Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know how to rag hair the old fashioned way?

(11 Posts)
madmomma Mon 27-Jun-11 22:06:33

My Nana used to rag my babyfine long straight hair when I was little, but I can't remember how she used to do it. The curl used to stay in for 3 days and I'd love to be able to do it. Can anyone (or anyone's Gran) remember how it's done?

TattyDevine Mon 27-Jun-11 22:13:55

Yes, you hold a rag to the root, wind the hair round in a spiral down one side of the rag, tie the two ends together. I'll find a youtube video hold on a tick.

Chipotle Mon 27-Jun-11 22:18:11

You need Curlformers! Curlformers are fab. There's a load if you tube videos out there.. Look at the recent ones from pixi2woo.

TattyDevine Mon 27-Jun-11 22:19:05

Okay, she does it differently to how I did but try this video

Gah, these people like to bang on. Most of them rabbit on for at least 2 and a half minutes before actually doing the technique. We don't care what hair spray you use and we don't want to watch you section off your hair! Feck.

<<vows to record concise video on hair ragging>>

TattyDevine Mon 27-Jun-11 22:20:54

Oh wow they look great Chipotle. Can you sleep in them?

They look kinda cool on actually! (if you work in chidren's television, anyway)...

Tortoise Mon 27-Jun-11 22:25:58

I use a strip of rag, put end of a section of hair on the middle of the rag and roll it up to the scalp then tie the 2 ends together. Takes ages to do but DDs love it.

Chipotle Mon 27-Jun-11 22:26:29

Yes you can sleep in them. I have the extra long, wide ones. My DH finds them quite unattractive, my DS finds them hilarious but hey ho! My hair takes forever to dry though so when I use them I blast them with the hairdryer in the morning before I take them out.

DoubleDegreeStudent Tue 28-Jun-11 10:05:10

My friends and I went through a phase of doing this at sleepovers when we were about 12 and we did the same method as Tortoise - if a group of hyper 12 years olds can do it and get it to work it must be fairly foolproof!

We just got an old t shirt, chopped it into strips, cut a split in the centre and then ragged away!

TobyLerone Tue 28-Jun-11 10:11:15

This is how I did all the kids' hair for my sister's wedding. They had gorgeous ringlets smile

Something else that works really well is getting a whole load of those tiny towelling hairbands and make lots of tiny little buns with damp hair. Leave it to dry and voila! Curls!

madmomma Tue 28-Jun-11 22:42:39

Oh that's brilliant, thanks very much guys; I'll get busy smile

queenmaeve Wed 29-Jun-11 11:29:41

The best thing for rags is old nylon tights with the top and toes cut off. My mum used to do ours with these, it brings back memories of Saturday night getting those in. The way I do it is
1. Put a long strip right over the head(get them to hold it)
2. Starting from half way along the strip wrap the hair around the rag.
3. Then take over the top bit and wrap that over the hair
4. Tie two ends of rag at the bottom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now