Talk

Advanced search

Straight hair won't straighten! Why (stamps foot)

(20 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:34:36

I have straight hair but when I straighten it it flicks out at the ends.

Why????

I use lee Stafford poker straight heat protection and aveda serum. Am I missin something? I blow dry it with a paddle brush first. It flicks out when wet at the ends.

Any advice would be appreciated I've washed it 3 times today and bought new straightners that heat up to 230c and I'm driving my DH mad about it.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:36:22

Missing not missin

thisisyesterday Sat 25-Jun-11 21:36:49

i don't know much about this kind of stuff.... but why do you need to straighten your hair if it's already straight? confused

maybe that's the problem. maybe it's sooooo straight it ends up trying to go curly grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 22:14:12

It's straight all the way down till the last inch then it flicks out! Which looks crap on me.

It straightens but it used to stay straight but it doesn't now so there must be a product I'm missing out on

BitOfFun Sat 25-Jun-11 22:16:16

Have you dried the ends out too much so they just kind of go into their own spasm?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 22:35:32

Aaahhh, yes you could well be onto something there. Thank you I'll try again tomorrow.

BitOfFun Sat 25-Jun-11 22:43:36

It sounds like you need a trim.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sat 25-Jun-11 22:45:19

how long is your hair? If it sits on your shoulders that can cause it to flick out.

Or maybe you are straightening it differently, maybe turning it out instead of under?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 22:48:28

Had one Thursday. New style so I'm having problems getting the layers to look as sharp as she did. She put volumising spray at the roots and mouse but nothing at the ends it stayed put though.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 22:53:07

Coffee it's just on the shoulder I'm trying really hard to keep the straightners moving straight down. I had waist length hair till oct when I had a chin length bob and it's all down hill since then.

Least now it's longer dh doesn't sing dill the dog when I walk by. I hadn't even heard of dill the dog before.

mittenkitten Sat 25-Jun-11 22:55:16

If the upper layers are shorter than the bottom layers that will make it flip out.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:00:30

Yes mittenkitten they are, is this a mistake then??

mittenkitten Sat 25-Jun-11 23:09:48

No, no, assuming you are happy with the cut. But if you are set on having your hair look poker straight all the way to the ends it isn't going to happen right now.

That said, all layered cuts need a week or so to "settle," after which they seem to get much easier to work with.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:14:07

I loved the cut before I washed it. She def did the bottom layers straight, sort of pointy finish to the sides and front and shortest back layers.

mittenkitten Sat 25-Jun-11 23:18:16

It sounds nice! Don't worry at it. A week from now you'll love it again. I don't know why this is true of layered cuts but it just is. In fact I read somewhere that if you have a layered cut and you are going to have photos taken you should make sure you have a week or so between haircut and photo.

sungirltan Sat 25-Jun-11 23:21:37

use a ton of serum but not too much conditioner as this will make it a bit fluffy. if hyou want to re straighten dont keep washing it - you will make it worse. when my hasir was shorter i used to tip my head to the side so the hair was already hanging vertically away from my scalp - was easier to just pull the straighteners down.

otherwise try and ignore it ofr a few days and let it settle - it will look good soon dont worry but if you really cant do it go back and ask the stylist for guidance.

i dont know who dill the dog is but there was a dog in the magic roundabout called doogle

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:22:13

Thank you all ladies you have helped calm down. Dh can stop googling divorce lawyers.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:26:22

Dill the dog was in the herb garden with parsley the lion, dh 46 so he remembers it but I'm 34 so I only remember doogle too.

sprinkles77 Sun 26-Jun-11 00:45:15

I think it might be the length...have you just had it cut? Mine does the exact same thing when it sits just on or just below my shoulders...is better if slightly shorter or slightly longer.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 26-Jun-11 10:38:32

It also depends what sort of layers she has cut in your hair. If I get my hair layered and it isnt 'square' cut then it flicks out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now