Talk

Advanced search

Habitat in Administration

(22 Posts)
mippy Fri 24-Jun-11 12:16:34

OK, so it's tenuously S&B, but I liked their magnetic picture frames.

belcantwait Tue 28-Jun-11 20:41:40

Well I for one am very very sad as I have worked for them for 11 years and am now losing my job sad all of us our devastated sad(((((

wimpybar Tue 28-Jun-11 20:47:37

sad belcantwait, i loved habitat too but could only afford the smaller bits and pieces and kitchen stuff - i had my eye on one of those great massive purple sofas too

end of an era

belcantwait Tue 28-Jun-11 20:48:04

Ps you will still be able to get your frames on the website and in the 3 London stores [watery smile]

trixymalixy Tue 28-Jun-11 20:51:07

I was in on Monday. The poor bloke taking my order had found out on the news that he was losing his job. First and foremost I'm gutted for the staff, but I'm gutted personally as I loved habitat the furniture was such good quality for the price and they always had lovely quirky accessories.

So sad to see it go.

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 28-Jun-11 21:28:43

Sorry belcantwait. I'm gutted too, it was really good for crockery and little presents. Especially love their Christmas stuff.

tulpe Tue 28-Jun-11 21:34:30

It is sad to see a major high street name go down the pan sad However, maybe I am mistaken but I thought they were being bought by someone else?

I went in to our local store today and they had "closing down" signs everywhere with 20% off. I left after a few minutes because it just felt a bit inappropriate for the poor staff really - the place was heaving whereas it is usually empty.

trixymalixy Tue 28-Jun-11 21:43:41

I kind of agree tulpe, it was a bit like vultures circling instore yesterday. I think the majority of people from what I could see were wanting to complete sets if china or cutlery, or like me bedroom furniture before it was too late. I don't think most people were there for the liquidation sale.

trixymalixy Tue 28-Jun-11 21:50:08

Christmas just won't be the same without a trip to habitat :-(

mippy Tue 28-Jun-11 22:31:49

There was a thread on moneysavingexpert within hours of it being announced. i remember the fuss kicked up on that website about Woolworths - the closing down sale not good enough, apparently.

niminypiminy Tue 28-Jun-11 22:45:13

I went in on Monday too, happened to be passing and wanted to get a new duvet cover (always buy duvet covers from Habitat) and felt really sad for the staff especially as it was unusually busy. There's been loads of things I've coveted from habitat over the years and never been able to afford.

Ixia Wed 29-Jun-11 01:10:24

Ours (Isle of Man) is classed as international and a franchise, so fortunately we get to keep it and the staff get to keep their jobs. DD and I love mooching round in there, but I only buy the smaller things and sale stuff. Love their picture frames and fairy lights, bought some v. reasonable melamine picnic stuff today.

PssstOverHere Wed 29-Jun-11 10:10:27

I feel awful for the staff, as always in these circumstances, but I think Habitat has been over priced and trading on its name for a long time.

When we have been looking for things we often found similarly styled items in Next or even M&S for quite a bit cheaper.

trixymalixy Wed 29-Jun-11 12:29:50

The difference is that the quality of the habitat furniture was far superior and will last for a long time. The two sets of bedroom furniture I have from habitat are solid wood and such good quality whereas next/ikea will be chipboard and veneered. I guess people these days just want some cheap throwaway junk though.

That's awful that people were moaning about the woolworths liquidation sale not being good enough when people were being made redundant without receiving redundancy pay.

dexter73 Wed 29-Jun-11 13:11:42

I don't think people want cheap throwaway junk, it is just that they can't afford Habitat prices.

PssstOverHere Wed 29-Jun-11 13:39:04

Trixy I think that Ikea stuff of course won't last anywhere near as long as Habitat stuff, but the Next and M&S things I've found to be very similar, solid wood, proper joints in the drawers, certainly not chipboard and veneer.

I have a dining table from Next, solid oak and very beautiful and I have a sideboard from Habitat, both a few years old. If you didn't know otherwise you would think they were part of a matching set and I can't see any difference in the quality at all. I also have an ikea chest of drawers in our bedroom, looks nice, does the job and I doubt I will take them with me when we move so i was happy to get chipboard and veneer.

I think that whilst people don't want throw away junk, I think the days of buying a bedroom set and keeping it for 50 years are gone. When my parents married one side of the family bought them 'their bedroom set' and the other side bought them 'their dining room set' and that was that, furniture for life (of course, its since been replaced).
Expectations have changed, people want to redecorate and re-style their houses so something that will last for say 5-10 years is all they need. So spending the extra £300 for a £700 tallboy from Habitat rather than the £400 from Next doesn't seem worth it, unless you are fortunate enough to be able to afford the extra £300 in brand name.

belcantwait Wed 29-Jun-11 16:04:32

Tulpe and trixy that's exactly what it's like... Vultures swarming, some moaning stuff isn't reduced enough, lots of lovely customers saying how sad it is and how they love the shop and yet they're not customers I recognise and we remember all our regulars hmm unfortunately if it had been this busy over the past couple of years we would probably not be in this situation now sad. Was my turn tohave a little cry today sad((

MackerelOfFact Wed 29-Jun-11 16:56:01

Oh this is so sad. I grew up with Habitat furniture, all my parents' stuff from when they first got married was from there and it stayed looking lovely and fairly up-to-date for a good 20 years. Simple designs, solid wood, chrome fixtures.

I love going in and wandering around and maybe buying the odd item of crockery or picnicware or novelty lighting, but sadly most of it is too expensive - even during sales. I too was lusting after the massive purple sofa!

ToscanaBambina Wed 29-Jun-11 17:40:50

I am so sorry to hear this. And Belcan, so sorry you are losing your job sad

The quality between Habitat and Next for example is incomparable imo.

I love a lot of Habitat stuff - we have tonnes of furniture from there, particularly bedroom. I loved their bubble champagne flutes too. Wish I had bought more now.

belcantwait Wed 29-Jun-11 17:52:18

Thank you for your kind messages smile

No there is no comparison to habitat its classic contemporary and stylish. Nowhere on the high street comes clOse imo.
Ah well at least all the stuff and furniture I have accumulated over the years will be worth something!!
The purple Louis sofa will be sold off in stores, get your names down quick if you want one! I wanted it in pink but it won't fit thru my cottage doors (and we already have 4 sofas ;)) x

trixymalixy Wed 29-Jun-11 18:55:44

I'm sure people would rather not have junk, but they want cheap and throwaway ergo they get junk. I think it's very sad that people no longer buy investment furniture, and it's one of the things that's wrong with our society at the moment. Too much waste and wanting something new all the time.

I also think next and habitat are incomparable, I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eyes than buy anything from next! Next and stylish are two words that do not belong together!!

topsmart Wed 29-Jun-11 19:12:24

Ah, I'm sad. I do love a good wander round habitat. And I got tokens for my birthday so i'd better crack on and use them...will they still be valid, I wonder?

As others have said, usually can't afford anything. But I did bagsie the purple louis 3-seater last month from an outlet store for a bargain £800, hurrah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now