Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend some basic skincare products..

(12 Posts)
Mummalish Sun 26-Jun-11 08:16:12

I am bad, I am a soap and water gal, not done any harm, but know I must invest in some decent skincare.

Am clueless, want something that will last ages, and not thousands of different pots of stuff, what do you suggest?

Bunbaker Sun 26-Jun-11 08:32:00

Moisturiser with a minimum SPF15 is an absolute must.

I have worn moisturiser since I was a teenager and am now 52, but look a lot younger. I'm not convinced you need loads of skincare products, but if you can only buy one product buy the moisturiser. It doesn't have to be expensive either. I also use a soapless face wash because soap dries my skin out too much, and an inexpensive cleansing lotion for when I wear make up. I don't have sensitive skin and any product suits me so I just get the cheapest. I exfoliate once a week as well, again with an inexpensive product.

Poodlehorse Sun 26-Jun-11 09:26:42

Cetaphil for a brilliant cheap as chips cleanser that is gentle but works. I buy mine in Costco by the vat. I find my skin doesn't need as much moisturiser since I started using this.

snailsontour Sun 26-Jun-11 10:37:48

The most important bit is a good spf - protect your skin from the sun and you will reap the benefits for ever...

What you then chose will come down to how deep your pockets are, and what suits your skin.

I'm a bit stumped when you say you want something that will last ages - most potions last roughly the same time as they come in say 30ml pots. Once opened they deteriorate so need using and not keeping - the bumpf on the pot will tell you how long you have once open.

How many different things you use will depend upon what suits you - there are no rules. Serums are good to target specific issues, but not an absolute requirement, as I said - the spf is the most important thing.

There are so many good ranges out there, and I would suggest a trip to the beauty counters would be a good start to pick up some samples.

MissFoodie Sun 26-Jun-11 10:50:37

depends on your budget really - but absolute basics should be:
- cleanser (creamy or oil based one for both face and eyes that removes eye make up, eg. no need for separate eye make up remover)
- moisturiser (with or without spf that you can use as day cream and also round your eyes, no need for separate eye cream)
- face oil (that you can use at night, if not every night then at least 2-3 times a week)

not sure what you're into but my blog can give you some ideas if need be - I review products, only natural though, all prices from £10 to £80!
www.yumetc.blogspot.com

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 26-Jun-11 10:58:17

I was always a bit sceptical (sp??) about creams because I have polycystic ovary syndrome so I always had oily blemish prone skin no matter what I used (Chanel, dermalogica, clinique, guinot, decleor, givenchy, clearasil hang your heads in SHAME).

Then I saw everyone raving about liz earle on here and thought well it can't hurt to try it.

My skin is now soft, the spots are healing and not coming back! Even the little pock marks I had from when my milk allergy started on my face 6 years ago seem less noticeable.

The best bit is that it lasts for ages.

I use hot cleanse and polish, the toner, the moisturiser for combi skin, and the deep cleansing mask.

But there's other people on here who think it's all hooey.

MissFoodie Sun 26-Jun-11 11:06:02

the cleanser is v good, and also the superskin serum, I didn't get on with her creams but the products are all v good, they also do a test kit with lots of sample sizes so you can try everything first.

strawberryjelly Sun 26-Jun-11 12:40:19

I mix and match.

I buy expensive moisturisers- Clinique Youth Surge at £40 ish, and REN frrankinsence night cream, £35, but I also use quite cheap cleansers- currently using L'Oreal cleansing lotion for mature skin and their eye make up remover- both are IMO as good as Clinique and more expensive brands and cost a round £4 each.

Don't bother with toner- just cleanse twice if needed, rinse with warm water and pat dry with cotton wool.

I've also used Clinique City Block daily for over 20 years with an SPF 25 or 40, under foundation. Not boasting but I'm 50+ and have no wrinkes- am sure that keeping the sun off my face helps.

If you are looking at low to mid price brands, then Boots No 7, L'oreal , Olay and even Tescos own are good.

You need a cleansing lotion, moisturiser, and maybe a facial scrub as basics.

gregssausageroll Sun 26-Jun-11 14:10:36

If you are just starting out and are used to soap and water then I'd stick with a facial wash rather than a milk/cream cleanser. I use Liz Earle's products. Not expensive and if you buy from QVC you can return within 30 days of you don't like it.

Wash off cleanser, toner and a moisturiser.

QuinnFabray Sun 26-Jun-11 16:58:27

Cetaphil is really good.

Bunbaker Sun 26-Jun-11 17:26:24

I don't think that toner is necessary. If I wear make up I just use a cleanser and a face wash.

Unless you have really sensitive skin it isn't necessary to buy expensive cleansers and face washes because they don't stay on your skin. If you want to push the boat out then spend it on moisturiser.

I haven't recommended any specific brands because I have very even tempered skin and have used: Virgin Vie, Bodyshop vitamin E products, l'Oreal, Boots no 7, Olay, Johnsons, Simple, Tesco own brand and Garnier all with equally good results.

strawberryjelly Sun 26-Jun-11 17:55:12

Agree that toners are a waste of money- they are just a marketing ploy. all they do is remove any excess cleaner. you get the same results with warm water and cotton wool.

I use make up daily and simply remove with cleansing lotion- use it twice- then warm water splash and cotton wool wipe over.

I agree that expensive cleaners are a waste of money- they are on your face for seconds. as long as they aren't harsh and strip skin of moisture most are pretty much the same. I have quite sensitive skin and used to have facial eczema so then I did use all clinique etc etc to avoid perfume. I still avoid products with perfume.

Boots do their own cleaners etc in plastic bottles with blue (unperfumed) or green ( cucumber) tops and the cleanser is just over a £1- and it's nice cleanser. Superdrug do similar things.

best tip is keep the sun UVA/UVB off your face all year round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now