Talk

Advanced search

can I cut a pair of wellies down?

(10 Posts)
missymissmiss Wed 22-Jun-11 12:43:22

I am vertically challenged smile have some lovely new wellies but ideally should be a few inches shorter than they are on my calves... tempted to cut them down, but not sure if it will work? anyone know?? thanks

WowOoo Wed 22-Jun-11 12:45:50

Can you cut very neatly? A sharp knife would be good and draw the line in pencil on the inside.
Is the edge going to be visible?
Is the plastic covering thing likely to peel of if you cut it?
I have short wellies - I got them from a children's shop in the sale. Fab!
I'd do it if sure you won't ruin them, especially if expensive ones.

iskra Wed 22-Jun-11 12:48:03

Hm, my grandparents cut down old wellies to slop around in in the garden. I would be very careful to cut very neatly & evenly. They won't look sealed iyswim, you will see the rubber outer & the cloth lining...

GrimmaTheNome Wed 22-Jun-11 12:49:15

Hm, don't know - do you have any old ones you could try first?

I'm using kids wellies too - I bought DD a pair of size 2 'town and country' and they perfectly fit my short fat legs size 4 feet

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 12:50:30

If this happens you could get a funky or countrified looking welly sock (whichever you prefer) and fold it over the top bit

Aworryingtrend Wed 22-Jun-11 12:55:50

I think they will look a bit rubbish TBH. What shoe size are you? I'm a 4 and Millets childrens wellies go up to a size adult 5 and theirs are shorter.

Matalan have half height wellies in at the moment.

missymissmiss Wed 22-Jun-11 13:36:54

great ideas thanks, i tried folding them over, looks okay but slightly snug around the top.. they're not expensive wellies, i'll see if i can find a pair of old kids wellies to test, but if all fails i can try the welly sock thanks tatty

sprinkles77 Wed 22-Jun-11 15:01:19

if your plans to cut do not work, know hunter do short boots, might find cheap on tinterweb.

missymissmiss Wed 22-Jun-11 15:48:31

thanks sprinkles the wellies i are heeled ones! i'm not very good in flats grin

AutumnWitch Wed 22-Jun-11 16:26:07

I did this with a pair of rubber riding boots. They had a tape sewn over top that I took off and re-stitched when I'd cut them to length.

It worked fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now