Talk

Advanced search

How do I get perfect nail polish?

(11 Posts)
Butyoucant Fri 24-Jun-11 21:39:27

Hi MNetters

After being a nail biter all my life I have finally managed to stop over the last few months and they are now at a nice length.

I've found that by always having varnish on it stops me biting. My problem is that I can't seem to put it on without getting tiny bits on the surrounding bits. It's only noticeable close up but I know they are there!

Does anyone have any tips please?

TattyDevine Fri 24-Jun-11 21:42:08

Not really apart from getting one of those pens that you can use to easily melt off the mistakes.

Practice, practice.

And have a gin and tonic first, its ever so hard when you have the delerium tremors... wine

K999 Fri 24-Jun-11 21:42:50

Don't go right to the very edges when applying. This also makes your nails look longer. If you make mistakes, dip cotton bud in remover and gently wipe off.

ceebeegeebies Fri 24-Jun-11 21:44:47

Mmm I do mine in the evening and then pick the bits off the side in the morning (or they come off in the shower themselves) - voila, perfect nails the next day blush grin

Butyoucant Fri 24-Jun-11 21:45:29

Thanks

Strangely after a glass of vino tonight I seem to have done a better job even with a dark colour!

Are the cheapies as good as the more expensive ones? Trying to build my collection up.

blabalalalablabla Fri 24-Jun-11 21:46:54

You just need to do three paint strokes - one in the middle and then one on the left and right - don't go right up to the edges.

ceebeegeebies Fri 24-Jun-11 21:49:27

I am a bit of an aficionado with nail polish - best ones are the expensive ones (nails inc, OPI etc) but Rimmel ones are fab - long lasting and great colours smile

Meglet Fri 24-Jun-11 21:53:15

Sally Hansan quick dry, no chip top coat is my secret weapon. I can get 5 good days out of a varnish with that stuff on top.

starjules Fri 24-Jun-11 21:58:38

Hi, best not to go to close to the edges but that gets better with practice. If I do get any on the edges I just wipe it round with a dry cuticle stick. (you can get cheap packs of those in boots etc and I just keep one just for this)

Polish quality really does depend on the makes, on the cheaper brands Barry M is fab and has lots of good colours, they quite oftern to 2 for £5 or only £2.99 each, also GOSH in superdrug is good, but if you want a splurge then OPI is the best for unusual colours and the glitters they do are second to none. You can usually get OPI at a salon or some John lewis stores do them too.

My other tip is to always use a base coat as this protects your nails from damage and staining and also helps the polish stay on. For the best finish I always use a top coat as it makes the polish super shiny and lasts longer, if you also get a top coat with a quick dry in it to you can be out the door with touch dry nails in 10 mins!

Ryoko Fri 24-Jun-11 22:03:35

I just chuck it everywhere and then use the end of a nail file to crack it along the edge and peel it off.

blabalalalablabla Fri 24-Jun-11 22:29:38

I've recently discovered Orly nail polish and it has lasted about 3 weeks so far (on my toes) without a chip in sight. Very impressed with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now