Talk

Advanced search

Mum says this outfit is awful. What do you think?

(40 Posts)
wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:12:13

I went to a low key day time party at the weekend and wore this topwww.monsoon.co.uk/blouses+shirts/essouira-blouse/invt/82307318/ and these pants www.michaelkors.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod11030002&parentId=cat18018&masterId=cat102&index=9&cmCat=cat000000cat102cat18018

I thought I looked okay, but my Mum says she doesn't know what has happened to me. 'You used to look so glamourous.'
I feel confused and sad.

Did I really look that bad?

transferbalance Fri 24-Jun-11 11:13:30

that top looks a bit shapeless

but I'm no S&B guru

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:15:34

It is a bit...but very silky. I thought something tight with the pants would be too too.

I wore these sandals www.lkbennett.com/shoes/sandals/CSMARIA100LEATHER

pallymama Fri 24-Jun-11 11:16:24

Blimey, if that's not glamourous enough for a low key day time party, I don't know what is! (Disclaimer, I am NOT glamourous!) Does your mum wear ball gowns to tesco? grin

BunnyLebowski Fri 24-Jun-11 11:17:02

Well I'm not mad keen but it's hardly worthy of your mum's comment hmm.

The top looks baggy and shapeless and the print is a bit meh. The trews are very Liz Hurley.

Like I said not my taste but not that bad!

Columbia999 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:20:57

Nothing wrong with the outfit, but I nearly fell on the floor at a pair of ordinary looking white trousers costing nearly $700! shock

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:21:13

My Mother has never forgiven me for getting past thirty...where she lives anyone under fifty dresses like they are in TOWIE...fake tan and hair extensions a go-go...

kyacat Fri 24-Jun-11 11:21:24

I think that's a really nice outfit for a summer daytime party. Love the shoes! The trousers are tight so I would do the same, pair them with a loose top.

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:21:53

Columbia - bought in the states at much less than that.

Columbia999 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:22:49

Phew!

HettyAmaretti Fri 24-Jun-11 11:26:04

Both perfectly nice items. Unless you've very tall and slim I the top may make you look rather large and shapeless. You could try wearing a belt over it to give some shape and make you look more put together.

Maybe like this or [[ this]]?

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:29:44

Yes I will try a belt next time...that one from Hobbs is nice.

I suppose I was just a little taken aback that I was expected to be 'glamourous' for a small gathering in a wine bar for someone's sixty fifth birthday.

Mums best friend's daughter wore www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1456&pageNumber=2 with v high heels. and apparently looked 'stunning'. TBF she did look nice but it seemed a little overdone to me.

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:30:57

Sorry the dress in the link is the Fulham Dress with the hearts and red bow.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Fri 24-Jun-11 11:33:03

If my Mum criticises what I wear I know I'm getting it right ;-) The day she shops in a shop I usually buy clothes from I'm so out of there.

HettyAmaretti Fri 24-Jun-11 11:33:55

Oh, lost the second link, you get the picture.

Sounds like she was just being a bit bitchy. She's from another generation, of course, what she considers right may for such a 'do' may well be overdone / totally unfashionable / wrong now. Times change.

cumbria81 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:35:16

I think it depends on your body shape. The trousers are very tight so if, like most of us, you're not a 6 foot stick insect, it might be hard to carry them off.

HettyAmaretti Fri 24-Jun-11 11:35:41

Ah, yes, she's suffering from oldies disease. The dress is OK, but would look overdone for an afternoon do, by today's standards IMHO.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Fri 24-Jun-11 11:38:28

Fulham Dress is quite TOWIE. I think your outfit sounds perfect. Does she let you criticise what she wears?

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:38:46

Trousers are tight - am a slim size twelve, and the top covers arse and tops of thighs, ending at mid thigh.

Agree with Hetty - your Mum's friend's daughter was overdone.

I suspect you looked fabulous - I am envy of anyone who could wear those trousers grin

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:40:09

Jx4 - she is always critisising what I wear. And my hair.

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:41:03

Alibaba top very forgiving (which is why I wore it). I wouldn't do the trousers with a short top a la model.

frantic51 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:43:13

I think the outfit you wore is nicer than the dress for an afternoon do. Wasn't keen on the shoes, I'd have probably gone for a pair of ballerina pumps but then I can't stand "dressing up" grin (and I like to be comfy [old gimmer emoticon]) wink

frantic51 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:46:12

Oh hang on, didn't realise the top was that long. Probably best with the shoes you chose then! grin

wordfactory Fri 24-Jun-11 11:59:38

Am a fan of ballerina flats...but with tight trousers I feel a bit like a golf club iykwim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now