Talk

Advanced search

Wedding. White strapless dress as a guest?

(21 Posts)
MonkeyJungleConga Thu 30-Jun-11 14:08:51

OK we're invited to a wedding. The bride has <ahem> history with my DH (going back before we were together) and at our wedding she wore a white strapless knee length dress. It was almost identical to my bridesmaids dresses.

I am sooooo tempted to follow her lead on this one and do the same on her wedding day. Someone stop me!

mittenkitten Thu 30-Jun-11 14:11:43

No darling. GET YOUR COLOURS DONE. Then pick out the deepest version of your "red." This is known as your romance colour. You will look stunning, glowing and sexy . . . and yet above reproach etiquette wise. MUCH better.

greycircles Thu 30-Jun-11 14:12:53

I wouldn't go to the wedding.

DilysPrice Thu 30-Jun-11 14:17:36

Wear a lovely appropriate coloured dress and a pair of binoculars in order to survey the ceremony from way up there on the moral Hugh ground.

DilysPrice Thu 30-Jun-11 14:18:36

Or even the "high" ground - iPhone is clearly distracted by thoughts of Four Weddings & a Funeral.

TrilllianAstra Thu 30-Jun-11 14:24:24

Of course not, don't be ridiculous.

At least 50% of that response is because a white strapless dress probably won't look very good.

Wear something fabulous that suits you, but that won't look to other guests that you are being spiteful and weird.

MonkeyJungleConga Thu 30-Jun-11 14:24:35

Oh come on! I wanted to lack class and be all possessive and start snogging DH just at the moment they say 'I do'. It would make it all so much more interesting. Surely you agree?

MonkeyJungleConga Thu 30-Jun-11 14:26:15

Well almost all the other guests were at ours and it was commented on very much at the time and subsequently so most people would get the reference.

Of course I'm not really going to do it but the temptation is really there big time.

mittenkitten Thu 30-Jun-11 14:27:09

grin

MonkeyJungleConga Thu 30-Jun-11 14:27:31

Am liking the romantic red option.

miche8 Thu 30-Jun-11 14:30:27

i wouldn't wear white but i'd make sure i had a fabulous dress, and my hair and makeup was extra perfect.

DoraJarr Thu 30-Jun-11 14:39:07

no way no way no way

PaleHandsILoved Thu 30-Jun-11 17:56:15

No - just make sure you look absolutely wonderful! Get hair and make up done professionally if necessary. And wear something amazing - I like the red suggestion above. Will it be a hats wedding? If you look good in hats, then get something great and really striking.

Jaspants Thu 30-Jun-11 19:20:29

There can't be such a thing as a total agreement thread on Mumsnet, so I'll say go for it. And carry a massive bouquet, and wear a veil and a tiara grin

Jaspants Thu 30-Jun-11 19:21:32

In fact don't go for strapless unless you know you will look fab in it, there are Pippa Middleton copy dresses flooding the bridal shops at the moment - wear one of them instead

Bonitas Thu 30-Jun-11 20:15:57

Doesn't matter what you wear - just get DH to walk in front of you scattering rose petals grin

kohl Thu 30-Jun-11 20:19:10

the question is - what will your retinue of pageboys wear?

ENormaSnob Thu 30-Jun-11 20:30:55

I would be wearing my own wedding dress, tiara, veil, the lot.

Either that or identical to the bridesmaids, including flowers.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Jun-11 20:46:00

Usually I'd say why not? I've worn white to a wedding and I dont see a problem with it.

But as she is your DH ex (and there clearly a cow) I aggree with the others, and raise the stakes to;

Professional manicure and pedicure
Salon spray tan
Pre-wedding CACI facials
2lts of water every day (you know it makes sense).

And be soooo nice to her. You are the better woman obviously!!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Jun-11 20:46:33

then, not there. honestly i wonder about myself.

MooMooFarm Thu 30-Jun-11 20:48:59

Don't lower yourself - just wear whatever will make you look gorgeous.... and don't forget to give your H a big snog during the slow dance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now