Talk

Advanced search

So if you could buy any serum at all which one would you chose?

(45 Posts)
Pagwatch Wed 22-Jun-11 11:05:39

I have tried boots, estee lauder and eve lom but don't love any of them

Which is the best?

MayorNaze Wed 22-Jun-11 11:09:33

i am loving avon glycolic acid one

but i think it is being discontinued sad

avon in general rated by noddy and cyb as well iirc??

aquavit Wed 22-Jun-11 11:10:55

what do you want it to do?

I have the Neal's Yard rose 'beauty elixir' (snort) and for quite a while I thought it didn't do anything much, though my skin was much improved (I thought from using their night cream). When I stopped using it I realised it was playing quite a big part itself - esp keeping tone even and everything nicely moisturised. So I like that one. but it doesn't do the same sort of thing as e.g. the protect and perfect one (which I HATE), ie take a layer of skin off.

laptopwieldingharpy Wed 22-Jun-11 11:15:19

I really love something called smooth 365 at the moment. Its made by the same labs as estee lauder and very similar claims to idealist at a netter price.
Pores are tightened, skin clarity improved, texture softer and firmer. Of course there a lot of optical effect with the silicones!

I have a very sensitive skin with redness and use very little else but pur argan oil otherwise.

laptopwieldingharpy Wed 22-Jun-11 11:16:34

Of course i would love to try la mer serum but don't want to flare up with burning skin and regret the investment

laptopwieldingharpy Wed 22-Jun-11 11:19:48

What is the best ingredient to look for?
Glycolic acid
Hyluronic acid
Vitamin c
Aha
I have no idea what really works and how? We usually have more than one issue? Combine?

polyhymnia Wed 22-Jun-11 11:22:23

One of Sisley's - they have several, for lines, radiance, etc - but they are daftly priced, even in the sales. Just started a new one by By Terry on my eyes, so will see if it makes a difference.

Pagwatch Wed 22-Jun-11 11:25:28

I tried by Terry cleanser and didn't get on with it at all.

See this is my point - I don't know what I want it to do, I just want to look better grin

I have middle aged skint so a full house - uneven , dryness, oiliness, wrinkles, dullness.......
<<cries>>

Pagwatch Wed 22-Jun-11 11:26:14

I wondered about creme de la mer as I have never heard any say anything bad except the price

aquavit Wed 22-Jun-11 11:32:01

I reckon that you should tackle dryness/oiliness with your cleanser (hot cloth/oil cleanser any use?) then avoid further exfoliation with the serum (I think that lots of people find the acid type ones are brilliant for a short period and then do nasty things) and try for something that will tackle dullness and unevenness, which would probably also moisturise.

Also try an oil overnight, they do great things.

Why not go and blag lots of samples?

CeliaFate Wed 22-Jun-11 11:35:22

I use Soap and Glory serum and it does a good job (am 41). Cheap enough too. Sali Hughes' column on serums

Pagwatch Wed 22-Jun-11 11:42:32

Oh thanks -that sali Hughes link is helpful.

ShakinScarecrow Wed 22-Jun-11 11:48:44

I love Tigi Rockaholic serum (blue squeezy bottle) - a little goes a long way and it smells absolutely divine! It costs about £8.
If you are a big serum consumer, I can also recommend trying an Afro hair suppliers - huge sizes of about 100 - 250 mls for a few quid.

winefairy Wed 22-Jun-11 14:52:42

Was it the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair? If so that's what I would recommend, Pagwatch, so now I'm a little stumped! I've tried the Creme de la Mer Regenerating serum and it was impressive although I thought more initially than long term and with very similar effects to the Estee Lauder but without the price tag.

I would second an oil.....I currently have Decleor Neroli on the go and it's good too.

Have you considered an overnight treatment like Guerlain's Midnight Secret (meant to be fabulous but gave me huge bags under my eyes! Rest of the world swears by it though!) or Lancome Genifique concentrate (again, people rave...I haven't tried it as still traumatised by Eyebag-gate and they are reputed to be similar).

Did you try the Estee Lauder with your usual night cream over the top (as I was advised). I slather a layer of Creme de la Mer over mine and say a little prayer to the Gods of Good Skin. Still wake up like a wrinkled old crone though and I'm seriously considering botox

Pagwatch Wed 22-Jun-11 15:13:00

grin

Yes, it was night repair. But I think I was trying other things at the same time so never really figured what effect, if any, it was having.
Maybe I will try it again.

I look great when I look in the mirror in the morning. Then I put my glasses on.... [sigh]

chipstick10 Wed 22-Jun-11 15:15:42

I buy my serum at costco, its a kirkland one i think and have been using it for a couple of years its lovely.

largeginandtonic Wed 22-Jun-11 15:21:08

Carrot oil from the body shop is lovely for an overnight serum.

I had a Decleor one a while back (forget name) that was fab for day use. Will look for a link.

kyacat Wed 22-Jun-11 16:52:16

can you put an oil over serum? I moisturise with jojoba oil but I want to try a serum.

bellavita Wed 22-Jun-11 16:55:47

Poly, it will be interesting to know about the ByTerry serum. I have just started to use the Gele Rose moisturiser which was ££ but so far it seems ok.

MissFoodie Wed 22-Jun-11 19:54:44

kyacat yes you can mix serum with oil, just do so in your hands then apply-
if you're looking for something "nasty free" I can recommend Oskia, v v good;

snailsontour Wed 22-Jun-11 20:36:28

A'kin Rosehip serum is lovely and reasonably priced - infact their whole range is rather good.

smallwhitecat Wed 22-Jun-11 20:40:54

Message withdrawn

talkingnonsense Wed 22-Jun-11 20:44:13

Clarins blue orchid oil is nice and their new ( expensive!) generation 6 serum is meant to be fab.

Fifis25StottieCakes Wed 22-Jun-11 20:51:14

Aussie long and lucious shampoo, conditioner and leave in conditioner

Ive been using it on the 3 dd's who have waste length hair and its been totally transformed. Im going to get some for myself grin

hellsbelles Wed 22-Jun-11 20:52:55

I actually tried one of the creme de la mer serums (it was a gift!) and it didn't seem to make a huge difference. I was expecting miracles though grin

However the Lancome genifique serum seems to have really helped. It doesn't give you an instantly hydrated effect but over about a month of usage it really did seem to improve my skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now