Talk

Advanced search

Job Interview

(17 Posts)
WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 30-Jun-11 19:49:28

Hello everyone,

I could really do with some help.

I have worked as a nanny before but am now at uni and am preparing for my first ever 'real' job interview! I am not from the UK and have no one here to help me pick something to wear but DP, and he and usually just grunts when I ask whether something looks good wink

I am 23 and am usually a jeans and shirt kind of person. I cannot walk on heels for the life of it. I look like a stork!

It should probably be some sort of suit or fancy dress and matching shoes. I am between a size 12 and 16, with wide hips and too much bum. So I am not sure I can go for fitted skirts? No big breasts though, more a pear shape.

I have no idea where to start with this to be honest and would really appreciate some ideas, suggestions etc.

Thank you very much smile

HumptyDumpty1 Thu 30-Jun-11 19:51:57

I'd go for black tailored trousers, possible pin striped and a White short sleeve blouse with a rounded neckline and a necklace. Maybe a black waistcoat thingy to go over the shirt and some black flats smile

That's what i'd wear anyway lol

WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 30-Jun-11 19:51:58

Oh, and I would probably need some sort of appropriate bag, too. Mine have flowers or patterns on them or are too tiny, but I will be required to bring water and food as it's an all day event.

And it's usually a 14 or 16 for my bottom, not so much a twelve there

WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 30-Jun-11 19:53:27

I cross-posted with you. Thanks for the suggestions. So no suit jacket? It's in August (in London) so a jacket might be too warm, but I am not sure whether it's required?

HumptyDumpty1 Thu 30-Jun-11 20:18:58

I'd go for a black bag, looks smart and professional. Depends what type of job your off for..if it's a job that requires a suit to wear then wear what you would wear for the job..if you get me lol.

I'd wear something smart, professional but that I felt comfy in, so if u'd feel comfy in a suit jacket wear one, you could always take it off smile

tethersend Thu 30-Jun-11 21:42:44

It's in August, you're 23 and a nanny. I'd avoid black, TBH. Loads of people will be wearing black, I think you need something neutral but lighter.

I would wear something like a beige pencil skirt with a loose blouse like this or this tucked in; this will balance out the pear shape.

I'd wear a pendant necklace and a coloured bag and heels. Perhaps green like this or this.

WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 30-Jun-11 23:04:31

It's not a nanny job tethersend, it's actually a position in a school. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, I just wanted to give some back ground info in general.

So Humpty, I don't think the position would require me to wear a suit every day but surely every now and then. And I think it would be appropriate for the interview?

So Tether, you think a pencil skirt will not make me look too big on the bottom? I have never had one before.

And definitely no heels, I really can't walk in them.

I found this dress that I quite liked, but am not sure whether it is smart enough?
here

tethersend Thu 30-Jun-11 23:24:05

Sorry, misunderstood... what position is it for? I'm a teacher smile

Yes, I think a fitted pencil skirt with a 'puffy' smart top balances out. I would perhaps smarten it up with a cropped jacket to match the skirt.

I like the dress you've linked to. I think it would be smart enough- I would again get a cropped jacket; something like this would work well with it.

WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 30-Jun-11 23:39:04

Oh you are? That's fab!

I would like to become a teacher so am applying to do the training now. This is my first every proper job interview so I am well nervous.

I really like the jacket, I think that would work really well with the dress actually. I will have a look around town this weekend. Not sure whether they will have this particular one in stock but something like this would be quite nice I think.
I can't spend too much either. Unfortunately my bank account won't stretch to much more than about 100 pounds.

tethersend Thu 30-Jun-11 23:40:58

Oh, good luck smile

Primary or secondary?

WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 30-Jun-11 23:43:04

Thank you. Primary, I love working with the age group

tethersend Thu 30-Jun-11 23:45:08

I think that dress will be perfect. I'd get it and try on a few jackets with it to see what works.

Come back and let us know how you get on smile

WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 30-Jun-11 23:55:37

Would flats go with it though? I would probably need to buy some new ones. It says in the descriptions that is has pink dots, so maybe some light pink ones would work.
I wish I could walk in those shoes they have on the website with it but it's not going to happen.

I will definitely be back to let you know, but it will be quite while. Are you a primary school teacher?

And Humpty, I think I will go for a black bag. I don't have one yet and a woman can surely never have too many handbags.

Quite looking forward to the shopping spree now that I got some ideas, I was dreading it earlier

tethersend Fri 01-Jul-11 00:01:38

No, I'm secondary.

I think pointed flats or kitten heels would work with the dress. Very hepburnesque...

tethersend Fri 01-Jul-11 00:02:02

No, I'm secondary.

I think pointed flats or kitten heels would work with the dress. Very hepburnesque...

HumptyDumpty1 Fri 01-Jul-11 11:07:44

Have a look in Primarni (primark lol) often have to really look but I've had some right bargains in there that don't look like they're cheap quality - could help with your budget.

Black bag is a must - goes with everything lol

WannaBeMarryPoppins Fri 12-Aug-11 02:08:08

Just thought I should let you know that I got the job! I am sure it was all your great shopping advice, I felt like I looked quite smart on the day grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now