Talk

Advanced search

Very strong body scrub with AHA or similar

(9 Posts)
roary Tue 21-Jun-11 21:57:28

Any recommendations? I suffer appallingly with ingrown hairs. Tend skin doesn't really cut it. I used to use an obscure AHA scrub that I can't find any more but it did the job. Am looking for replacement!

roary Wed 22-Jun-11 09:37:19

Bump?

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 09:51:57

I would keep your scrub and your AHA separate. Use whatever scrub you like the feel and smell of.

Then, apply a small dab of this under your body lotion - then your acids are staying on your skin, so are more effective.

That's Beta Hydroxy acid, if you specifically want Alpha Hydroxy then use this which is the same price, and a lot stronger.

If you need something cheaper, a great tip from a much loved S&B poster I saw yesterday was to buy a bottle of Witch Hazel (200ml or so), decant some into another bottle to allow for fizzing, and disolve a 16 pack of aspirin into the witch hazel. Aspirin is salycilic acid, which is beta hydroxy acid. So essentially the same thing. Then I guess you could apply it with a cotton wool pad to your legs.

roary Wed 22-Jun-11 09:55:18

Thanks Tatty. The witch hazel/aspirin thing is essentially tend skin and doesn't seem strong enough sad I'll try the Paula one. I am so sick of the bumps!

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 09:59:02

If that's the case I'd get the 8% gel. I reckon a little would go a long way if you are talking lower legs. Sorry I didn't see the "tend skin" bit or know what that is <<naive>> but glad you've heard of that. Go the 8% alpha then - sounds like you were having good results with alpha.

At least then you know you are doing everything you can because you can't do much more than 8% alpha really.

I actually quite enjoy the odd ingrown hair blush , you squeeze it like a blackhead and this little plug of sebum comes out and then you tweeze out a really long curly hair!!! Gross but oh so satisfying. I don't get many though, maybe 2 per leg once a month, so they are a rare treat <<weirdo emoticon>>

roary Wed 22-Jun-11 10:00:47

Tatty if I knew you better you could pop mine smile Can't stand 'em. Terribly itchy and painful.

more weirdo emoticon

HonestyBox Wed 22-Jun-11 10:03:45

I've got a very strong body scrub for you wink. Mix a cup of coarse sea salt with some olive oil then rub that all over. Then rub yourself with lemons cut in half - it is pretty intense.

TattyDevine Wed 22-Jun-11 10:05:54

I guess the lemons would have a pretty high AHA content?

Then again, price of sea salt, lemons and olive oil these days, I reckon the gel is cheaper grin

Pros of Paulas choice: You can use it on your face
Pros of Lemons: You can put them in a Gin and Tonic.

Lemons win, hands down... grin

HonestyBox Wed 22-Jun-11 10:49:35

Exactly grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now