Talk

Advanced search

Help...fake tan hell!!

(20 Posts)
LittlebearH Sun 26-Jun-11 19:57:55

Have splashed out on a tube of St Tropez wash off fake tan. It is shite. The colour looks on orangey on my white/corned beef legs and is dotty where I have shaved my legs prior.

Every year I vow never to try again. I thought I would do better with a wash off one as I can see where I am putting it. Have tried L'oreal spray on one but that was an absolute disaster.

I know and do all the things like exfoliate etc.

I am very pale with dark hair (people tell me how white I am, FFS as if I dont know)

Seriously, can anyone recommend a decent one that works??

I am too body consious to go to a salon........

emsyj Sun 26-Jun-11 20:06:37

If you want a wash-off one, the Rimmel Sunshimmer one in Light Shimmer (not the matte one, almost impossible to blend the matte variety) is easy to apply and stays put til you wash it off. You would think the shimmer would look garish and glittery, but actually it is rather nice for a night out and helps make it look even.

If you want a wear-off one, I like either Lancome Flash Bronze or Boots No.7 spray (aerosol spray). The Lancome one you have to spritz and then immediately blend with e.g. a velvotan mitt. A light application should be enough. It dries very quickly. The Boots one gives a lovely natural colour after about 3 sessions of light misting.

Have you thought about trying a body lotion with a hint of fake tan instead?

LittlebearH Sun 26-Jun-11 20:15:17

Not tried Lancome. The Boots sunshimmer wasnt too bad, but still a bit orangey on me.

Johnsons Holiday skin was good when I had some colour already (from sunbeds - gave these up when I got pregnant) but looks streaky on my white limbs.

With the sprays you recommend...is it easy to get it even? With the L'oreal one, I majorly (is that a word?!) missed the underside of my arms, when I attempted it again to correct it, my arms looked waaaaaaay too dark and patchy.

Maybe I am incompetant?? grin
(I am good with all other aspects of my hair and make up though)

Mumelie Sun 26-Jun-11 20:17:13

I second the Rimmel Sunshimer wash off fake tan, its brilliant.

ednurse Sun 26-Jun-11 20:19:46

My fave wash off is actually the Primark one! It smells lovely and goes on and looks better than most I've tried. The trick is to apply with a fake tan mitt.

emsyj Sun 26-Jun-11 20:22:07

I think the Boots No7 (NB the No7, not the No17 - never tried the No17 one) one is easier to get even as it is a bit 'wetter' IYSWIM. The Lancome is quite a dry spray. It will be hard to get it even at a 'second attempt' as you will inevitably go over some bits that you've already covered, so you get patches.

I would recommend you get the Velvotan mitt (or an equivalent - think you can get other brands of them but google Velvotan to see what I mean). Then spray yourself til you're quite wet and blend with the mitt. Do a part at a time. Left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, belly & boobs, back & bum used to work for me. Just wipe the mitt over your face to get a bit of colour.

Keep blending til it's all rubbed in and try not to miss any bits! Wipe once over the back of each hand once the rest of your body is done. Let it dry completely before you get dressed/go to bed. Put a little bit of moisturiser on your elbows before you start. Don't spray directly on your feet, spray onto the mitt and wipe once.

Bit of an essay, sorry, but hope it helps!!!

LittlebearH Sun 26-Jun-11 20:22:55

I am wondering if a mitt would help..I have been using disposable latex gloves.

BlackSwan Sun 26-Jun-11 20:23:04

Try the daily tanner from St Tropez - the one for face - you only need a little - but use it on your legs instead of your face...

emsyj Sun 26-Jun-11 20:23:39

Oh goodness me, you'll never get an even finish with latex gloves!!!!

<faints in horror>

LittlebearH Sun 26-Jun-11 20:29:30

grin emsy!!

Ok, maybe I should not give up yet,and get a mitt.

<googles Velvotan>

emsyj Sun 26-Jun-11 20:35:26

I think the latex gloves are good for the real deal St Tropez stuff as there is no requirement for even application - you just slap it on til you look like you've had a mud bath (without rubbing it in at all, just smooth on) and the gloves are perfect for that sort of application, but for all other fake tans where evenness and blending are key, you really need a mitt.

Shell178 Sun 26-Jun-11 20:46:21

LittlebearH, I have the same problem of trying to find a tan that doesn't streak as I am SO white.

I use the Dove moisturising tan, I put it on exactly the same as I would a moisturiser and it works fine for me. Sometimes it takes really well and I can get my legs out the next morning, but most times it is after the second application that I get the colour I want.

For a last minute tan where I haven't applied the Dove I use Rimmel Wash Off tan but I prefer the Matt one, not shimmer. I have never had the problem of a streaky finish as you just rub it in.

It really is a case of trying them all until you find the one that suits your skin.

Good Luck!

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 26-Jun-11 20:51:12

I like vita libereta (get it in boots) as it comes in different depths - so I have the lightest one. I think its more golden than orange and prefer it to St Tropez.

Get a mitt and do a light layer one night and top up if necessary the next night.

Like pretty much everything practice makes perfect.

OneHelluvaBroad Sun 26-Jun-11 20:51:52

I use Clinique Self Sun Light (proper fake tan) and then if I want to boost it (it's quite a light fake tan) I use Sally Hansen 'spray on legs' mixed with moisturiser to thin it out (think 'tinted moisturiser for the whole body' rather than 'fake tan'; washes off, btw). Took a bit of practice to get the application right, but now I've mastered it I am addicted. It take the glare off limbs in particular wink.

Clarabumps Sun 26-Jun-11 20:59:08

Famous Daves Fake tan mousse! its a crap name but its the best fake tan i've found, you can also get it in a fair skin colour but the normal one works for me (i have brown hair and average complexion) use it with a fake tan mitt and it dries superfast! I love love love it! you wont be disappointed. I dont rate st tropez at all. famous daves is the only one i've found that comes off evenly too- the rest all leave me looking as though i have some sort of skin disease.

PeppaPigandGeorge Sun 26-Jun-11 21:11:01

Another vote for rimmell, though I found the matte one fine! I am also v pale so bought the palest tan that they did.

HappyAsIAm Mon 27-Jun-11 15:04:51

For a wash off, the make believe fake tan from boots is great, I think. I am useless at applying things like this, so I would only ever try a wash off. It is easy to apply, I have no streaks, and the light to medium gives a subtle colour on my white legs.

As it is wash off, it does come off when it comes into contact with any water at all, so be careful!

ivykaty44 Mon 27-Jun-11 15:07:33

Don't do it, white is beautiful smile

Go to the middle east and pick up some of their whitening creams smile they think white skin is lovely

applechutney Mon 27-Jun-11 22:51:11

Well my vote goes to lancome flash bronzer. Don't use the spray, use the gel. Very easy to apply and looks really natural.

PinotsKittens Tue 28-Jun-11 09:45:49

THIS! I have recommended this fake tan lots on MN and IMHO for a natural look on white skin, this is the best. It is pricey but I've had mine 4 months and about half gone now so lasts ages as it's concentrated.

It is NOT orange, it doesn't smell and I've never ever had a streak - and I'm a celtic blue skinned ginger so I just have to look at a fake tan for it to go wrong. I found it on a blog and it's the only one I'll use now - even the lightest St Tropez/Fake Bake ones are too orangey for me.

1 application for a light tan, 2 for a more noticeable tan. Lasts a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now