Talk

Advanced search

Bleached hair disaster

(18 Posts)
LubyLu2000 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:38:56

To cut a long story short (no pun intended!) I have almost totally white hair (premature greyer!) which I have been dying dark brown/black for 20 years (I'm 39!). Thinking it would be great to no longer be a slave to the dye I decided to try and go as blonde as poss to either a) let the white grow in and see what it looks like or b) at least if I stay blonde the white regrowth won't be anywhere near as noticeable as with black hair (2 weeks and I already have a white line). Went to hairdressers last week having previously brought it down to a mahogany shade, got it all chopped into a pixie cut (which I love) and she did 2 treatments and then put some kind of colour over the top. Basically it's very gold looking and I hate it!! I look like I'm wearing a wig. I'm not too sure but I think it's too warm for me - I'm pretty sure I'm a cold colour person - really suited black hair and strong colours so am hoping I would suit cold white blonde/platinum.
It's very dry but I've spent a week slathering it with conditioners and I'm going to go back tomorrow to see if I can get it lightened some more.
Sooooo...... my question is what should I ask the hairdresser to do?!
Thanks for reading, sorry it's a bit long!

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 13:07:49

You need a silver/purple toner.

She will know what to do, don't worry.

Its easily sorted.

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 13:08:35

You basically need one of these

WhipMeIndiana Wed 22-Jun-11 13:08:51

keep with the treatments too, try a hot oil one

WhipMeIndiana Wed 22-Jun-11 13:09:28

take some pics in to hairdresser as I found my idea of blonde was v different to theirs grin

LubyLu2000 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:24:06

TattyDevine - thanks for the link, I'd vaguely heard of that but wasn't sure what it was. But I've been told that my hair's still probably a bit too dark for something like the blue/violet shampoos or toner to have any effect. Mind you I may well need it after tomorrow's potential disaster! I live abroad but am going to be back in the UK next week and into my head office so dreading going in until I get something sorted with this mop on my head!

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 14:11:51

Would you say you are still Brunette but too ginger or warm?

In that case you have 2 options.

Buy a "light ash brown" permenant colour if you think your hair is up to it, and use that. That will kill out a lot of the gold tone, though admittedly might bring you "down" a shade in the darkness ranks.

Secondly, if you can get to a shop that sells Aveda shampoo and conditioner, get yourself some "black malva" shampoo and conditioner. Its the brunette equivalent of violet shampoo, but its darker so has more effect. It is basically an ash-giving tone for brunette hair.

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 14:12:49

Brunettes use Black Malva to kill out the mahogany/red/gold shades that often prevail when their colour is fading or if they chose the wrong colour and/or if their hair throws out a lot of gold during the lightening process.

LubyLu2000 Wed 22-Jun-11 18:51:10

Hi
I wouldn't say I was still brunette at all - it's probably a kind of ginger/gold colour - possibly a bit strawberry blonde although I'm not 100% sure what that colour looks like. I think one of my main problems is that I've got very white hair so the closer it gets to the root the more colour they manage to strip out. She did actually put an ash colour over the top the first time that she did it but it didn't properly cover the white regrowth at the roots - although that doesn't bother me so much cos it's not really really noticeable.
I've been putting a hair mask on every day (even slept in it a couple of times!) and I'd say my hair is still dry but definitely less dry than last week so hopefully it would be able to stand another bleaching. Do you think it's okay to get it done again after a week?

pinkyp Wed 22-Jun-11 18:58:51

Basically your going to damage your hair even more weather you bleach it today or In a couple of weeks. So as long as you know it will be very dry for ages then go for it! If u want perhaps you could just have your t-section lightened again? (the bit on the top) so you will have highlights, this should blend the White in much better whilst keeping your hair in ok condition, keep getting more highlights put in every time & after 2-3 times it'll all be more or less a similar colour. Also if u can afford to you want to get a silver shampoo (wella do s good one)

LubyLu2000 Thu 23-Jun-11 12:48:18

Just thought I'd let you know that I went to hairdressers today and basically they did loads of foil highlights (I think that's what it is in English!) and then some more bleaching and it is a lot lot lighter now. It's possibly slightly yellowish so I may try the Wella Silver toner or one of those blue/purple shampoos - do you happen to know if somewhere like Boots or Sally hair supplies would stock it cos they don't have it online?
It's very blonde now and I've got a lot of white showing but as my ultimate aim is to get it totally white and see what it's like I don't mind that so much. It is taking a lot of getting used to though cos I've always been brunette so it'll take me and everyone around me a while I think!!
Thanks for your posts.

TattyDevine Thu 23-Jun-11 18:20:05

Absolutely. Try a purple shampoo first if you've had more bleach. In boots look out for Lee Stafford "Bleach Blonde" shampoo and conditioner, and also "hot shots" for blonde hair. Sally would have loads more to choose from but that Lee Stafford one you can definitely get in boots.

LubyLu2000 Fri 24-Jun-11 07:21:36

Thanks smile

LubyLu2000 Fri 24-Jun-11 10:00:02

Woke up this morning and thought it was looking really yellow so went out and managed to get the l'oreal silver shampoo but I've just tried it and I would say it hasn't made the slightest difference. I think I will try and get a hold of the Wella Silver toner now. Hair trauma!

inneedofchocolate Fri 24-Jun-11 10:15:55

I've bleached my hair a lot and I always use a product called Redken extreme anti-snap after I wash and condition my hair. You definitely need something on beached/ over-coloured hair to avoid breakage and this has lots of proteins in it. Sallys have a shampoo called Blue Frosting which is supposed to remove brassiness but the best shampoo I found is called Touch of Silver by Pro:Voke and it's a weekly one that really works and only costs a couple of quid. I found it in my local Lloyds pharmacy with all the Granny hair setting lotions!

LubyLu2000 Fri 24-Jun-11 10:55:31

I reckon it's all possibly a bit hit and miss until you find the product that suits your particular hair. I've tried skin products in the past, namely the Boots serum that everyone raved about and a) I couldn't see any difference and b) it actually seemed to react badly with the skin below my cheeks - very odd but I had terrible rough spotty dry skin for months until I eventually worked out it was the serum.
I'll give it another couple of goes with this shampoo and then see if I can get a toner. My hair's always been a right stubborn bugger - really difficult to cover with hair dye but now it doesn't seem to want to let go of its colour!!

iMum Fri 24-Jun-11 11:02:07

also mix toner into your conditioner to stave off the gold hues

pinkyp Fri 24-Jun-11 17:21:54

Go to sallys and ask for a toner - that helped mine loads better than the shampoos the shampoos stop it going as brassy so still worth using. Leave it on for a good few mins to work too but also remember to use s normal shampoo every couple if washes to stop getting a blue tinge to your hair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now