Talk

Advanced search

Hot cloth - am I doing it wrong?

(19 Posts)
Elemental Tue 21-Jun-11 14:26:51

At the age of 37 something bad has happened to my skin. It has always been oily, but not so much for the past few years. A few months ago I was getting more spots than normal so started doing the hot cloth thing with a flannel using either Simple face cleanser or Soap and Glory hot cloth cleanser. I also used the Soap and Glory No Clogs Allowed face mask once or twice a week. And my skin has never been so bad! I have developed little lumps under the skin all over my skin, cheeks and forehead, and have blackheads too, when I haven't had them for years!

I don't think I was being overly harsh with the flannel, but is this something that can happen with this method? Don't know what to do with it. Am now using No7 face cleansing wipes as they are a bit gentler and my skin looks slightly better, but I don't know how to get rid of all the tiny lumps....

TattyDevine Tue 21-Jun-11 14:32:18

Nah. It might be the cleanser but it aint the cloth.

Sounds like little buried whiteheads that need lancing out! Ooh I wish I was there, its so satisfying popping them out.

If I were you I'd carry on exfoliating using a different method if you have lost your nerve with cloths, have a proper no nonsense deep cleansing facial with extractions, and change cleanser. It might not even be the cleanser or the product - it could be hormones, diet etc but what you need is a proper deep cleansing facial with extractions and get the pretty lady to pop your lumps!!!

TattyDevine Tue 21-Jun-11 14:35:19

I have to say I used to have this kind of skin when I was younger - its because I have very small pores and "tight" skin (not such a bad thing now my hormones have calmed down) and the only thing was a facial with steam and extractions and a skilled beauty therapist getting rid of them for me.

If your skin is dehydrated, that wont help, and dont' assume it needs less oil or moisture either - sometimes more moisture and oil and hydration will aid your skin, and help release this kind of thing.

AHA's (fruit acids) may help too but I suggest you see someone for a decent facial - no fluffy pampering crap, with candles and all that bollocks, you need a scary woman with a bright light, a sterile needle and a massive magnifiying mirror.

Elemental Tue 21-Jun-11 14:38:25

God, never had a facial, that sounds a bit intimidating! It would take her ages, with all the lumps that I suddenly have. Will look into that, ta.

valiumredhead Tue 21-Jun-11 14:46:47

I'd stop using the masks, and see if your skin calms down.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 21-Jun-11 14:48:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elemental Tue 21-Jun-11 14:52:28

Great, cheers. Stopped with the mask a couple of weeks ago but nothing, and the spots continue to come....

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 21-Jun-11 15:12:37

I get the exact same thing with really high factor sunscreens.

Have you tried liz earle? The cleansers so good, I have oily skin and it's so much better now.

dexter73 Tue 21-Jun-11 15:15:08

I use this cleanser from Boots. It is lovely.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 21-Jun-11 15:29:20

You should use a muslin cloth rather than a flannel. Liz Earle sell them, along with a lovely cleanser. Although I actually prefer extra virgin olive oil!

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 21-Jun-11 15:33:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

webbywonder Tue 21-Jun-11 15:33:43

i find its very poor for eyemake up - prefer Bifacil

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 21-Jun-11 17:22:16

No, sounds interesting though. I've never had a problem with feeling oily after cleansing. I do use a tiny bit only though, and wring the cloth out well, so it takes pretty much all of it off. Never do it in the morning either.

valiumredhead Tue 21-Jun-11 18:12:42

Am tempted by the Boots cleanser - will try it --next time I have a £5 voucher--soon

neuroticmumof3 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:07:59

I've had terrible problems with acne, especially the lumpy under the skin spots that really hurt, over the past ten years or so and have tried a lot of products. My favourites are Elemis Papaya Enzyme Mask which is a gentle calming exfoliator followed by Elemis Lavender Repair Mask which is calming and healing. Would also highly recommend Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish as that's very soothing. Decleor Ylang Ylang Oil is superb and won't aggravate sore blemished skin. Eventually I went to the doctor and have been prescribed long term antibiotics, these have been like a miracle at getting rid of all the lumps so it might be worth your while seeing your GP.

BadPoet Tue 21-Jun-11 20:58:36

Sorry to hijack - but who does these scary extraction facials? I've had a few facials in my time and it's been all mood lighting and whalesong, smearing scented gunk on my face and wiping it off etc. What should I be looking for?

willybreeder Tue 21-Jun-11 21:28:25

Micordermabrasion is fantastic! It's basically a deep exfoliation where a vacum and crystals help to slough out the very top layer of skin making it perfect for the skin you describe. A few months before my wedding I started to massage my skin with Bio Oil and got the results you describe, a course of micro dermabrasion sorted it out.
I do the hot cloth method but use Superdrug Vitamin E cleanser and a clean face cloth (IKEA). That keeps it relatively spot/blackhead free

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 21-Jun-11 21:56:07

I had extraction with a facial and it hurts like hell. I've had microdermabrasion and that was good. I always book them as late as possible so less people see me all red and blotchy.

fairiesandcupcakes Thu 23-Jun-11 17:54:19

Hi, just come across this thread and had to reply.
I have had acne since I was a teenager, am now 33. I do not suffer from large spots just small spots under the skin and blackheads. I have tried everything from high end to low end products and all of them aggravated my skin. It seems that you cant have sensitive oily skin!!!
Anyway for the past few years on and off I have been using Sage skincare products, they are an american based company. All of their products are aloe vera based, not water based as so many products that you can buy here are. They are incredibly gentle and very soothing but most of all they work!! Well they do for me, I have tried using other products to save myself from having to order from the US but nothing works better for me than Sage. They are not too expensive either when you compare them to Estee Lauder etc. You should have a look at their site as Barbara has some fantastic articles on skin, they are so informative and really helpful. Also she custom formulates skincare, so once you have ordered a try me pack you have to fill out a skin analysis form and Barbara will custom formulate the products to suit your skin type.
All of Sage products that I have tried are fantastic, you should have a look at her site even if it is just to read the skin articles. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now