Talk

Advanced search

Bikini for 51 year old??

(12 Posts)
Deaddei Sat 02-Jul-11 17:32:21

Having toned up considerably over the last few months, I have decided, at the age of 51, to wear a bikini for the first time ever on holiday in a months time.
First of all am I too old? Will people laugh at me and say "ha, Helen Mirren you are not?"
I am 6 feet tall, size 12 bottom, 36 E bust, not particularly wrinkly.
Secondly.....I have looked at a few sites but the bikini bottoms all look ridiculously tiny. Where can you get decent sized ones?

gettingolderbytheday Sat 02-Jul-11 17:58:44

You're no way too old to wear a bikini. In fact your size sounds great to me. If you go to a shop that sells Freya or Fantasie they do bra sized tops and a couple of styles of bottoms, usually with one bigger than the other. I would go up a size in the little ones as they tend to come up small anyway. Bravissimo do them and sometimes JL. They have a factory shop too in Desborough.

faustina Sat 02-Jul-11 18:02:13

well I'm 51 and I wear bikinis. I don't think anyone has ever laughed at me - and if they did I would tell them to go and boil their heads. There's a nice bikini bottom at boden at the moment - it's called the chic bikini bottom, and it has a kind of fold over bit on top, so you can make it bigger or smaller as you prefer. it's very flattering!

Zwitterion Sat 02-Jul-11 18:02:15

Whistles have a really lovely navy and tan 50s style bikini - but the top is a titchy triangle affair.

I saw lots of bigger pant style ones on asos too.

And I think you'll look great.

faustina Sat 02-Jul-11 18:04:44

also try figleaves - triumph for your curves do really good underwired tops

thejaffacakesareonme Sat 02-Jul-11 18:14:38

I'd love to have your figure so I could wear a bikine. Go for it!

ENormaSnob Sat 02-Jul-11 18:53:18

If I had a figure like your I would be in a thong.

GreenTeapot Sat 02-Jul-11 18:55:54

My aunt is 57 and can work a bikini - she looks awesome. You sound like you have a fab figure. Go for it!

coccyx Sat 02-Jul-11 19:00:40

you will look fab. go girl

nickschick Sat 02-Jul-11 19:05:25

I always think the key element to bikini weraring is confidence ....you got it girl - you flaunt it!!!

tulpe Sat 02-Jul-11 20:20:19

Your figure sounds gorgeous. Do not look at this as an age issue. Look at it as "I want to wear a bikini because I bloody well want to. Ok?!"

Second vote for the Boden chic bikini (I think it is in the sale too). It has good rear end coverage without being remotely frumpy. The top is underwired and has good support. I think it would be very flattering to a larger bust. The Iris colour is beautiful and will look fab with a tan smile

LuckyMrsT Sat 02-Jul-11 20:25:57

Your measurements sound awesome. You will look fantastic. I laughed at you being worried about being too old!!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now