more from time to time but they will be new ones, so nothing to do with how you got rid of them.

I can't remember what causes then but regular exfoliation with a proper AHA type exfoliant (Paula's choice 10% AHA or 8% Beta hydroxy) would probably keep them at bay

SugarSkyHigh Sat 02-Jul-11 21:36:57

they kind of scab over and then fall of IYSWIM

SugarSkyHigh Sat 02-Jul-11 21:37:11

*off

LadyDamerel Sat 02-Jul-11 21:47:18

I don't seem to have developed any more since I started looking after my skin a bit more (i.e, not going to bed with my makeup on blush) so I'm hoping if I can clear them I will look a lot better.

Can I use AHA stuff on skin that's a bit sensitive?

TattyDevine Sat 02-Jul-11 21:54:31

With caution, I would think, follow manufacturers guidelines etc etc - I would probably ask a therapist first and not necessarily buy her product (depending what it is) but glean some info about suitability as I'm not a qualified person so would hate to give you a bum-steer...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now