Talk

Advanced search

Lipstick colours for Bright/Clear Springs

(22 Posts)
Lipstickgal Mon 27-Jun-11 20:46:08

This has to be the hardest colour grouping to get right. I look shocking in pinks and browns or anything nude. Orange is grim. I think my current shades are too dark. I don't like the CMB formulations and am looking for a knock out lipstick that isn't reminiscent of an eighties estate agent.

TattyDevine Mon 27-Jun-11 20:59:31

Ah.

I have just been diagnosed as a Bright Spring (saw you on my thread I think)

I bought a nice lip gloss today - its a Loreal Glamshine fresh in Fresh Grenadine. Its a pinky corally job. Might be too pink for you but its neither pure pink nor coral so might be worth slapping some on in boots and seeing how you go.

Fine for summer, but I do wonder about winter because a lot of the shades we suit do seem to be "splashy" and reminicent of, well, Spring!!!

If you don't suit pink, hate orange, and can't do brown/nude, that leaves red. Have you found your perfect red yet? My best red was "Brick" of the House of Colour range, on Saturday during my draping, available here though I'd imagine you don't want to buy blind.

But that might be the answer - finding your best red and just going all or nothing.

Have you seen the Facebook discussions on 12 blueprints? Can't remember if it was you who mentioned that page on my thread, apologies if it was, and apologies to the person who did if it wasn't, as I can't remember who it was. I haven't had a chance to devour it and jot down all their recomendations to try (they are mostly Mac I think so easily to get, though sometimes they mention a Covergirl one which isn't) so that might be worth a look.

But I've lots of shopping and testing to do so each time I find something I like, I will bump this page and tell all! grin

TattyDevine Mon 27-Jun-11 21:19:33

Here are some possibilies apparently, so these are ones I will try shortly, and report back:

Clinique All Heart, Ginger Flower, Watermelon, Clinique Chubby Stick in Chunky Cherry
Estee Lauder Gloss Stick in Summer Melon, Pop Pink and (not sure if this is Gloss Stick or another formula) Fresh Berry
Estee Lauder Pure Colour Long Last in Lotus Pink (light), Wild Rose, Raspberry Pop, Nectarine, Chelsea Rose, Apricot Sun, Spiced Coral
GOSH Passion Pink
Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Rhubarb
Rimmel Moisture Renew in Coral Shimmer
MAC ladybug, and Lady Danger
Revlon Superlustrous: Kiss Me Coral, Ravish Me Red, Firecracker
Revlon Colorburst: Coral, Papaya
Revlon Matte Strawberry Suede
Maybelline Moisture Renew (purple tube) Coral Shimmer

There is a blush called MAC Fleur Power which they all keep banging on about so I best try that too.

Some of these will be Coral/Orange/Pink etc but if I find one that doesn't seem to match your horror stories I will definitely let you know. Some of those more red sounding shades might be the biz for you.

Lipstickgal Mon 27-Jun-11 21:50:35

Thank you for so much information. Oooh am going to get stuck in. I love brick colours but they are hard to come by. My favourite lipstick for winter is Revlon colorstay soft and smooth in smoothest wine -330. I have to buy this online as it is discont. It is a really rich brick colour but a bit heavy for summer. Thanks again for input.

moragbellingham Mon 27-Jun-11 22:06:19

Have you seen MAC Viva Glam Cyndi?

Parisian red butter shine is my perfect red by Clinique (thanks Kittens).

Am printing off Tatty's list for a good look next time I'm shopping thoughwink

alemci Mon 27-Jun-11 22:13:38

also I wear clinique pink godess which is flattering as does my dd who has dark hair and green eyes.

moragbellingham Mon 27-Jun-11 22:35:42

Ooh me too with the Pink Goddess (though it sometimes looks like I'm not wearing any lipstick with it) & Raspberry Rush.

mittenkitten Mon 27-Jun-11 22:45:36

Have you seen what the makeup fangirls call those lipsticks that look like you're not wearing any lipstick? MLBB -- "my lips but better"!

ellangirl Tue 28-Jun-11 08:18:57

coral pink by bobbi brown?

TattyDevine Tue 28-Jun-11 08:28:10

I have to say I am also struggling a bit with the bright coral/pink theme, despite the summery weather. I put on some of House of Colour's coralish one (I can't remember its name - Coral probably!) which I blotted and applied yesterday's new lipgloss over the top of, and I didn't really like it until I half wiped it off with a Huggies wipe in order to eat my jam toast. Now its barely there I like it!

