Talk

Advanced search

Buying make up on the internet - any tips?

(13 Posts)
LemonDifficult Wed 29-Jun-11 17:38:57

I've been hoping to boost my makeup bag. I've had a quick look at a few websites and branded products seem a lot less than at the counter with the possiblity of experimental purple liners and glittery mascaras and so on, that I normally wouldn't go for.

Any recommendations? What should I look for and where should I go? <wallet itching>

izzybizzybuzzybees Wed 29-Jun-11 17:49:11

Ive used feelunique.com with no problems at all. Very good prices and free delivery (or it was when I used them a few weeks ago!)

Lipstickgal Thu 30-Jun-11 12:19:38

Ebay is excellent for products you love but have been discontinued. Revlon is a make-up brand that is often overlooked but I have to say that everything I have tried from it has been pretty good. The lipsticks are fabulous. The colorstay soft and smooth lipsticks are the best long lasting ones on the market. They don't dry out your lips or form an unpleasant flakey crust. However you have to get them on Ebay or other online retailers as these are discontinued. No lead in them either....

GeneralissimoVonBobbington Thu 30-Jun-11 12:23:50

Sample sizes of Clinique are always available on eBay and often not much smaller than the full size. People buy them up after bonus time and flog 'em on.

pookamoo Thu 30-Jun-11 12:25:09

I have always used www.cheapsmells.com to buy the very few products I use.
It's not a very appealing website name, but it does do very reasonably priced branded cosmetics and perfume. Hope this helps!

pookamoo Thu 30-Jun-11 12:27:08

There is a full list of their cosmetics products here.

I am clueless about makeup really, but if you can see what you need on the list, they are a very good website. They are based in Jersey, hence cheaper, but they do overnight delivery.

Peachy Thu 30-Jun-11 12:29:17

ELF (eyes lip face) website good.

Also YY to ebay and Revlon.

TrilllianAstra Thu 30-Jun-11 12:33:07

Lipstick would be difficult wouldn't it - too difficult to tell the shades apart?

Columbia999 Thu 30-Jun-11 12:36:09

I buy from Cheapsmells.com too and have never had any problems. There's another site called www.blushcosmetics.com/ which is really good, and I have a couple of suppliers on eBay that I buy from regularly. That way, I get the good stuff but not at huge prices. We also have a great market stall that has a huge array of make up, so I never have to go and pay Boots' prices!

valiumredhead Thu 30-Jun-11 13:40:06

Feelunique is a brilliant site.

mollymole Thu 30-Jun-11 13:43:21

i use cheapsmells too and have never had any problems

LemonDifficult Thu 30-Jun-11 20:07:27

Thanks, everyone. I'm still struggling a bit with not being able to squish it on the back on my hand, but I will overcome!

Columbia999 Fri 01-Jul-11 10:53:35

The trick is to try out the stuff in the expensive shops, and then you know what it's like, so buy it cheap online! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now