Talk

Advanced search

Hair dye advice for 50% grey hair!

(9 Posts)
banapple Wed 22-Jun-11 22:58:06

I need some advice help me! Naturally I used to have mousey hair with highlights which always suited me. The thing is now I'm about 50% grey so for last few years been having whole head tinted a dark blonde colour (8? shade) at hairdressers which looks lovely..... until 3 or 4 shampoos later! It gets lighter and lighter but turns a slight orangey/ yellow colour. I want my hair to be a similar shade to..... let me think....felicity Kendal but am looking more like Joanna lumley (sorry Joanna)! Any advice greatly received!

Curiousmama Wed 22-Jun-11 23:46:21

I think you need to have a few shades put through in foils/meche. Naturally hair isn't one shade anyway. If you have high and lowlights then the roots won't be so noticable. Or do you do it at home?

banapple Thu 23-Jun-11 22:29:29

Thanks curiousmama will ask hairdresser about lowlights next week!

Curiousmama Thu 23-Jun-11 23:50:35

ok hope you're happy with it smile

TattyDevine Fri 24-Jun-11 09:32:30

So Felicity Kendal

She's basically blonde with no major overtones, slightly ashy if anything, certainly no beige or golden/warm tones.

This means your "base colour" could come up to a medium or light ash blonde instead of the number 8 you've been having (so up to a number 9 with an ashy tone if that's suitable for your level of grey - not sure, ask hairdresser)

Then you probably just need some bleach slices to give it that creamy multi tonal look.

You could possibly stop having a base tint though - and just go 2 different types of foils/meche. Presumably you are happy to keep having it done at the hairdresser.

On a side note oh my god, isn't Felicity Kendal such an inspiration. If only we could all age like that. She's just so clasically pretty and manages to carry on being so without looking muttony or twee. In my opinion anyway. Gah. I will just keep telling myself she is a genetic anomoly

TattyDevine Fri 24-Jun-11 09:34:09

You might notice your roots less if you have foils only. Or you might notice them more. Depends a bit on how much grey and what kind of grey you are.

You would certainly have less "colour fade" problems, specially if you had some bleach highlights.

shineything Fri 24-Jun-11 22:58:52

Thanks tatty only thing about bleach is that it makes my already dry and frizzy hair dry and frizzy!I find tinting not as damaging but it doesn't look as nice.

Butterbur Sat 25-Jun-11 08:23:39

I'm about the same amount of grey as you- maybe even more. I have the bottom part of my hair (roughly from the top of my ears downwards) tinted a mid ash colour, and gold and ash highlights through the top.

The regrowth is visible, but not too in your face. I have it redone every 5 weeks.

I have no solution to the fading though. I've tried using those colorcare type hair products, but they just don't work. Does anyone have an answer?

Curiousmama Sun 26-Jun-11 10:23:36

Redken products are fantastic. I worked in a Redken salon for eons and had great results with them. You can only buy them in salons though afaik?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now