Talk

Advanced search

Help DP find his style

(7 Posts)
Lastyearsmodel Wed 29-Jun-11 21:33:27

Have got a night away coming up for my birthday in a reasonably smart hotel and want DP and I to look a bit, y'know, pulled together when we have dinner.

He doesn't really do smart smart (suit for job interviews and funerals), wears jeans for work, weekends, etc, and really struggles with anything in between.

His style, as far as it goes is sort of outdoorsy/technical/skatey, but there must be a way he can look smarter and comfortable - where do your stylish DPs and DHs shop? Any ideas of looks/outfits I can tempt him with? He's in his early 40s, btw.

Zwitterion Thu 30-Jun-11 13:24:13

Bumping and watching with interest.

DH is a walking FatFace advert.

Lastyearsmodel Thu 30-Jun-11 16:23:02

Anyone? I was in town today and I have to admit I didn't see many well groomed men or styles DP could copy. It was all suits and scruffs.

Somebody must have a smart man?

TattyDevine Thu 30-Jun-11 17:20:36

My DH has a very different style to yours so its not based on experience but I do find some catalogues can be helpful for "outfit making" - the key is to find a brand that he relates to and see how they put things together.

Obviously a personal shopper in a department store like John Lewis or Debenhams would be able to piece together an outfit that matches that description as they have various labels all under the same roof so they'd be able to choose stuff that is more "him"

I'll have a little browse around though based on what you have said and see if there is a website with an "outfit maker" type thing so he can look at some bits. It is a difficult time of year because a lot of retailers have gone to sale and many are out of stock of certain items.

TattyDevine Thu 30-Jun-11 17:30:49

Just to add, I know its a slight cliche but you can't go terribly wrong with vintage chinos and a shirt, and he can make the shirt element of the outfit "individual" to him, so if he's a little skater or outdoorsy, he could get a smarter shirt from Animal or somewhere and it would still be a smart outfit.

This link shows what I mean and gives an example of the kind of shoe he could wear with it.

He could then go slightly lairy of shirt or quirky or this kind of thing which just stops him looking too city striped or like Gap sicked all over him.

Is that sort of him or am I way off the mark?

Lastyearsmodel Thu 30-Jun-11 20:51:42

Thank you Tatty, you are helping no end.

Yes, chinos are the way forward. He's remembered some shoes he's got that aren't trainers (10 pairs), motorbike boots or funeral shoes. They are dark tan chunky lace ups, so chinos and a good shirt will be suitable. Do you think that sounds smart enough for dinner in a hotel?

The shirts you've linked are lovely - would love to see him in florals or dolphin print, but I think the green check would be his choice. He has dark auburn hair and green eyes so the colours you're picking are good too.

TattyDevine Thu 30-Jun-11 21:06:06

Oh good, I'm glad that was helpful. I'm less "style" and more "beauty" in terms of knowledge so that was lucky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now