Talk

Advanced search

SPF moisturiser recommendations

(24 Posts)
JosieRosie Tue 28-Jun-11 13:40:44

I'm 31, have combination skin which is also sensitive and a fair/rosy complexion. I'm currently using baby lotion as a cleanser and Astral as a day moisturiser, with Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter as a nightcream. This is all working very well but I feel it's time I started using an SPF in the day time.

Any recommendations for my skin type? Could I use a thin layer of Astral plus a thin layer of SPF cream? I tend to wear a tinted moisturiser on top so this may be too much. I'm planning to start using jojoba oil at night after seeing glowing reviews on here. Any products recommendations gratefully received
TIA

monkeysmama Tue 28-Jun-11 13:47:51

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago which it's worth searching for. O use Elizabeth Arden 8Hr cream with sPF50.

JosieRosie Tue 28-Jun-11 13:53:40

Thanks monkeysmama, will do. 8hr cream too greasy for me! Clinique City Block seems to be getting thumbs up

TattyDevine Tue 28-Jun-11 13:59:02

I recently bought the City Block, I am liking it. Its SPF 40 but I wear an SPF 15 foundation so I guess the two add together to make SPF 55? grin

dirgeinvegas Tue 28-Jun-11 16:14:47

I used a Clarins one that was SPF 50 but like a thin, matte lotion that you put over normal moisturiser.

skyebluepink Tue 28-Jun-11 18:54:25

I use Neutrogena spf25. Higher SPFs and suncreams make my eyes itchy. Do you think factor 50 combined with factor 15 makes it stronger or diluted?' I've often wondered when I mix moistuizer with tinted moisture and SPFs are different.

dirgeinvegas Wed 29-Jun-11 15:36:34

No I think it just works to the level of the highest one. I'm sure I read that you don't need anything as high as spf50 in the UK for everyday wear because of our weaker sun, lack of time outdoors and the fact that we need some sunlight for Vit D etc

Assuming you're in the UK and you're not Charlie Dimmock smile

willybreeder Wed 29-Jun-11 16:39:19

I've been using the Boots Soltan Once range in factor 30. No need for moisturiser too. Remember to always put on your neck and chest too. smile

MissKittyEliza Wed 29-Jun-11 16:42:56

Got the Aldi Lacura SPF 50 for face. Not greasy..... Tried the Arden one and I looked like I'd died....it leaves a whitish hue on me. Gave it to my mum.

fayeso Wed 29-Jun-11 20:29:05

Has your mum died then....or do you not mind her looking like she has....Ha ha ha only joking....just your post reads quite funnily!!!xx

TeaOneSugar Wed 29-Jun-11 20:32:16

Another vote for city block.

strawberryjelly Wed 29-Jun-11 20:35:44

Tattty no that's not right- adding up SPFs.

The protection you get comes from the highest SPF- so if you use 40 + 30 you will still get 40.

I heard a dermo talking about this a while back.

OP a range that gets a lot of approval from drs is skinceuticles ( sp) they do an SPF 50 for about £50.

I've used Clinique City Block for about 15 years and rate it.

I use it over moisturiser and under foundation.

miniwedge Wed 29-Jun-11 22:07:36

Neals yard have a spf30 one now, it's non greasy and smells lush.

TattyDevine Wed 29-Jun-11 22:18:36

Oh that's interesting about the SPF's StrawberryJelly - I suspected as much actually, I think I had heard that somewhere grin but was optimistic!

Clure Wed 29-Jun-11 22:36:07

I use Dermalogica matte block, its spf 25, although it says matte I don't think its matte enough. I have very oily skin, its just about ok. Would like to try something else, may give the clarins one a go!

titferbrains Wed 29-Jun-11 22:42:39

I was given a sample of the Neal yard SPF moisturiser and I was very pleasantly surprised. I have dark skin but it does not leave me looking blue which is always nice. Quite rich cream, and oily creams make me a bit nervous. Worth popping in and asking for a sample. Don't bother with Liz earle, her sun creams leave me looking really blue and odd.

vanillamum Thu 30-Jun-11 00:26:30

I've just bought the Avon Regenerist factor 50 facial moisturiser. It is OK but am gutted that Aldi do one, I bet it is loads better and cheaper too!

GeneralissimoVonBobbington Thu 30-Jun-11 12:30:07

I've been using Boots Time Delay range and been very impressed. I have dry skin but I can't abide all that grease sitting in my skin with the creams made for dry skin. Nice and light and the night cream smells divine, althoug the pots are identical, so I have to go by the smell to tell them apart without my glasses on!

MissKittyEliza Thu 30-Jun-11 15:58:06

£3.99p. It's good. Use it on ds too who sensitive to usual brands, even E45.

MissKittyEliza Thu 30-Jun-11 15:58:41

The Aldi one, that is!

madmomma Thu 30-Jun-11 20:24:04

save your money and just get spf 50 for facial skin by superdrug - v v cheap, comes in ared tube. Feels fine on the skin and helps prime for make up. A make up artist told me about it - he's used it religiously for years and has skin like a baby's bum.

MissKittyEliza Fri 01-Jul-11 08:27:35

Ooooh, thanks for the Superdrug tip smile

kyacat Fri 01-Jul-11 09:41:25

MissKittyEliza is the Aldi one good under make up?

MissKittyEliza Fri 01-Jul-11 09:56:20

It's not greasy but there is that very slight pallor to it. I guess it's unavoidable with such a high SPF, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now