Talk

Advanced search

30th Birthday coming up and have no idea what to ask for!

(13 Posts)
Orbinator Tue 28-Jun-11 10:49:37

Hi guys! I'm looking for suggestions for birthday presents - people keep asking what I'd like and tbh I've been focusing so much on my pg (due mid July) that I haven't actually any idea what to ask for! As it's my 30th I'd like something that will last. No ideas at all really other than a bread maker (which makes me feel a bit 1950's housewife, but am curious) or a chunky silver necklace tat I can wear continuously (watched Cherry Healy's BFing prog and want her necklace really - even emailed to ask where it was from but no reply sad )

So, any suggestions or things that you have maybe received and loved to bits, things you'd not be able to live without, etc? Thanks in advance grin

iWILLdothis Tue 28-Jun-11 13:11:02

Hi.I'm in a similar boat to you, but birthday not til April. Also pg, by the way, due Oct. DH asked me the other week what I want. I'm kinda tied though, through guilt, to get smthg that he can benefit from also. His 30th was last yr and he got a coffee machine he wanted....but I benefit from it every day too;). So now I feel that he needs to benefit from my 30th present. So I suggested a weekend away together minus the kids, perhaps a spa break. Would you consider smthg like that, or does it have to be something lasting iykwim? Whatever you do, DON'T ASK FOR A BREAD MACHINE! That's more something for the house (different from a coffee machine IMO) and involves work! All my and his family clubbed together for the coffee machine and I'm guessing same will happen for my present....could your family also club together to make it something more substantial for you? How about a new leather handbag or money for you to spend on new clothes (seeing as you posted on S&B!)

madammecholet Tue 28-Jun-11 13:26:27

I had a necklace made for me for my 30th. Imagine the loops of a Links sweetie bracelet, but much smaller loops. I went for an 2 inchs of white gold, then a few gold ones. So the overall effect is two tone. I then had a locket which my gran left me, which was her grans, 200+ yrs old and i put that on it. It sits in the hollow of my throat so not a long one. It looks gorgeous and means so much to me....

like this but much smaller loops in 2 tone

If you have a jeweller nearby get them to make you something. Mine was a joint purchase from my dad & husband...

Orbinator Tue 28-Jun-11 13:33:20

Yes, I think I prefer the idea of jewellery (prob why I instinctively posted in here tbh!). I think I would rather it was lasting. Just not quite sure how much £ would be behind it so it's a toughie to ask for...maybe I'll have a peek in the jewellry shops later today smile

Can't think of anything else that I will keep hold of and use...

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 28-Jun-11 14:08:27

I had a panasonic breadmaker for my 30th actually, but I had a pink sapphire pear cut ring for my 31st.

<goes off to make sundried tomato foccicia>.

How about an eternity ring? I saw some on the internet the other day for £600 but it was a one carat ring.

thesmartestgiantintown Tue 28-Jun-11 14:39:40

i was 30 in may. i got some lovely presents, a necklace from my sister, a ring from my bf and a spa day from my best friend.

sweetheart Tue 28-Jun-11 16:01:32

I turned 30 this year and loved some of my presents which were:-

a colour consultation - the lessons learnt should last me forever and make me look lots better

a bottle of 1981 wine in a gift box. I'm sooo looking forward to drinking that
a cookery class at a local farmers market - I asked for it because although I'm a pretty ok cook I'm rubbish at deserts

a beautiful pair of pearl earings which I feel make me more sophisticated in my 30's and have been worn almost every day since.

a driving expereince, I recently also brought the same for dh and a friend got one for his birthday so we are all going together. It might not be something to keep forever but I'm pretty sure it will be a day of amazing memories to last a lifetime.

my sisters brought me theatre tickets and we had a lovely day in london which I will always look back on with fond memories

I also got a signed McLaren cap which is not most peoples cup of tea but to me was AMAZING and will be treasured forever!

SootySweepandSue Tue 28-Jun-11 16:04:49

Wow sweetheart you did well. Can't even recall what I got.

You could always get a kitten? They're for life though remember wink

sweetheart Tue 28-Jun-11 16:06:14

yes I was a very lucky girl - most of them were combination presents from family, friends and team mates.

archanat10 Tue 28-Jun-11 17:07:12

hey my sister just turned 30.i gifted her a trip to spain since holiday season you could get yourself a really good trip.i would say nothing better than an exotic trip,relaxation and could be good change.you could cherish this all time.

Orbinator Tue 28-Jun-11 23:30:30

Wow Sweetheart - I'm slightly envy at all of your gifts. Think I'll prob just get the one tbh as my dad doesn't believe in birthdays/Xmas.

Like the idea of a holiday too, but not sure about baby passports yet - my birthday is early July and baby is due mid July...bit tricky but I guess I could save it for January or something when the winter blues hit smile

The rings sound lovely. Again, really unsure of the price range. I've been given a week to find something...anything and let him know!!!

archanat10 Wed 29-Jun-11 10:14:30

why dont you try out ernest jones.their gold rings starts from £75 -£750 and with the help of pouring pounds you could get a cashback around £7-£78 respectively.i think investing in gold is always a good choice.

polyhymnia Wed 29-Jun-11 10:23:54

- special jewellery - people's tastes vary so much, you'll know best what's special to you ( but some of the pieces on the MN recommended Alex Monroe website do look lovely)
- a colour consultation
- cut and perhaps colour at a really good salon
- short break at a fabulous hotel, close to home if now or further away early next year, as you suggest
- special edition of a loved book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now