Talk

Advanced search

Friend's winter wedding

(9 Posts)
WineAndPizza Wed 29-Jun-11 21:19:01

I have been invited to the wedding of a close friend in November and have no idea what to look at for a dress. It's a day and night thing in the same place so won't have to be outside too much but it's an old building (and November, obviously...) so may be chilly. Any ideas??

sittinginthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 21:22:35

I bought a gorgeous black and red dress for a November wedding a few years ago - think it was Karen Millen sale. Wore it with black coat, a big red rose, red umbrella... Favourite dress for ages.

WineAndPizza Wed 29-Jun-11 21:28:09

Love the matching umbrella! Thanks

bubblecoral Wed 29-Jun-11 22:06:34

I would try to avoid wearing too much black. I went to a November church wedding last year, and found that the majority of people wore black. It makes sense though, a lot of peoples vaguely warm smart outfits are black and dark colours, whereas it would be completely different in the summer.

Honestly, we turned up at the church and there were so many people wearing black that we could well have been at a funeral, and I expect passers by thought we were. It looks lovely on most people, but if I were you I would go out of my way to make sure I didn't wear black!

WineAndPizza Wed 29-Jun-11 22:47:32

Hmmm yes that was my worry Bubble...I have a lovely black maxi dress but I thought probably not ok for a wedding even in winter. Back to the drawing board!

PTA Wed 29-Jun-11 23:00:34

My sister was at a winter wedding in December and again, black dominated. Why not try a mid or light weight jersey dress with a shrug or wrap.

My sister had a very nice fake fur shrug/very short jacket. And she needed it as she had to go from church to venue and we're in Scotland!

Also, if you are really worried about the cold, why not try lightweight thermal vest and shorts? Maybe not sexy but effective! And if it gets too hot then just slip them off and stuff in your handbag.

WineAndPizza Wed 29-Jun-11 23:04:27

Yes I definitely think I will need some sort of wrap just want to make sure I find something warm enough - I do not deal well with cold! Fake fur sounds good. And love the thermal vest idea...the thought of the look on DP's face made me laugh...oh well, it's not our wedding night!

Zwitterion Wed 29-Jun-11 23:09:54

Ooh I love a winter wedding.

How about navy/midnight blue? Or plum or other rich colours. Agree about fur wrap too, or possibly velvet. Long gloves, pearls or sparkly jewellery.

WineAndPizza Thu 30-Jun-11 14:43:56

Ooh midnight blue sounds like a good idea! I want a rich colour - saw a really nice plum dress but the bridesmaids are in a purply colour and don't want to match/clash. Red is not really my colour. But blue could be good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now