Talk

Advanced search

Getting white socks really white - sounds like a Daz advert!!

(8 Posts)
applecrumbleandcream Thu 23-Jun-11 14:58:41

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for getting my dd's socks really really white. Even when they are brand new and have only been worn once they never look really white. Have tried all sorts of things - Glo white, Vanish, bleaching in a bucket!! Nothing works and now just wondering whether I should just buy grey socks in the first place. Any recommendations appreciated?

jamaisjedors Thu 23-Jun-11 15:40:31

Try good housekeeping here

wendihouse22 Thu 23-Jun-11 15:43:23

Aldi's whitening powder you add to the wash! Great value and works better on whites than Vanish. Needs to be a hot wash though.

worldgonecrazy Thu 23-Jun-11 15:54:56

Put them on the line in bright sunlight to dry, rather than tumble drying. The sunlight bleaches out a lot of organic stains.

Dosey Thu 23-Jun-11 20:47:48

soda crystals in with the wash powder drawer works wonders and hanging out in the sun too x

CMOTdibbler Thu 23-Jun-11 20:59:59

Napisan

applecrumbleandcream Thu 23-Jun-11 21:08:30

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, few things to try there and I'll have a look over on good housekeeping thread too!

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 23-Jun-11 21:13:54

wash on 60 with towels. (but this weakens the elastic more quickly I find)
Something else I do is buy 7 pairs in Peacocks which are only £3. So if a pair get really terrible I bin them. (dd will say for example she has been running about on the field with no shoes on!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now