What I need is a lipstick that is muted enough that it goes on like that. It is actually a shade intenser than my natural lips (my lips but better!) and I need to find that in a velvet finish non sparkly version that goes on "easy" to apply like this has faded to.

The hunt begins! I reckon MAC will have something but they nearly called the police last time I was there I think as I was loitering and fiddling about with their stock for way too long! Finally found something and it was out of stock grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TattyDevine Tue 28-Jun-11 08:29:28

Actually I'm struggling a bit with the bright lips thing full stop, as I like to do my eyes a fair bit and I'm in grave danger of mutton or actually slutton...

BadPoet Tue 28-Jun-11 09:20:18

I'm bright, clear and warm (CMB a couple of years ago) - is that the same thing? Pale, freckly, blue eyes, dark hair. Anyway, currently I love:

Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Rhubarb
Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Monte Carlo (sheer red with a bit of shimmer)
Lanolips in Apple
Korres lip butter - watermelon I think.
I also have a couple of EA 8 hr tinted balms, a berry one and a corally one - the shades have worn off long ago!

I use Burts Bees pomegranate lip balm all the time, I think it does give a hint of colour.

The theme here is that they are all sheer lipstick or tinted balm rather than full on lippie, which I have never felt I can pull off.

QueenJulian Tue 28-Jun-11 10:29:24

TattyD - does that facebook page have recommendations for non-Springs? I'm cool, clear and deep (probably makes me a Winter?) - have blue eyes, darkish brown hair and pale skin, well pale and red <cries>. I find it really difficult to find a lipstick that flatters me!

mittenkitten Tue 28-Jun-11 10:46:10

Here is the 12 Blueprints FB page discussion board . . . mostly about makeup for every season!
12 Blueprints

A lot of people seem to swear by Elea Blake custom blended colours for the 12 seasons, although I am not sure how much shipping here would cost.

QueenJulian Tue 28-Jun-11 10:56:14

Thanks mittenkitten. I'm a bit confused now as I don't know if I'm a dark winter or a bright winter! Had mine done by CMB. I'll have a read through and see if I can figure it out.

Lipstickgal Tue 28-Jun-11 11:29:00

Right having looked through the disgraceful amount of lipsticks I have, out of around forty,three are good. So in the spirit of nothing ventured etc I have ordered a colorstay sheer coral. Am thinking of trying the Clinique All Heart one and it says it stays on. Is this really the case? I can't abide slippery lipstick which slides off your mouth bleeding into a charming cats bum- like look. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for all the tips everyone- you are marvellous.

mittenkitten Tue 28-Jun-11 12:04:03

This page 12 seasons is really interesting in that it gives examples of real-life people in the 12 seasonal categories -- plus PART of each palette. You can see if you think you look more like DW or BW there . . . although you might not be a winter at all (sez the woman who just found out she's a spring!!)

Havingkittens Tue 28-Jun-11 12:25:42

Glad you liked it MoragBellingham - and relieved you've not lived up to your name by favouring walnut brown lipstick.

I'm afraid I know nothing about CMB's colour references so won't be much help on this thread! When I used to work in MAC years ago we were always baffled by people who came in saying "I'm Winter". I also think there is a lot to be said for asking advice from the artists on the counters. Obviously not the orange tideline/slapped cheek looking ones as they are 'sales ladies' rather than make up artist. The ones on the artist brand counters will give you advice on what shades will suit you. If they recommend something that you have been told to steer clear of by the person who 'did you colours' don't write it off before trying it as make up artist also have an eye for what suits and we don't seem to always agree.

Anyone who's looking for a nice subtle coral, MAC's Crosswires is very nice and I've not had a problem with it bleeding. A couple of my "My lips but better" recommendations are Rose (Saint) by Lipstick Queen and recently discovered and am really impressed with it, Rhubarb Tinted Lipbalm by Burts Bees (doesn't bleed, moisturises, and colour stays on for ages which is more than I can say for a lot of tinted lip balms!).

A nice muted, but brightish coral in a velvet finish is Rimmel's "Be Bold" which I rather like applied sheerly. I have a little of it on my cheeks too as a blush. Not dissimilar in shade to Fleur Power blush as mentioned above by Tatty. Incidentally if you want something in a similar shade to Fleur Power but more glowy & summery, try MAC's Cream Colour Base in Fabulush.

