Talk

Advanced search

So I had my colours done and now I need to know what accessories you'd wear with this kind of thing......

(21 Posts)
sweetheart Thu 23-Jun-11 10:12:02

I had my colours done on Saturday and I am a light, cool something or other (basically a summer)

One of my best colours is apparently light blue sort of like this
www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Tea-Dress-In-Blue-Floral-Print/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1576989&cid=8799&Rf-400=53&Rf-200=17&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Multi

and also this
www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/blouson-maxi-dress_229311340

The trouble is I've no idea what colour accessories you'd match with these two dresses in terms of jewellery, shoes, cardigans and bags?

Does brown work with them? I don't really like to wear black with blue and besides that black is not one of my colours!

rubyrubyruby Thu 23-Jun-11 11:00:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ellangirl Thu 23-Jun-11 14:10:07

tan, not brown would be nicer, but if you're a summer you don't want the tan colour to be too orange-y. Also silver/pewter/grey/nude/another colour from your colour chart. Did you go to house of colour or another one?

sweetheart Thu 23-Jun-11 14:23:24

I went to House Of Colours.
Tan isn't really one of my colours and I wear brown much better than tan.

My neutral colours were:-
pewter - not sure how to discribe it really, it's sort of a mid to dark brown
stone
ivory
light and medium grey
taupe (sort of beige)
sage
light navy blue
and a sort of teal blue colour

other colours in my book are:-
lemon yellow
turquoise
light aqua
purple
lots of shades of blue
mint green
red
a few pinks - not neon but more like rose and baby pink
white

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 23-Jun-11 14:27:23

grin That sounds like pretty much ALL the colours, Sweetheart!

I'm curious about getting my colours done but terrified too - I'll end up being told to wear colours I hate or having to chuck everything out.

sweetheart Thu 23-Jun-11 14:48:19

ha ha - it does doesn't it. But it doesn't include colours like orange, ruby or aubergine, emerald, black etc! It's all to do with the shade and depth of the colours too - like I can only wear light / lemon yellow NOT deep or bananna yellow's.

I have to say it was ALOT of information to take in in 2 hours and I've had to buy a book to review everything she told me.

Luckily most of my wardrobe was already grey, brown and blue so I haven't got much to throw out. I'm having a style consultation tomorrow (body shape and that kind of thing) so that's when I'll strip all the crap out my wardrobe.

PippiLongBottom Thu 23-Jun-11 14:53:18

How much do you have to pay for all that? Were you in a rut with your clothes or something? I see it mentioned so often on mn but reckon its too pricy for me.

sweetheart Thu 23-Jun-11 15:06:03

the colour consultation was a birthday present so I'm not sure how much it cost. The style review is about £90 and i think it lasts 1.5 hours. I figured both are a better investment than buying lots of rubbish clothes which look crap which is what I've been doing!

SpangleMaker Thu 23-Jun-11 16:37:59

Since you're a light/cool I'd go lighter with the cardigan and shoes. Maybe pick out one of the accent colours in the flowers (sorry, only looked at first link) for any jewelry.

Pippi I just had a full image review with Colour me Beautiful and it was £190 for two sessions - a couple of hours over colours and make-up and another 2.5 hours on wardrobe. I had to bring in a few outfits to the second session so she could help me see what did/didn't work and why. Definitely money well spent IMO - I've chucked out clothes worth way, way more than that over the last few years due to buying things on impulse that didn't suit me.

cruelladepoppins Thu 23-Jun-11 20:21:14

I would go for taupe/nude shoes.

Not sure about cardis - I am very unimaginative and tend to match mine to a colour in my dress.

I would go for a delicate necklace with the floral dress - you don't want anything that's going to "fight" it for attention. The other one could take something a bit more solid. Did they tell you whether you are gold or silver for jewellery?

Lovely dresses by the way.

jem1980 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:55:48

something like this cardigan with the second dress?
www.next.co.uk/g80810s1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=googleps#122101g80
...and stone shoes?

Or a silver cardi and shoes for dressing it up?

The ASOS dress is harder, as the yellow colour that there are bits of is not one of your colours, but I would probably go with white cardi something like:

www.newlook.com/shop/womens/knitwear/cornelli-trim-cardigan_212248610

Loving the asos dress - it's one of my colours too! (although haven't officially been told - bought a book!)

sweetheart Thu 23-Jun-11 22:15:41

They didn't tell me about jewellery but I know I'm gold rather than silver. It suits me much better.

ellangirl Thu 23-Jun-11 22:23:26

I'm a bit confused. If it was House of Colour and you are a summer, then they should have explained that you should be wearing silver jewellery. They should also have explained a bit about coordinating outfits using the colours from your palette, mine certainly did. At the end of the day, you can listen to as much or as little of their advice as you like, just want to make sure you actually get your moneysworth!

RipMacWinkle Thu 23-Jun-11 22:45:01

I agree with ellangirl - HOC have Spring and Autumn in Gold and Summer and Winter in Silver.

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 23-Jun-11 23:14:48

I agree that if you're a summer silver s your metal - can't see how this didn't come up as the first thing they do to determine whether you're 'cool' or warm' is check how gold and silver look against your face.
I'm also a summer (sweet pea), but I think the palette is basically the same - it's just the proportions of how you mix them up, or which ones are your 100% colours that changes.

I've built up a few silver items accessory-wise, plus I find dark navy useful - not as easy to find as black. Then I have a few sort of creamy-brown/grey pearly things. Basically I try and cover all my neutral shades, so I can always match whatever I wear.

Belts - have a blue, grey, nude, dark red, brown, teal - again can match with most of my neutrals and everything goes with denim anyway.

sweetheart Fri 24-Jun-11 10:07:45

we didn't talk about silver or gold at all. I really don't like silver, I don't think I'd wear it even if I was told it was mu colour.

PippiLongBottom Fri 24-Jun-11 10:10:46

What do you think about this book for those of us that are a bit skint?

sweetheart Fri 24-Jun-11 11:47:02

That's the book I've just brough to go over everything I was told at my appointment in more detail. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but will let you know when i do.

Really looking forward to my style consultation tonight. I've been internet shopping like mad so hopefully she can talk me through the new stuff and make me up some new outfits!

WhatsWrongWithYou Fri 24-Jun-11 14:06:36

Ooh please report back on the style consult - for me, this was a total eye-opener! It took me a long time to come to terms with it and really be able to see what clothes suit my 'type,' but now I don't have to think twice and it's made such a difference.

Hope you enjoy it.

WhatsWrongWithYou Fri 24-Jun-11 14:07:08

Forgot to say, you could ask about the metals thing as well.

sweetheart Fri 24-Jun-11 14:49:35

yes I will do as the woman doing the style consultation also does colours. Glad it's made a real difference to you. I'm hoping this will all help me develop a more capsule wardrobe and waste less money on crap just because it's in fashion!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now