Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I Have No Tops

(15 Posts)
MayorNaze Sun 26-Jun-11 15:07:52

what does one wear in summer that isn't a vest top?

help sad

cybboid Sun 26-Jun-11 15:09:31

A floaty peasanty short sleeve blousey affair?

Macaroona Sun 26-Jun-11 15:11:09

Lots of nice floaty white tops in Next and Zara.

MayorNaze Sun 26-Jun-11 15:20:12

floaty peasanty thing. ok. linkus pleasus.

have been staring at all and sundry out and about but they are either 17 and wearing micro flowery skirts or playsuits (no way hose) or wearing tracky 3/4 lengths and vests sad

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sun 26-Jun-11 16:38:27

Wear dresses!

I love floaty white tops but I look crap in them, so will watch this thread weith interest...

mittenkitten Sun 26-Jun-11 18:42:56

Blouses made of woven fabrics (cotton and rayon both breathe) are always cooler than Ts and other things in knit / jersey fabrics.

If there are good Indian shops near you you can find the most gorgeous kurtas (tunics) for not much money . . . good for casual wear but check that they are cotton and not polyester georgette.

I also look crap in white so can never work that languid Edwardian-slash- dissipated punting in Oxford in the 1930s type look, which makes me angry.

totallylost Sun 26-Jun-11 18:44:15

I can never keep clean lol

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sun 26-Jun-11 18:47:27

Exactly, Kitten. I aspire to a 1970s Timotei ad crossed with a Plumo catalogue but I just look like a pale, matronly blob.

For those who can wear white tops (I hate you, I hate you, I hate you smile), The White Company tend to have some very pretty cotton ones.

MayorNaze Sun 26-Jun-11 18:54:03

frocks are good

but i worry about Showing My Knicks

white is not really moi either sad

Macaroona Sun 26-Jun-11 19:14:33

Ok, my holy grail is a floaty white top that I don't need to iron and isn't too voluminous.

Would this need ironing do you think? Also, will it shrink away to nothing? Haven't bought from White Company before.

mittenkitten Sun 26-Jun-11 19:19:43

Bwa ha ha , CBBG . . .

like this

or

this

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sun 26-Jun-11 19:21:07

I think it would need ironing tbh, though I don't think it would shrink. It's likely to be huge too, so if you do try it on, size down.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sun 26-Jun-11 19:21:52

Love that hair! smile

Macaroona Sun 26-Jun-11 19:28:28

I have a lovely cap-sleeved flimsy white cotton tunicy thing from MK One that I've worn for about 9 years. It doesn't shrink or need ironing, ergo I think cheapo shops may be the way forward.

Farrah looks ace in that pic!

glassescase Sun 26-Jun-11 22:09:41

some nice linen tops in monsoon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: