Talk

Advanced search

Me and bras just dont get on

(12 Posts)
bacon Fri 01-Jul-11 12:05:47

I still wear my old maternity (not bf) bras as so comfy. The straps dont slip and nothing digs in. I am a 40B so big solid rib cage and flat chested. My boobs have a bit of a gap in the middle so not glam in bikini at all.

I love days when I go bra-less but my shape doesnt suit it unless tops with support.

I dont know where to turn really. I used to wear those short bra vests things (sloggi used to do them) but are there alternatives. When I see photos I cring as I have two round small blobs with gap in the middle - strange I know. I'm not keen on frills or too much nylon either. I never can understnd how some ladies squeeze into 36/38 when much bigger and heavier than me - I'm a size 16.

ANyone help with shops/brands or styles.

dexter73 Fri 01-Jul-11 12:56:50

I would go to John Lewis or Bravissimo and get measured. I bet you will be measured a different size to what you are wearing.

HouseOfBamboo Fri 01-Jul-11 13:07:45

Have you measured yourself as explained by Hetty on the other thread? I think you measure yourself with a bra on - under the bust where the strap is, then over the largest part of your bust). The 'under the bust' measurement is your theoretical strap size (36, 38, 40 etc). You get the cup size by seeing what the difference is between the 'under the bust' and the 'over the bust' measurement. 1 inch bigger is an A cup, 2 inches a B cup, 3 a C cup, 4 a D cup, 5 an E cup and so on.

Apparently this is not your definitive size, just a starting point for trying on bras.

Having said that I do sympathise, I've got widely spaced boobs too (I think confused ) and nothing but a crop top seems to fit them properly.

bacon Fri 01-Jul-11 19:08:02

are there any nice alternatives to a traditional bra?

HettyKett Fri 01-Jul-11 19:23:05

M&S have plenty in your size, just don't let them fit you

these start at a 42 but if you're lucky they might come up small.

HettyKett Fri 01-Jul-11 19:24:20

Bamboo explains it perfectly, but I think I spotted you measuring properly on the other thread already.

HettyKett Fri 01-Jul-11 19:40:51

You have measured, haven't you? <stern look>

I'm a bit confused about the gap in the middle issue. Breasts have a gap between them, mine are about 3cm apart (it's hard to say exactly as they hang and one is a good bit higher than t'other). Anyway, do you mean you prefer the mono-boob cleavage look. That you're after a separated cleavage affair or that you just want good shaping without cleavage. I find cleavage too sweaty to tolerate TBH, only do it when I really have to. Almost never.

satine Fri 01-Jul-11 19:45:55

Get thee to a rigby and peller. Every woman should go at least once. If there's any way you could scrape together £40 odd for a bra, they will find you a bra that a) you won't know you're wearing, it'll be so comfy and b) will make you look so much better than you thought you could in a bra. They are magical and not at all scary or snooty.
I realise that their bras are not the cheapest but they last for years. And look so much better then maternity bras or vest tops with support which give you a kind of mono-boob.

HouseOfBamboo Sat 02-Jul-11 09:43:05

Re comfortable (but not fugly) alternatives to a traditional bra, this is a bit of a holy grail for me.

Have googled (yet again) and found this one which I haven't seen before - bit high cut for my liking and I don't like the fact that you have to buy 3 for £59, you can't buy them singly. And I don't like thick shoulder straps personally. But might be worth a look:

Ahh Bra

Also this one - again too high cut with too wide shoulder straps I think, but possibly okay under some clothes:

Eden House

This is an Australian company so probably not much good for buying, but an interesting article on their site:

Bodywise

and

Bodywise products

HouseOfBamboo Sat 02-Jul-11 10:01:41

Okay more googling...

I haven't seen this one before, eek at the price but looks really good (apart from the wide straps and lack of black colourway):

Anita non-wired

Anita's whole range is worth a look:

Figleaves Anita

bacon Sat 02-Jul-11 11:59:24

ok, I have remeasured as per prev. 38 under and 41.5 bust. However I have tried numerous bras and 38 is tight! If this is accurate then I should be 38D ???? Is this correct as I am actually wearing a 40B M&S today and the cup is perfect.

I really do agree with going to a proper bra shop and can stretch to a R&P bra but will have to find a shop.

What I mean by the shape of boobs is that they face out left and right. When you see ladies in bikini tops you see shape, a fullness and slight drop. Mine look strange. Sort of need a pinch in and then they would look nice.

HettyAmaretti Sat 02-Jul-11 12:10:22

The measurements bring you out as a 38C or 38D, will depend on the bra in question. Probably usually a 38C, which has exactly the same cup as a 40B. I've yet to hear of M&S putting anyone in the right sized bra. Ever.

The band should be tight, that's what gives the support, with the correct support then shaping is also possible. If the band is loose then a bra goes with the breasts rather than the breasts going with the bra. The tigtness of the band is well worth getting used to, really it is.

Back in the day my breasts pointed left and right too, not any more, it's just a normal variation. IME no two pairs of breasts (and indeed no two individual breasts) are the same.

Get thee to R&P wink

(Back to normal name now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now