Talk

Advanced search

DIY highlights

(7 Posts)
applecrumbleandcream Fri 24-Jun-11 16:40:37

I have really dark brunette hair and usually have highlights at the salon to lighten it up a bit (just through the top section). The stylist has to use bleach as it is so dark before putting a toner over the top of the bleach to create caramel/honey highlights. I have now got to the stage where I am sick of forking out at the salon for highlights at £70 every couple of months and just wondered if it is something that I could create myself at home? If so, what would I need to do this? As I couldn't use foils (obv not a stylist) how would I get the bleach through the hair? Any help appreciated from all the hair experts out there smile

cybboid Fri 24-Jun-11 16:48:19

I personally wouldnt attempt it! I woudl find a home hairdresser or go to a training salon

TattyDevine Fri 24-Jun-11 20:15:25

Yes, you can do it.

Buy the Scott Cornwall Foil effects cap, some bleach powder and some 40 volume peroxide (Jerome Russell)

In addition, buy the colour you want your highlights in semi permenant or permenant (i.e for caramel, probably a dark beige blonde or honey blonde/dark golden blonde)

There is a magnificent booklet inside that tells you how to do it - in a nutshell, you pull the hair through, bleach it, rinse it (with the cap still on), dry it, apply your semi, rinse it, make sure you are happy with the colour, then rip the cap off and do an all over hair wash.

Its called "true toning".

You can do it!

Boots or Superdrug.

TattyDevine Fri 24-Jun-11 20:24:41

this bad boy

Maybe this for your highlights

or this but not the foam get the original

applecrumbleandcream Fri 24-Jun-11 23:04:13

Thanks Tatty that's fantastic, going into town tomorrow to get all the gear, will report back!! smile

applecrumbleandcream Fri 24-Jun-11 23:14:14

Tatty, could you use this once you have pulled the hair through the cap?

TattyDevine Sat 25-Jun-11 08:06:11

That is exactly the one you can use. Excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now