Talk

Advanced search

are Chinese dresses timeless classics?

(31 Posts)
hatwoman Tue 21-Jun-11 22:26:54

I have a great Chinese style dress - bought about 5-6 years ago. fits great, very flattering. quite a distinctive pattern of large roses on it. if I wear it to a wedding will it feel dated and out of step with everyone else or are they one of those things that are - kind of - always ok?

bethelbeth Tue 21-Jun-11 22:33:40

It's one of those things that has never really been 'in' fashion. But they are beautiful and if you're kooky enough to wear it then go ahead!

If you feel good in it that is all that matters!

FaffTastic Tue 21-Jun-11 22:51:23

Not something I would describe as a classic tbh. I had one about 12 years ago which I wore a few times. Must have given it to charity and have never ever regretted that decision. Never felt the need to wear one since nor have I seen anyone else wear one.

If you like it though and it's your 'style' go for it.

BunnyLebowski Wed 22-Jun-11 00:47:10

Nope. Unless you want to look like Twist from Spaced.

bishboschone Wed 22-Jun-11 01:35:48

I got married in a blue cheong sam 11 years ago and my friend just got married in a silver one this year. I would say they were and aquired taste but why not wear what you like ? I agree they are very flattering so if you are happy then wear it .

BitOfFun Wed 22-Jun-11 01:51:01

I think they are beautiful.

Aworryingtrend Wed 22-Jun-11 08:23:28

They are beautiful but others have said not a 'classic' in the sense of the little black dress etc. A friend wore a chinese dress to my wedding 4 years ago and looked stunning- but she is Malaysian and a size 8! bitch envy

otchayaniye Wed 22-Jun-11 08:25:01

Qi Paos you mean? You ever seen In the Mood For Love?

Unstylish? Odd? Kooky?

You lot are mental!

They are lovely. Worn with the right accessories they are timeless and very flattering.

GetOrf Wed 22-Jun-11 08:42:48

I think they are beautiful, I do think however you have to be tiny to wear it, I don't think they suit those with a significant bust or childbearing hips. They also look better on petite women. I tried one on once and looked like a complete fool.

eyethangyou Wed 22-Jun-11 08:45:58

agree with GetOrf. I tried one on and looked like an overstuffed satin cushion. And I'm only a 14... My reed-thin best mate looks delectable in hers envy

otchayaniye Wed 22-Jun-11 08:46:12

That said, I think the fabric is important and the shiny embroidered synthetic sateen that many off-the-peg qi paos are made from isn't always that nice.

Nice 50s/60s tweedy patterns, plain embossed black silk (Shanghai Tang make a lot of these) Something that won't crease horribly when you sit down.

They are flattering as they hug the figure and fall at the knee. I would say the very large of bust should maybe steer clear (plus unless you get made to measure you'll never get the buttons up)

otchayaniye Wed 22-Jun-11 08:48:17

ah, Getorf made the point earlier. Size 10s and under look best in these these

GetOrf Wed 22-Jun-11 08:52:40

And short. They are not made for tall people.

hatwoman Wed 22-Jun-11 10:25:10

thanks all. I tried it on last night and am having doubts - tbh not because of the cut - which is particularly good - but the flowery pattern. I've found a picture of it so you can judge away. it looks white in teh picture though - it's actually quite a dark/rich cream. if you zoom in you can see that it has a few pleats across the hips - which are v flattering.

It looks better on. in fact I would never have even tried it on had a shop assistant not suggeted it. I am petite - and I've never had so many compliments as when I've worn it. but I must admit I think I've gone off it.

HappyAsIAm Wed 22-Jun-11 10:34:12

I really like it. I don't know why, but I had in mind something red or turquoise from your first post. But that is just lovely. I would wear it (I am a size 10 and 5 foot 1 inch tall). I really like the pattern - a very English take on the dress.

allhailtheaubergine Wed 22-Jun-11 10:37:46

That's much classier than I was imagining.

Aworryingtrend Wed 22-Jun-11 10:48:32

That is beautiful! Not what I imagined at all- definitelywear it.

FaffTastic Wed 22-Jun-11 12:58:39

Not what I imagined at all. Thought you meant a long dress rather than short. Not sure if the pattern looks a bit 'granny's sofa' but if you like it and get compliments on it wear it. Think it's classy rather than a classic iykwim.

aftereight Wed 22-Jun-11 17:13:56

That's a lovely dress!

UnrequitedSkink Wed 22-Jun-11 17:29:55

S'gorgeous. Wear it and wow them all.

DonaAna Wed 22-Jun-11 18:03:51

It would look really great for a wedding. Really a gorgeous shape and a pretty nontraditional take.

Cheongsams are classic, but they were also briefly very trendy 5-10 years ago. A lot of Hollywood stars wore, them I distinctly remember Nicole Kidman, and I wore one too, with matching dark lilac lipstick [cringe]

It makes all the difference that yours isn't a poly-blend souvenir from Beijing.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 22-Jun-11 21:45:45

About as classic as wearing chopsticks in your hair, sorry!

ENormaSnob Wed 22-Jun-11 22:18:46

I think they are really really dated.

<I haven't actually looked at the picture though>

hatwoman Wed 22-Jun-11 22:21:41

from other people's reactions it may be worth looking at.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 23-Jun-11 16:59:50

I think they're timeless and have never been in fashion, therefore are never in danger of being out of it! They are quite distinctive so you need to 'own' the look with great accessories and hair, and of course look as if you're loving wearing it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now