Talk

Advanced search

Invisalign

(7 Posts)
MissFoodie Sun 26-Jun-11 10:57:49

Has anyone had invisalign braces and if so, on top only?
Am debating taking the plunge but put off by cost and duration....!

strawberryjelly Sun 26-Jun-11 12:45:49

I'm like you. Had a consultation and moulds done and was quoted £3K and 18 months.

I was told that my case was moderate to severe [ sad]

I didn't go ahead due to cost and time commitment- needing to go to same dentist for almost 2 years and a relocation was not out of the question for me.

I was also put off by the fact that your speech can be affected with the braces in.

My own dentist who referred me to the orthodentist actualy prefers tradtional braces. she says you get longer results.

If i do go ahead ever then i think I'd see if i could have braces behind my teeth.

wellwisher Sun 26-Jun-11 13:42:31

I've had invisalign - top and bottom. Got good results but my teeth started trying to move back again the second I finished the process. My dentist told me the only way to keep them in place is to wear retainers top and bottom for the rest of my life! The alternative solution (which I went for) is to have a wire fixed along the backs of your teeth to stop them moving, but this is a bit of a pain as it means you can't floss properly and they don't last - mine break about once a year on average. Also, the wires don't go around to the side teeth, so those have moved quite a lot. I finished Invisalign about 5 years ago and I'm now looking at getting further orthodontic work done.

MissFoodie Sun 26-Jun-11 13:49:11

wellwisher, did you try just wearing the retainer at night?
are you considering traditional braces now then?
and did you have any teeth removed? my problem is overcrowding, not helped by grinding my teeth at night....

strawberryjelly Sun 26-Jun-11 13:57:39

That's really interesting- the reason my dentist siad she didn't rate Invisalign was that they moved teeth quickly and they moved bac k quickly.

I have over crowding and would possibly need a tooth removed which i don't fancy.

wellwisher Sun 26-Jun-11 14:12:48

It wasn't that quick, I think I had the braces nearly 3 years in total sad

Didn't try the night-time retainer - couldn't face any more braces. And didn't have teeth removed, but did have some of them filed down at the sides to create gaps, which were then gradually closed up by my Invisalign braces.

PeppaPigandGeorge Sun 26-Jun-11 14:16:40

wellwisher - what did the retaining wire feel like? Could you see it? I think I could cope with replacement every year if it felt OK when it was on. I am considering invialign as my bottom teeth, which were straightened by extraction and then traditional braces when I was a teenager, have started to crowd. What other orthodontic work are you considering - any clever solutions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now