QueenJulian Tue 28-Jun-11 12:41:44

Going by those photos I'm a BW, mitten. I'll go and see what lipsticks they recommend now.

TattyDevine Tue 05-Jul-11 11:20:51

Been shopping this morning.

Have purchased MAC Crosswires. Its brilliant - it goes on less fluro than the HOC lipsticks that I have, its almost a "my lips but better" lipstick, but strictly speaking its a "my lips but brighter" - but not bright in an 80's estate agenty way. It might look that way on a very tanned person, but I am fairly pale. Its definitely my new favourite lipstick, and is surprisingly natural on. It is way less scary than it looks in the tube.

I have also bought a Cha Cha tint from Benefit. I'm not a massive fan of Benefit who I find a bit gimmicky and overpriced, but I painted a bit of this on my hand and it was a beautiful pure coral colour, neither pink or orange (though probably on the oranger side of things) and dabbed a little on my cheek and my face came alive. So I had to have that as I have been struggling with blush that isn't either too bright or obvious in a powdery kind of way, or to shiny or shimmery in a cream kind of way, and I have been happy enough with my MAC Fabublush and Ladyblush (I think its called) but they seem to need such careful application. This stain looks clear and pure and natural, like I've just shagged the gardener and nearly got caught. Stays on ridiculously well in that I tried to get it off my hand with some Clinique erase the day oily remover stuff and it hasn't budged! So softly softly. Go try it. It will last ages, you only need a tiny bit.

The last thing I bought was a brown eyeliner in Teddy from MAC - I think its the Kohliner or something, but I've been loving my Bobbi Brown Gel liner in Chocolate Shimmer, but wanted a pencil that basically does the same thing because I'm a bit lazy in the mornings and my eyes are a little bleary to be faffing with liquid and a brush so a pencil is great. This pencil does basically exactly the same thing in colour tone and depth but is a pencil. That's probably more of a Brown Eyes tip than a Bright Spring tip, but I thought I'd mention it for any brown eyed bright springs that might be reading.

I'm on email alert for a Clinique Chubby Stick in Chunky Cherry so will update when I order that and it arrives. I have also ordered a Burts Bees lip shimmer in Rhubarb, after hearing many rave reviews from Bright Springs, so will also update on that when it arrives. Buying blind here but for £4 for the Burts Bees, its pretty low risk.

TattyDevine Wed 13-Jul-11 17:05:29

Another update.

Burts Bees is so/so, its okay, but not my "my lips but better" colour at all but its a lovely lip balm and better than no colour, if that makes sense. Its also a good "base" for one of the brighter colours, adding a little depth before putting on something light and bright.

But I had to report that I have bought two lovely nail colours that are textbook Bright/Clear spring. Both by Leighton Denny, one is called "Lolly Pop" and one is called "Juicy Fruity". The Lolly pop one is a flamingo pink, sort of that slightly orangey pink but not quite coral. Very summmery, and lovely. The Juicy Fruity one is more orange than pink, but still on the coral side of tangerine, and is slighly metallic (for want of a better word - its not normal gloss but has the sparkles in it, but small sparkles)

Have ordered my Chubby stick which has come back into stock so that should be waiting for me when I get back from Centreparcs (my life is so rock n roll)

x

TattyDevine Sat 16-Jul-11 15:25:58

Quite like the Chubby Stick in Chunky Cherry but I think my best lip colour thus far is Crosswires.

I had another find by the way which I thought I would mention on here because Bright Springs are more likely to read it - we were talking on another thread how hard it is to find various trousers for Bright Springs and I was saying how I like bumming around the house in a yoga pant style thing but they are always black or plum. Well, I found these today in Marks, they look really bog standard grey marl in the photo but in the flesh they are that proper slightly silvery "warm grey" or dove grey that they say we should wear - I had my swatch wallet with me and the grey matches exactly that of the one in my swatch wallet. What is really strange is that I'm wearing a bubblegum pink pashmina (its one of my best colours vile as it sounds) and it looks incredibly good against the grey - so this really is a "spring" grey. I'm starting to believe them when they say just buy pieces in the right colours, don't try and put them together or match them as they will all come together. These trousers actually do go with all my spring coloured tops in a really good way!

They don't look much in the photo but the colour is much better in real life, its a proper clear/bright spring grey and the cut and shape is somehow better...that model doesn't do them justice at all. And at £9.50 WTF?!? I'm wearing them now and they look about £55 from Sweatty Betty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now