Talk

Advanced search

I need *you* to find me a dress. . . please!!

(13 Posts)
Jezabelle Fri 01-Jul-11 21:31:58

DD's naming ceremony in a few weeks. I want to wear a dress. It's outside and the weather's going to be great (eternal optimist). So I'm thinking something summery, quite smart, but not too smart as don't want to show DH up! He'll be in linen trousers, white tunic shirt and flip flops. I quite fancy a flowery dress, but nothing too bright as my DDs will both be in flowery dresses and I don't want us to look like a gaudy bouquet!

I'm 5'10" and a size 10 if that helps.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 01-Jul-11 21:37:50

What sort of colours do you like ? What are your best/worst bits ? Budget ? Few suggestions to start...

here

black & white

pretty

Jezabelle Fri 01-Jul-11 22:09:39

Oh thanks Tilly, you sound as if you know the questions to ask which will help me sort my own thoughts out. From your suggestions I love the pretty option, but am looking at under £100, hopefully quite a bit less, but I know this might be tricky.

I like this this but not available in my size.

I like this but will clash with my girls!

I lovethis but, although it says they have it in a 10, whenever I click onto it, it won't let me buy saying my size is unavailable.

Definately short (as in knee length or a bit shorter). I like the style of all of your posts Tilly, just not keen on the first 2 prints, but can't put my finger on why!

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 01-Jul-11 22:17:02

I know what you mean. I suspect they may be a bit "old" iyswim ?

how about this ?

this ?

Jezabelle Fri 01-Jul-11 22:21:29

I LOVE the first, but think it's too dressy. Not sure about the print on second. But better than the first 2 prints on first link! I forgot about Oasis, will go and check out their site now. Thanks!

Jezabelle Fri 01-Jul-11 22:37:20

Just found this (like your suggesgtion tilly, but more summery colours so doesn't seem so smart iyswim).

Also like this.

What do you think? And do you think they're too short. I'm 36!

Clure Fri 01-Jul-11 22:37:33

I tried this on today if you like prom style its a gorgeous summery print
mint velvet a bit understated
this from DP
I bought this, lovely on though not sure it may be too bright for your requirements

Jezabelle Fri 01-Jul-11 22:51:14

Really like the 1st and last links there Clure. Just too tired to think straight right now! DD2 had me up in the night last night. I'll take a fresh look tomorrow. BTW, how did the prom style one look on? Did you get it?

Tillyscoutsmum Sat 02-Jul-11 09:12:00

too smart?

Like your first one Jessabelle but not sure the colours are a bit ... meh.. As for being too short, I'm 36 and would wear them if my legs were up to it

tulip skirted

a bit more casual

bargain !!

corlan Sat 02-Jul-11 10:22:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

corlan Sat 02-Jul-11 11:12:22

Jezabelle - The oasis dress you linked to is in stock at John Lewis in size 10. here

Clure Sat 02-Jul-11 13:21:38

Jezabelle I didn't get the prom style dress as the size 8 was too big around the bust and shoulders on me and they didn't have it in a 6. the length was good, fabric and print were lovely.
monsoon alternative
kookai bargain
pretty teadress

Jezabelle Sun 03-Jul-11 22:49:01

OK. I have ordered the dress that I originally liked that colan found me on the J. Lewis site. Thanks so much for that!

I did adore your first "smart" option though Tilly. DH preferred the one I ordered though so that was the deciding factor. Clure, think I might order the "pretty teadress" anyway, because I LOVE it!! Not for the ceremony though. Not dressy enough for that.

Thanks all. If the one I've ordered doesn't look right on I might get back to you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now