Talk

Advanced search

how many clothes do you buy?

(11 Posts)
Vi8 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:39:54

I've just got some pieces in the sales

1/ White Company mac (two very old macs in wardrobe, not as nice) and linen trousers (I only have another pair of linen trousers about 4 years old, and a cheapo pair from Primark),
2/ Zara harem pants and silky blouse
3/ new pair of Birkenstocks from TKMaxx

I don't plan to buy anything else this season, but somehow I feel guilty... I work as a teacher, part-time, and have two kids, so very busy.
Question: how many clothes do you buy, how often, do you always get rid of something else, and how long do you keep clothes?

cazza40 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:44:50

I spend about 150 pounds a month on clothes on average. That could mean quite a few things from h and m or one item from whistles. I don't feel guilty as I don't really spend much on going out and I don't smoke etc

Mumelie Fri 24-Jun-11 19:45:24

a lot and too much grin

Vi8 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:46:22

Right, do you compensate by getting rid of similar things you own?

cazza40 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:49:17

I take at least one bag of clothes books etc to Oxfam each month this also includes clothes my daughters have grown out of

strawberryjelly Fri 24-Jun-11 19:49:43

That's a hard question.

I work from home 90% of the time but have clients come here- but can get away with smart casual. I have very little formal wear.

This summer I've bought a trench coat from Mint Velvet, couple of T shirt like tops but smarter, one smartish dress , a summer skirt, a cardi,and some cropped chinos.

I tend to buy more winter clothes as woolies eventually bobble. Il ive in jeans, cords, casual short skirts and boots.

I am quite ruthless with stuff- once it's tatty or really out of fashion ( I don't do high fashion anyway) it goes on ebay or charity shop.

I've put an order in for the Boden preview of around £500 but that's doubling up on sizes and styles, so may keep half at the most- includes cardigans, jumper, 2 coats and a skirt.

I tend to buy fewer clothes but only buy things I know i will wear. Last years I padi £100 for a pair of trousers from Jigsaw which was a lot for me, but they are good quality and I'll get years out of them.

LemonDifficult Fri 24-Jun-11 19:50:36

Don't feel guilty! That sounds sensible - always have a good coat - and you bought stuff you needed and wanted in the sales.

I tend to buy quite a bit in spurts (generally if I'm in a thin mood) and then not again for ages. I'm in a Purchase Frenzy at the moment because of a combination of Sales and chucking all maternity wear out. Usually I'd never think of shopping as 'replacing', though, I'm just not that organised.

strawberryjelly Fri 24-Jun-11 19:50:56

cazza £150 a month! bloody hell- how do you wear it all? I'd be pushed to spend £200- £300 each season, excluding a coat and boots.

mosschops30 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:52:18

I buy stuff when i like it or need it. I have bought a few things recently cos im sick of looking the same on every holiday.
I am constantly putting stuff in charity bags, if it hasnt been worn for a year, it goes out, or if it looks crap

Vi8 Fri 24-Jun-11 23:06:14

I don´t buy a coat and boots every year, they do last for years if they are good quality... but then I know have quite a few coats I can´t part with as they are all different. I keep fantasising about a clean, practical and austere capsule wardrobe of quality pieces... reality is more caotic!

SevenAgainstThebes Fri 24-Jun-11 23:46:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now